COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
What is spirit loss tied to?

So my question is simple, is spirit loss tied to your maximum fame or your identities fame.

Let me iterate.

1. I am a King, one day I decide to go hunting with my buddies, we grab our hunting attire and head out into the woods. At one point a group of nasty thugs attack us and when they hit us on the head, for good measure, they Coup de Grace me. From their perspective I am just a guy out hunting, so would I lose the basic amount of spirit or the 32x times of it?

2. Yet again I am a King, this time an assassin comes to kill me in the woods in the same situation, he knows I am the King, so how would the engine know, that he knows? Also would it make any difference, or I lose the 32x spirit every time I get coup de graced regardless of whether someone actually knows who I am?

So my question really is, can a Baron or Count can go on adventuring incognito with his guild without the fear of high spirit loss, maybe aside from the occasional assassination attempt, or would his proxies knowledge of him make him suffer the high amount anyway?

And as an added question how much fame does a Baron have, is it tied to the same settlement size? If so is it tied to the size of the resident population?

10/26/2016 4:42:41 AM #1

It's based entirely on fame last I heard. A king has high spirit loss because they're famous, not directly because they're king. Going incognito should not help you, as the point of the system isn't punishing you for being known by your killer, it's just making the more well known (and therefore desirable to many) positions harder to monopolize.

Edit: Here's the DJ.

It's not a problem, it's a plot hook!

10/26/2016 4:46:01 AM #2

Your fame is what decides this, or your infamy (depending on if you're good or bad) You suffer the 32x all of the time, anytime you are CdG'd as a King, or are legendary in fame - The soulbound system cares not who is witnessing it, just that you are a King and that you have died. :)
Unsure what fame rank a baron is. Probably "pretty low" if you scale it based on title. King 32 Duke 16 Baron 8, most likely

10/26/2016 4:47:00 AM #3

As a follow up I imagine someone who kills alot will ALSO be infamous and thus it will hurt more when it comes time for the punishment ;)

10/26/2016 5:12:26 AM #4

Posted By eMadagio at 06:42 AM - Wed Oct 26 2016

It's based entirely on fame last I heard. A king has high spirit loss because they're famous, not directly because they're king. Going incognito should not help you, as the point of the system isn't punishing you for being known by your killer, it's just making the more well known (and therefore desirable to many) positions harder to monopolize.

Edit: Here's the DJ.

I know the DJ, that is the reason I'm asking it doesn't go into detail regarding identities, it does say that Baron is x4 though, which I find odd, since Mayor/Magistrates vary depending on the settlement size

10/27/2016 1:06:00 AM #5

The system is designed to keep Kings or the like from seeking out risky play styles.

Wanna go out hunting alone? Alright, but if you die its gonna be a bigger deal than when some peasant dies. You have resources, you have guards/soldiers, use them.

Want to lead your soldiers personally as you all charge into battle? Alright, but you better make sure that your finest soldiers are protecting you on all sides, because you are gonna have a giant target on your head.

If you could avoid that spirit loss by being incognito, you would have alot more nobles playing riskier playstyles, which is not very characteristic of their role. You are a noble, so the game is going to encourage you to act like one. You CAN disguise yourself and move around incognito, but it should still carry risks.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

10/27/2016 3:15:11 AM #6

Posted By Apaukolypse at 03:06 AM - Thu Oct 27 2016

The system is designed to keep Kings or the like from seeking out risky play styles.

Wanna go out hunting alone? Alright, but if you die its gonna be a bigger deal than when some peasant dies. You have resources, you have guards/soldiers, use them.

Want to lead your soldiers personally as you all charge into battle? Alright, but you better make sure that your finest soldiers are protecting you on all sides, because you are gonna have a giant target on your head.

If you could avoid that spirit loss by being incognito, you would have alot more nobles playing riskier playstyles, which is not very characteristic of their role. You are a noble, so the game is going to encourage you to act like one. You CAN disguise yourself and move around incognito, but it should still carry risks.

That is good and well, but what about when you are being famous for anything else, like being a famous swordsman or a famous blacksmith, if you would die faster as a result of that, it basically means you are getting punished, for being involved in the story and playing "well".

10/27/2016 3:54:11 AM #7

Posted By Antaryon at 10:15 PM - Wed Oct 26 2016

Posted By Apaukolypse at 03:06 AM - Thu Oct 27 2016

That is good and well, but what about when you are being famous for anything else, like being a famous swordsman or a famous blacksmith, if you would die faster as a result of that, it basically means you are getting punished, for being involved in the story and playing "well".

It's all about balance and making sure everyone feels the sting of a death equally. If you are legendary and have legendary assets to use to protect yourself, you need a legendary punishment to feel it when you die.

10/27/2016 3:58:42 AM #8

AS above. It makes your decisons more valuable.

10/27/2016 8:22:47 AM #9

There are quotes from conversations about this on the IRC channel that can be found here.

Basically spirit loss is based on your actual fame. The fame you have got from the actions you have taken. It does not matter if other people do not know about those actions, for example they do not know you were the assassin that killed the king, or if you are trying to hide on a different identity.

It is all about risk and reward.

However, do remember getting up those fame rankings as a non-noble might not be that easy. A lot of people are going to be getting involved in the story and to move up the ranking you have to be more famous than the average. If everyone is famous, no one is. So it is only if you are 1.5 times more famous that the average fame, which will likely keep rising, that you move up to a known player. So not too much of a risk for most, but if you do get up there you are opening a lot of doors. You are putting yourself in the line for more work, more income, etc. So it is still that risk and reward balance. Higher penalties, higher rewards.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/27/2016 10:09:34 AM #10

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 10:22 AM - Thu Oct 27 2016

There are quotes from conversations about this on the IRC channel that can be found here.

Basically spirit loss is based on your actual fame. The fame you have got from the actions you have taken. It does not matter if other people do not know about those actions, for example they do not know you were the assassin that killed the king, or if you are trying to hide on a different identity.

It is all about risk and reward.

However, do remember getting up those fame rankings as a non-noble might not be that easy. A lot of people are going to be getting involved in the story and to move up the ranking you have to be more famous than the average. If everyone is famous, no one is. So it is only if you are 1.5 times more famous that the average fame, which will likely keep rising, that you move up to a known player. So not too much of a risk for most, but if you do get up there you are opening a lot of doors. You are putting yourself in the line for more work, more income, etc. So it is still that risk and reward balance. Higher penalties, higher rewards.

Thanks for the info, in that perspective it does make sense.