COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tropical Biomes

I have some lingering questions about the equilateral biomes that were specifically answered in the Q&A. To be honest, the Q&A sessions never really seem to have any meat or substance to them, it's all general surface level questions and answers. Nonetheless I'm interested in pledging as a Mayor and choosing a town in a tropical area but before that I wanna know some stuff.

1. will there be roads/trade routs in deserts
  2. what will savanna buildings look like considering the savanna has very little wood
  3. will the rainforest be as dense as real world rainforest or will it be sparse
  4. since people have to where more in colder areas, will they where less in hot humid areas?
  5. Since tropical areas don't have much metals will weaponry in those areas be different

3/17/2017 12:19:59 AM #1
  1. If players make them
  2. No details yet
  3. No details yet
  4. It would make sense
  5. No details yet
3/17/2017 12:49:56 AM #2

wow, we had both a biome and settlement Q&A and yet look how much little information we actually have.

3/17/2017 12:51:05 AM #3
  1. From what I gather some roads will exist in initial maps, but if you want specific ones they will need to be built

2. My guess would be earth, one of the most reliable building materials throughout history, still used in many arid environments today

3. I would assume more dense, but I doubt it is going to be to the point that it is impenetrable. The area still has to actually be playable.

4. They have stated appropriate clothes will make a difference in multiple types of biomes

5. There will likely still be at least some metals in tropical areas, but that is just my guess. If not, people in these areas will just need to trade for it. There will be certain things in each area that are abundant and others that are lacking, this is what trade is for. Buy your weapons with rare animal or plant materials for example.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

3/17/2017 1:06:20 AM #4

hm, about 5 (and maybe 2 as well):

I would assume that everyone globally will have the ability to learn crafting weapons without metal (I mean this likely won't be restricted by regions). In places with reduced metal resources it sounds natural that people will have to craft less metal weapons and more wooden etc. weapons.

Similarly, about buildings, theoretically I would guess that people globally will be able to build a variety of buildings, but the different environment, their resources and the artistic style of each settlement will likely make buildings of different regions, well, different.

Region: Europe

3/17/2017 1:16:26 AM #5

I have also noticed the Q&As are very surface level and have little depth to them. The old Q&As with Dm21 gaming were far better as he could ask follow ups and ask for clarifications. He is a fan of the game so was coming at it from the same place we were. It just led to deeper and more interesting Q&As.

3/17/2017 1:24:02 AM #6

Posted By Gromp at 8:06 PM - Thu Mar 16 2017

hm, about 5 (and maybe 2 as well):

I would assume that everyone globally will have the ability to learn crafting weapons without metal (I mean this likely won't be restricted by regions). In places with reduced metal resources it sounds natural that people will have to craft less metal weapons and more wooden etc. weapons.

Similarly, about buildings, theoretically I would guess that people globally will be able to build a variety of buildings, but the different environment, their resources and the artistic style of each settlement will likely make buildings of different regions, well, different.

And different materials will be desired in different climates. Building upkeep will be a thing, and the wrong choice of material will increase upkeep needs.

And I suspect that the starting knowledge to design building styles and components out of specific materials will not be the same region to region so architects will be limited in the plans they can draw up for you unless they travel the world to accumulate knowledge.

3/17/2017 1:41:19 AM #7

I know each region will have their own architecture style but I'm just wondering how large bustling cities will look in the center of a vast savanna or a dense tropical forest. Will buildings be round? Will domed roofs be a thing? Will buildings in savannas be made of mud brick or stone? Those things really

3/17/2017 2:35:14 AM #8
  1. will there be roads/trade routs in deserts
    Unless the players/NPCs in that biome have no interest in creating such, why wouldn't there be? :) If there is a settlement in the desert, counts may wish to construct roads and establish trade routes so that their county may remain strong.

2. what will savanna buildings look like considering the savanna has very little wood
    Wood is not the only building material in the world, and depending where you go there can be quite a nice group of trees to be found.

3. will the rainforest be as dense as real world rainforest or will it be sparse
    Depends what biome you're in. We have 20 biomes, and of those 20 there are alpine forest biomes, coniferous forest biomes, deciduous, evergreen, lower montane, tropical...

4. since people have to where more in colder areas, will they where less in hot humid areas?
    Equipment plays a large role in survival. If it's exceptionally cold out, players would be wise to bundle up with a jacket over their shirt and even consider wearing a cape or cloak to keep warm. The opposite is also true. If it's extremely hot out, wearing multiple layers of clothing, or metal armor could cause you to overheat.

5. Since tropical areas don't have much metals will weaponry in those areas be different
    What structures, clothing, equipment, animals, etc. will be available in a region will depend upon its environment.

wow, we had both a biome and settlement Q&A and yet look how much little information we actually have.

There's quite a bit of information to be had, actually. In fact, there's so much some people aren't getting all of it because they weren't able to follow the updates or Q&A sessions as religiously as others. I would recommend spending some time on our Official Wiki, Google, or the pinned Community Resources thread as some easy-to-get-to ways to search for information!

[. . .] the Q&As are very surface level and have little depth to them. The old Q&As with Dm21 gaming were far better as he could ask follow ups and ask for clarifications.

The Q&A sessions with BicycleWalrus were also done one-on-one with him, so it was much easier to follow up on questions when only one person was asking them. When you have dozens of questions making the Twitch chat stream by and questions being asked on Discord, too, it gets a bit harder to filter through them all to find the ones that are relevant to the topic being discussed at hand...

3/17/2017 4:17:26 AM #9

touché

3/17/2017 2:01:22 PM #10

1.footpaths

2.roof--sloping, grass(with central hole for smoke to escape)

walls--made from variable mix of animal/human dung, mud, rocks and grass. Small central sloping canal in middle of house for rain water runoff.

outhouse- far from the house

shower- circle of rocks approximately halfway between house and outhouse

kitchen- open firepit halfway between house and shower area

3.both

iv. yes

v. Not necessarily. Can have metals in tropical areas. Paucity, or plenty of metal is not tropics dependant, but rather plate tectonics and fault line dependant.

3/17/2017 4:06:27 PM #11

Posted By MusaKn at 01:15 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

[1.] will there be roads/trade routs in deserts

[1.] In the beginning Elyria will be filled only with landscape and nature, without human construction. Whatever players decide to build somewhere they can build. Building roads in desert will be hard considering there will be lack of materials needed for extensive road construction. Materials could be transported from other zones but transportation of such huge amount of materials and construction of roads in desert would likely be so expensive and time consuming that it is not likely you will see many roads leading across deserts.

• Trade routes yes, it is likely to be trade routes over sand on desert appropriate mounts.

[2.] what will savanna buildings look like considering the savanna has very little wood

[2.] Even deserts will have buildings that will likely be made out of sandstone and clay (just take a look at Earth desert places). Savanna would by my guess have buildings made out of available wood, various plant growth and hardened earth with grass roofs. Again, players could transport in other materials from other zones, but even if it happens, due to expenses needed for such a task it will likely happen rarely.

[3.] will the rainforest be as dense as real world rainforest or will it be sparse

[3.] No details yet. By my own personal guess, rain forest will be more dense than regular Elyria forests but less dense than RL rain forest (due to sheer graphical power we would need to render all that, specially in MMO that also needs to handle the rendering of all the players that will be active in that zone).

[4.] since people have to wear more in colder areas, will they wear less in hot humid areas?

[4.] It is likely that players will need to wear less layers in hot humid areas yes, but clothes will likely still need to cover whole body to protect from sunburn, wind, and perhaps provide a minor armor protection against injury.

[5.] Since tropical areas don't have much metals will weaponry in those areas be different

[5.] Availability of materials will dictate quality and quantity of weapons players will own in certain zones. Since weapons will play very important part in game play though, it is likely players will invest in importing weapons from other zones regardless of higher cost. I believe weapon trade will be quite profitable enterprise in CoE.

We don't have all the details yet, but we can still estimate what would make sense taking into account information that we already have. Answers listed above would be my guesses based on some information that is available and logic.

3/17/2017 11:23:14 PM #12

The Wiki Table of Contents has 27 Biomes listed.