COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Item Fame

Can weapons, armors, and items, through great deeds become as famous as the wielder? For example, the player that slays a demon would gain fame, but what about the sword that was used? Or the armor someone was wearing when they barely survived a bandit attack with barely any health? The sword that killed the king? or the instrument that was playing when it happened at the ball? Could this items before famous over time and turn into something like a relic because of the deeds associated with it?

10/24/2016 7:14:29 AM #1

That would be cool, and it would be a shame if they did not implement it.

That is basically creating Relics through cool events in the story, and I think that would be awesome.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

10/24/2016 7:38:21 AM #2

The sword that has CDGed 1000 PCs hungers for more... Fear the Thousand-Soul Sword :P

It would be cool for weapons/armor/items to gain 'fame' or abilities upon reaching a certain (high set) status. It is a neat idea for sure. I wonder how practical it would be to implement though, knowing next to nothing about game design or building :P

10/24/2016 7:39:54 AM #3

Yeah, John Lichbane was the guy who killed that lich. Not too hard to guess really, given the King changed his name and all. Seems like everyone talked about him for a while after the festival in his honor. Last I heard he went off to some cave and never came back. Figures, really. You go looking for trouble and you'll find it. Why do you ask? His sword? Never heard much about his sword, good folks never tend to see it drawn and the bad folks that did never lasted long enough to tell of it. One of the fellas who fought alongside him said it shined in even the darkest dungeons, and that anyone cut by it never bled; like they got stabbed with a hot iron. Sounds like trison shit to me. Give a man a few drinks and he'll talk your ear off about anything. I guess there could be some truth to it though. Might be able to find out what cave it was he went off to if you ask around town, but I wouldn't go if I were you. He was the toughest guy I've ever seen, faster and stronger than any knight. Whatever killed him could sure as shit kill you.

It's not a problem, it's a plot hook!

10/24/2016 11:25:12 AM #4

^^ Claps I need more short stories about John Lichbane now tbh

I think a cool thing they could do is if u kill "boss monster X" then your weapon would get a name and "slayer of X" title. Would be a nice touch

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

10/24/2016 11:51:57 AM #5

Good idea at OP! Really like it. :)

@Emadagio: nice short story dude, you´re talented. :)

10/24/2016 11:58:11 AM #6

I really like this idea.

I also want a book on the collected tales of John Lichbane now

Coming Soon(tm)

10/24/2016 12:00:10 PM #7

This system is in the game! There are items called Artefacts (or possibly artifacts).

Artifacts are items that have taken part in some kind of Achievement. As a result, they become known items. They are named. All Artifacts have a passive bonus of some kind. Passive means it doesn’t get any kind of activate-able ability, but something that’s always true, even if you don’t realize you have an Artifact.

[Source Caspian on IRC back in April 2016]

So items can gain a name, gain a bonus, and you can spread the tale of your great artefact!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/24/2016 12:29:11 PM #8

I would imagine, that since the engine can already do stuff like bestowing talents to players, it should also be able to bestow special powers to items (making them relics). Really cool idea! Maybe some sort of post-processing by a smith could be used to inscribe a sword (or something else) with a name bestowed upon it.

10/24/2016 12:30:13 PM #9

Weapons and armor degrade over time and have to be replaced, so I really doubt they would putting that much effort into something you are meant to replace.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

10/24/2016 7:25:44 PM #10

Posted By Hephaestos at 05:30 AM - Mon Oct 24 2016

Weapons and armor degrade over time and have to be replaced, so I really doubt they would putting that much effort into something you are meant to replace.

What, you mean just like our characters?

It's not a problem, it's a plot hook!

10/27/2016 10:58:31 PM #11

Posted By eMadagio at 2:25 PM - Mon Oct 24 2016

Posted By Hephaestos at 05:30 AM - Mon Oct 24 2016

What, you mean just like our characters?

Awe, snap!

Actually, Hephaestos brings up a good point about weapon and armor degradation. Because a weapon can be taken apart and pieces of it replaced, perhaps none of the weapon components would ever degrade (but they could be destroyed or disassembled).

For example, the Sword of John Lichbane could be an artifact and the blade and hilt will never degrade. However, the blade can be removed from the hilt. Perhaps the sword loses its artifactory-goodness when it is disassembled, but this also hides its true power. The Sword of John Lichbane could be disassembled to hide it from those that would seek out its power for themselves, perhaps unknowingly gifted to John's two sons as two swords (one hiding the Lichbane Blade and the other hiding the Lichbane Hilt). Perhaps generations from now, when a new undead evil plagues the land, a decedent or the reincarnation of John Lichbane will find and reunite the Lichbane Sword and she will use it to slay the new threat as she did once before.

11/2/2016 9:05:37 AM #12

^^ talk of item degradation brings back a flood of memories about Angeal's buster sword after Cloud took horrible care of it^^

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

11/4/2016 3:28:13 PM #13

I'm rather new to all of this, but I love the ideas!

One thing that does bother me though, how in the world can a blacksmith become famous if his/her creations never become famous. Yea sure, he may be regarded as a blacksmith who creates quality gear, but EVERYONE will want a sword from the blacksmith that can create a legendary sword. Its like name brand versus value time.

Something I have also been thinking about is magical creations. Since only very few people may be able to actually use magic, and since the magic isn't always geared towards combat, would it not be fantastic to have a blacksmith who has reached such prowess that he manages to involve magic in his workings? (I.E. how the "Sword of John Lichbane " may have been created) (If there is already backstory on it, I'm sorry I'm not aware of it.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the developers did say that the possibilities are endless as to who you could be, right?

Guild Master

11/6/2016 2:42:53 AM #14

This is an awesome idea! I would love it to stretch to even tools, for example: The master blacksmith forged 10,000 swords with this forge or hammer. When forging a sword with this tool there is a better chance its quality or some attribute would be increased. You guys/gals have great ideas. The only problem with all this talk makes me wish it were already here.

Good food and strong drink!

11/8/2016 5:59:56 AM #15

I think it would be cool if items took on different characteristics after being used in significant events. For example, a sword used to CDG 100 people begins to emit a dark aura, or a sword used to kill a monster gets a blood stain on it that can never be removed and maybe can deal poison damage after that. I think these things would not only make it obvious to a player that they just did something really cool, but could also be used as identifiers in case someone wants to hunt down a certain lost item.