COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Trade, Crafting and Resources - Impact of Variety and Quality

I am sure this has been discussed to some degree in the past (in fact, I probably have a post or two myself on the topic!) But since we now have maps with resources, I thought it would be worth taking a look...

Looking at the DSS maps, every kingdom has access to every type of base resource. Assuming (maybe wrongly) that citizens of the kingdom will be able to easily broker trade with each other, It got me thinking about how important inter-kingdom trade will be based on need for raw resources.

While every kingdom has “minerals”, for example, we of course don’t know if that means every kingdom has every type of minerals. But for the sake of this discussion, let’s say we’re talking about Iron, which will likely be common enough to be available in all kingdoms.

Given that, do we feel there be variance in the quality, but more importantly the “variety” of Iron mined from region to region? For example, would there be properties of iron that could make it more desirable for a given purpose so that you’d seek out Iron from a specific region (or a broker that deals in that type of Iron?)

I think we know that properties of raw materials will be imparted unto a crafted product made from them. In this context… making a cannon out of Desert Iron is preferable because of _ but if you only have Northern Iron on hand that’s completely viable.

Will that be a thing? Will that be a thing that for me, as a master cannon crafter, to consider sourcing the best (for my purpose) type of Iron from far away lands?

You can draw this idea out to every type of raw resource, from food to animals, etc!

Again, apologies if this has been discussed before… :)

World Class Indoorsman

9/22/2019 8:58:42 PM #1

I think that with materials like iron ore, we're dealing with hidden costs of 'production,' more than anything else. Minerals are formed over very extended periods of time, so variance would be based on mining efficiency, skill, tools, etc.

It's going to come down to the skill level and resources available to the people Doing Things to the ore during the process of refinement.

I plan to craft with materials that are grown, so I definitely share your concerns.

9/22/2019 9:37:25 PM #2

Whatever they decide, I just hope they keep it within a realistic scope for a game that already has grand ambitions for many of its features. I'd rather we not get stuck in Development Hell waiting for every feature to have microscopic detail...

9/22/2019 11:21:05 PM #3

From before, I remember Capsian stating to change the properties of a boat you can change the wood it is made out of. I could see different types of wood being in different biome. I think just to make it easy for people to understand they may not have a different type of iron, it would just be a different material altogether. Having desert iron, swamp iron, mountain iron, savanna iron, etc would be very confusing and a lot of keep track of assuming you would do the same for silver, gold, and other minerals. That's not even touching alloys.

9/23/2019 5:46:38 PM #4

Not sure if you guys ever played Star Wars Galaxies, but you may have heard tell of the great resource and crafting system there.

Part of what made it great is that the resources you could find would directly impact the output of the crafted good... for example, to make a blaster you need "iron" but iron itself had a list of properties.

This means you could be in possession of really high quality "iron" for this purpose, and therefore supply a master crafter who could in turn make a run of blasters that were unmatched.

Until someone discovered a vein similar in quality again, that is :) But until then, regular every day iron was used for regular every day blasters.

Even then you could still choose to make an item out of a completely different metal either because it had different properties or you just happened to have it on hand.

That's where this really comes in - I would like the flexibility to create something that requires metal, out of any kind of metal. If it requires copper, or "requires" iron or copper, that takes a lot of potential choice and flexibility and ultimately customization out of it.

If I need copper, I'm now simply required to acquire it from Kingdom X, and that's it. I'd rather Kingdom X have the "best" copper for my application, but I could also choose too use local copper since I have it on and and need to keep costs down.

The current promotion of KSversary talks about the rare ingredient rewards in this way:

"These resources will be from a collection of unusual items gathered from distant shores or hard-to-reach ecotopes. Each ingredient has its own special properties that are passed on to any item they're used to craft"

So that gives me a little hope that resources from different areas will possess unique properties, which are passed on to the crafted output.

Or at least that resources can have their own properties :)

World Class Indoorsman

9/23/2019 7:53:23 PM #5

For CoE, since crafting is skilled base and you can have different tiers of equipment. The quality of an craft would most likely be a combination of player skill, character skill during the gathering, processing, and crafting phases, items used in the gathering, processing, and crafting phase, also your location (guild, school, etc), and your tribe.

There will be rare materials for sure though.

9/23/2019 9:09:19 PM #6

Posted By Deftly at 3:53 PM - Mon Sep 23 2019

For CoE, since crafting is skilled base and you can have different tiers of equipment. The quality of an craft would most likely be a combination of player skill, character skill during the gathering, processing, and crafting phases, items used in the gathering, processing, and crafting phase, also your location (guild, school, etc), and your tribe.

Yes! And I hope that means the gathering is skill-based also, and a miner, or farmer should have the ability harvest materials commensurate with their "skill" (player or character) to do so.

That's where I think the individual properties of raw resources could be especially interesting.

What if we both find a gold vein, but because I'm more skilled can extract gold successfully that has a much higher density value (suddenly, I can make a golden sword that's effective in battle, rather than just for a parade ;)

I dunno, it's all wishes and speculation at this point... I can see not wanting to make it too "complicated" for sone players, but on the other hand if a game like CoE can't/won't tackle that... will anyone?

World Class Indoorsman

9/23/2019 9:25:38 PM #7

Posted By Lethality at 5:09 PM - Mon Sep 23 2019

Posted By Deftly at 3:53 PM - Mon Sep 23 2019

Yes! And I hope that means the gathering is skill-based also, and a miner, or farmer should have the ability harvest materials commensurate with their "skill" (player or character) to do so.

That's where I think the individual properties of raw resources could be especially interesting.

What if we both find a gold vein, but because I'm more skilled can extract gold successfully that has a much higher density value (suddenly, I can make a golden sword that's effective in battle, rather than just for a parade ;)

I dunno, it's all wishes and speculation at this point... I can see not wanting to make it too "complicated" for sone players, but on the other hand if a game like CoE can't/won't tackle that... will anyone?

The plan is to have everything skilled based. Hopefully, it is like that. That blacksmithing post snipe made some time ago spoke about blacksmith and the processing of ore. I want to say, a skilled miner would be able to extract more good from the node, a skill processor(not sure what this guy would be called) would be able to separate more gold from rock, and then a skilled smelter would be able to smelt a better bar with the materials.

Even if CoE doesn't live up to everything, I think we need a game like CoE to do well. Bigger complains don't want to touch anything close to this because they don't want to lose out on the casual audience money. After playing tons of mmos, I believe having player skill and player knowledge matter in different areas other than combat is the key to making better mmos.

9/23/2019 10:11:46 PM #8

Some of it will be down to logistics as well. Take my Kingdom, Ashland on NA-W for example.

I live waaaaay up in the northwest portion of the kingdom, along the border with Aranor in the Duchy of Fioralba. Now, my biome (microbiomes notwithstanding) does not have any trees at all. Across the border in Aranor, they have abundant amounts of pine.

So while it is true that we do have "domestic" lumber available over on the east side of Ashland, it will likely be extremely inefficient and costly to haul it up and over all the intervening mountains to get it to my county in Fioralba. For that reason, I will likely be sourcing my lumber from Aranor via trade.

Logistics aside though, I think you all make good points as to the desirability of certain regional materials vs. local "average" materials. As long as we're able to use those average materials and not be forced to use iron from the other side of the continent (looking at you here, Life is Feudal MMO), I think the system will be fun and useful.

9/25/2019 7:37:15 AM #9

If they do make small differences in materials, it would make researching your trades be that much more time consuming... and awesome.

9/25/2019 7:56:31 AM #10

We do know a few things that are confirmed. There are different kinds of iron Cq normal iron and Bog-iron which in fact is an inferior kind of iron. (also really expensive to delve)

same goes for wood, we know that Ironwood is a resource we can use. Its very limited to as only Kypiqs have access to it. But its stated that it shares defensive values similair to smelted armors like iron.

As others stated I do think that the quality of the final good is determent by a few steps: 1- Refinement of the raw material 2- Skill of the crafter (lets say armorsmith) 3- Quality of the raw material 4- Quality of the used tools 5- Tribe modifiers CQ strength, dexterity endurance and speed.