COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Will the world be round or flat?

Will the world be round or flat?

I searched once again and did not find an answer to this question on these forums.

Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toil of war have I fought and strove and perished countless times before So as through a glass, darkly, the age old strife I see - for I've fought in many guises, many names, but always me.

1/12/2017 5:19:25 AM #46

It will probably be round, but it might be a Truncated icosahedron.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1/12/2017 9:32:07 AM #47

Posted By chrizz996 at 02:42 AM - Wed Dec 07 2016

I think it will be round since if you look at the map you'll see at the bottom a little land popping up around the edge which will probably be new land that we discover as we play, though dont take my word for it its just wishful thinking on my part! / /^+^\ \

Posted By GonXavier at 04:01 AM - Wed Dec 07 2016

I think it will look square at start since we wouldn't be able to sail at sea until someone research big ships... Also they said it will be possible to discover uncharted places... so maybe it will take a while till someone discover the world is round

Just to point out. Being able to discover new land isn't proof that a land is round. Travelling in one direction until making your way back to your original location is. Discovering the "new world" didn't prove Columbus right that the world was round. It could of been just as possible for the edge of the flat Earth to be located on the other side of the American continent for what anyone knew until Magellan circumnavigated the globe.

If Elyria is flat it could still be possible for us to to travel out and discover may new lands before hitting that edge.

Imgur Imgur

1/15/2017 5:48:17 AM #48

I hope it's flat, just because it'll remind me of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/15/2017 6:36:32 AM #49

I hope it's round... Will make sea combat and invasions so much more interesting.

2/15/2017 11:07:47 PM #50

How many licks does it take to get to the center of the Tootsie-Pop? What came first, the chicken or the egg? Is the world of Elyria flat or round?

The world may never know :)

2/16/2017 1:28:54 AM #51

Posted By Caeoltoiri at 09:07 AM - Thu Feb 16 2017

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The egg. The predecessor of the chicken laid it.

Because evolution. :p

Imgur Imgur

2/16/2017 2:47:26 AM #52

Posted By Sharielane at 5:28 PM - Wed Feb 15 2017

You're assuming the absence of any environmental stimulus that may have changed what was the predecessor of the egg, into a chicken, post birth.

Also, you're defining a chicken as an egg-laying creature. But it may not have always been an egg-laying creature. Because evolution... :-)

That all said, we suspect the bird was likely an adaptation of an egg-laying reptile, which would indicate that indeed the egg came first. However, that begs the question of when life begins... was it technically a chicken before being inside of the egg, as soon as the DNA was sequenced, or did it only really exist as a chicken once it was hatched....

2/16/2017 2:50:47 AM #53

Or better yet, did Caspian... errr... God create the Chicken, thus the Chicken came before the egg?

These are important questions.

AQBanner

2/16/2017 3:18:30 AM #54

Posted By Emery at 03:50 AM - Thu Feb 16 2017

Or better yet, did Caspian... errr... God create the Chicken, thus the Chicken came before the egg?

These are important questions.

Mind blown "le gasp"

The coconut nut is a giant nut if you eat too much you get very fat! ;)

2/16/2017 4:54:43 AM #55

Posted By Caspian at 09:47 AM - Thu Feb 16 2017

Posted By Sharielane at 5:28 PM - Wed Feb 15 2017

You're assuming the absence of any environmental stimulus that may have changed what was the predecessor of the egg, into a chicken, post birth.

Also, you're defining a chicken as an egg-laying creature. But it may not have always been an egg-laying creature. Because evolution... :-)

That all said, we suspect the bird was likely an adaptation of an egg-laying reptile, which would indicate that indeed the egg came first. However, that begs the question of when life begins... was it technically a chicken before being inside of the egg, as soon as the DNA was sequenced, or did it only really exist as a chicken once it was hatched....

The question of when life begin is interesting.

regarding the way we solve most paradox by either give up both choices or take both choices then

IMHO, if we define a chicken as a (common sense)chicken that hatch from egg and not any time else until it is inside the egg then we could say it came together. as soon as the first chicken came the first egg of the chicken also came covering it.

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

2/16/2017 6:45:43 AM #56

Actually environmental stimulus has no ability whatsoever to facilitate speciation. Instead it is due to random chance that an evolutionary advantage interacts positively with the environment.

Evolution requires two things: a random, heritable mutation that confers a survival advantage, and that those individuals with this advantage differentially produce more offspring than others.

The predecessor of the chicken was almost certainly something almost identical to a chicken and very likely also laid eggs, the difference being something minor but significant enough to cause a speciation event.

Alright that's enough being pedantic for one night.

2/16/2017 9:53:54 AM #57

What came first... the chicken or the egg?

You heard the answer here first...

...case closed!

2/16/2017 2:06:43 PM #58

Posted By Zunjin at 03:53 AM - Thu Feb 16 2017

What came first... the chicken or the egg?

You heard the answer here first...

...case closed!

Winner winner chicken dinner!

2/16/2017 5:51:46 PM #59

Jesus lord please allow for east west wrapping of the map!!. i loved that in star was galaxies on naboo!

2/16/2017 5:53:50 PM #60

Okay the Amoeba was first. Which is perhaps is more close to the egg as it would have life but not be a thinking thing. Although it would consume and reproduce which an egg can not. But some type of life that can take sustenance from the world around it would have to exist before it had sustenance to be able to reproduce. So I theorize that what came first would be more chicken like than egg like.

Though i suppose it could also be possible that the right combination of chemistry compounded and reacted in a way that caused some form of transformation. Until we know true origins for one life form that has eggs we can not assume another for nearly all life has eggs (and perhaps all I dont know what conditions single celled organisms need to reproduce, I would check but the ones around me are a little to hard for me to see).

Im confused if writing this has done me more harm than good.