COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mayor package queries

Ello! So I'm currently a bloodline KS backer debating whether or not to upgrade my tier to Mayor, I'm interested in managing a settlement but I'm curious to know whether I'd be able to potentially select a smaller settlement during land selection such as a village and keep it as such, or am I forced to choose from settlements at the town level?

5/23/2017 12:56:49 AM #1

I would assume there would be smaller Settlements across the maps, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to choose and keep it as such. But that is just my assumption I don't recall this particular subject being discussed at any lengths.

5/23/2017 1:05:56 AM #2

My understanding is that during settlement selection, you'll be given a "summary" of some sort of the settlement including size (land), population, nearby resources, stuff like that. You can choose a smaller one.

Secondly, as long as you ensure all the "needs" of your settlement are met, you don't have to push for growth. A few craftsmen, a couple of community buildings, enough trade to pay for imports. It may actually be harder to keep others from moving to your settlement if its successful, so you may have to balance happiness with unhappiness.

5/23/2017 1:09:45 AM #3

Posted By Kelipski at 8:05 PM - Mon May 22 2017

My understanding is that during settlement selection, you'll be given a "summary" of some sort of the settlement including size (land), population, nearby resources, stuff like that. You can choose a smaller one.

My understanding as well. Especially since the mayors with more influence than you will likely pick the bigger settlements first. Should make it much easier to find a smaller one.

5/23/2017 1:15:03 AM #4

The problem I see is that smaller settlements don't have Mayors. Those are only created at the Town level, with access to a Town Hall and the town management table.

5/23/2017 1:32:38 AM #5

It was said you don't HAVE to participate in anything up to and including Exposition as a Tier backer, you lose Nothing. So what you want to do is "in the clear", as it were...

Though, through lack of participation, you could reduce the size of your holdings... If you start the game from Day One Live, you will get "A" town to run. It may be smaller. It may be ALL NPCs except you. It may be in a "bad spot".

But it is yours.

5/23/2017 1:35:16 AM #6

There is going to be a variety of city sizes. from the minimum mayor sized city (Village i think?) to the capital. Sure you can keep it small and tiny as time goes on but your people might not like it :) hope i helped

5/23/2017 2:39:03 AM #7

Posted By Punchpacket at

Ello! So I'm currently a bloodline KS backer debating whether or not to upgrade my tier to Mayor, I'm interested in managing a settlement but I'm curious to know whether I'd be able to potentially select a smaller settlement during land selection such as a village and keep it as such, or am I forced to choose from settlements at the town level?

If you are in a settlement such as a hamlet or village my understanding is you will not be a mayor. Villages have a council of elders so until you are at town level you would have other elders of the same rank as you.

5/23/2017 3:00:53 AM #8

As mentioned in the Wiki, settlements of village size or larger can register with their county. The person who registers a settlement's charter is technically the "Guild" leader for that settlement. Officially the leaders of settlements of town size or larger are granted the title of Mayor, Magistrate, or Governor and access to at least a Town Management UI. The leader of a registered village will probably be unofficially called the mayor by any PCs in the village [possibly even NPCs if there is some kind of nickname system implemented], however we have no information on what they might officially be called. There is also no information on if a Village "Guild" Leader will have access to a similar "guild" management UI that other "guild" organization leaders will have.

I believe that the Mayor and Baron packages will choose from at least the default minimum size for a town at Settlement selection. Following that selection the actual size of the settlement in Exposition will be based on events in KOE/Elyeria Mud and on any title mergers. It is therefore possible that a small town settlement could start Exposition with a village sized population due to war or economic and environmental factors which occurred in the past. If a war occurred a week before Exposition it may also be possible that the settlement might have less buildings than a normal small town due to damage.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

5/23/2017 2:57:30 PM #9

Also remember, if you start a smaller settlement and another player owns land in your settlement or buys land next to your settlement and has more than you, he can vote you out as mayor then you would not be in control of how large it becomes any more.