COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can we please hear more about animals?

As someone who is hoping to use his considerable flat county area to raise milk or wool/fiber producing animals, I'd like to ask of we could hear more about planned animals and the production capabilities of what have already been announced. For instance, can trison be shorn (I've recently heard of bison fiber IRL, but of course the game isnt IRL.) or milked? Possibly both? What about drys elk? I know it's a lot of questions but it would be nice to have a bit more info.

Count of Raberre's Rest

9/20/2019 9:07:02 PM #1

Make sure you do not have cold hands if you try to milk a Trison!

9/20/2019 9:24:17 PM #2

If you do have cold hands, make sure you've got your good running shoes on and have someone slightly slower with you holding the bucket 🙄. But in all seriousness, I'd love to have more info about breeding the animals.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

9/20/2019 9:34:33 PM #3

I also would like to learn more of animal husbandry and genetics of breeding etc.

9/20/2019 10:08:48 PM #4

I'm on the fence about this. When I played ark, it was fun finding out what animals could do and provide via taming. I rather it be the same for CoE but at the same time, if you are spending money on that animal, you should at least know what it does before you decide to spend money on it.

9/20/2019 10:17:33 PM #5

Yes I would love to hear more about this also.

9/20/2019 10:53:04 PM #6

Posted By Deftly at 11:08 PM - Fri Sep 20 2019

I'm on the fence about this. When I played ark, it was fun finding out what animals could do and provide via taming. I rather it be the same for CoE but at the same time, if you are spending money on that animal, you should at least know what it does before you decide to spend money on it.

Yes agreed, I don't expect all the answers but an idea of the level of detail that animal husbandry will go into would be nice. For example with breeding: How many genetically diverse individuals will be needed to start a breeding herd? Will we need to provide fresh breeding specimens down the generations to prevent inbreeding? Can we expect to be able to use selective breeding to encourage traits that we desire in our animals?

It might be very detailed with selective breeding and herd genetics etc. However it might be as simple as sticking a male and a female in a paddock for a few days and ping, an offspring appears out of thin air. It will probably be somewhere in between the two extremes, but it would be nice to have more of an idea of where there heads are in regards to this.

9/21/2019 4:01:46 AM #7

Erm, presumably trison have cloven hooves, so no to shoes, if there's any resemblance to rl. The fact their hooves spread takes some of the reason for shoes out of the equation. Not sure why you were wanting to, anyways, perhaps for combat purposes, although there is no reason to presume the game will be concerned with that minor a detail anyways.

But irl I don't think anyone has ever shod a cloven hoofed animal. You would have to do 2 little shoes on each hoof, and I'm not certain the walls would be thick enough or strong enough to take nails, although that's kinda shot in the dark speculation.

9/21/2019 5:11:27 AM #8

Posted By jonnyz at 9:01 PM - Fri Sep 20 2019

Erm, presumably trison have cloven hooves, so no to shoes, if there's any resemblance to rl. The fact their hooves spread takes some of the reason for shoes out of the equation. Not sure why you were wanting to, anyways, perhaps for combat purposes, although there is no reason to presume the game will be concerned with that minor a detail anyways.

But irl I don't think anyone has ever shod a cloven hoofed animal. You would have to do 2 little shoes on each hoof, and I'm not certain the walls would be thick enough or strong enough to take nails, although that's kinda shot in the dark speculation.

no, no. Shorn, not shod. As in sheared. Like to harvest hair or fur or wool. Like I said, bison hair is used to make fiber, but i dont know if anyone past the native americans and some small startups have used in in modernish times.

Count of Raberre's Rest

9/21/2019 11:47:30 PM #9

Yeah, sorry, eyes fast, brain slow.