COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Breeding

I know DNA comes into account when breeding. Does anyone know if will be able to actually see the dna or will it be more of just of you observe and guess if it's a better breed.

10/29/2019 4:00:47 PM #1

Don't expect this to be a genetics simulator. I'm expecting more Mendelian-pollen-experiment level of knowledge -- cross two things, get a new thing, record observations.

10/29/2019 4:20:09 PM #2

When I asked Snipehunter in Discord something similar recently, he responded that when you breed wild/game-tamed animals because they have observable traits that you like, you'll also be breeding in bundled traits you won't be able to see/identify, so there would always be some level of drift or uncertainty in the outcome. So it will involve a lot of experimentation, but also a continuing aspect of drift as we re-breed things over generations, and keep introducing new DNA into what seems like a stable proposition.

Conversely, when I asked about breeding pre-tamed animals, like those bought in the store, he was less clear, but indicated that we should expect that their genome would be much more stable. I took this all to mean that if we breed those pre-tamed animals, we might get the most predictable results, but see little or nothing new in doing so. And if we want the chance to see novel characteristics arise, we'll have to accept managing the uncertainty, and always chase the dragon's tail. They've said it won't be a full genetics simulator, but it sounds more robust, and variable, than simply crossing an "X" version/quality of an animal or plant with a "Y" to get that same "Z" you liked so much last time.

11/1/2019 9:38:28 PM #3

Still looking forward on a detailed DJ about taming/breeding.

Imgur