COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Creature Suggestion: Ocho

The Ocho

Since Lilica's Meowl has gotten some viewage, i figured i would try my creature. This thread is a WIP and i will update it when possible. Please have mercy.

For the sake of slight laziness, i will be using portions of Athol's layout.

Characteristics

Description

The Ocho are a small species of spider which, like its many kin, enjoy preying on insects.

Physiology

Ocho are part of the jumping spider family. (As this is a fantasy spider, i have designed it to be poisonous, unlike actual jumping spiders.) They have 5 eyes - three in the front, and one on each side of the head. Ocho have eight black, lightly furred legs, of which the fur is a vivid sapphire blue. Ocho can rapidly move backwards & to either side. However, they move fastest while going forwards, and can jump up to 93 inches - many times its own average body length of 45mm. Ocho are very light.

Ocho stings are relatively poisonous - it takes around 10 drops of their venom to kill a Mann. Their venom glands tend to hold twice this, and it takes them a day to restock.

Senses

Like most other jumping spiders, Ocho have colored sight. They have an acute sense of touch and can feel the smallest vibration.

Habitat

Ocho are normally only found in broadleaf forests or swamps. They can, however, survive anywhere, provided they are fed or can obtain food, excluding cold biomes such as tundras.

Depending on the size of the family, Ocho will create differently sized webs in different areas. It will, however, always be a sac-like web & never a snare-type.

Solitary male Ocho will use their web to curl a leaf, then create a web-sec within it to reside in.

Solitary female Ocho spin a small sac which hangs from a branch or leaf.

When an Ocho decides it is time to mate, however, a female will then begin constructing a large, hanging web-sac which is hollow inside. This sac is so dense & the 'mating' thread so strong that it can take several stabs of a dagger to pierce, which protects the eggs.

As they tend to be communal spiders, it is not uncommon for several of these Family-Sacs to be found in close proximity, leading to the term "Ocho Orchard".

Hunting

The thread used to construct their webs, or 'sacs' release a scent which attracts insects, which they then consume.

Ocho are omnivores. They can eat either meat or plant matter, but tend to consume animals if given the chance. Although they mostly hunt insects, Ocho can & will kill small to medium sized animals if provoked or if too close to their territory - including the various tribes of Mann.

Additionally, Ocho tend to enjoy most fruits.

Toxicology

As a result of many years of living near Ocho, as well as .... accidental ingestion via fruit, Kypiqs have become immune to Ocho venom.

Life Cycle

Ocho can live anywhere from 40 to 130 years, with the rare specimen living up to 2 centuries.

Behavior

Ocho are diurnal, and tend to stay relatively close to their nests unless hunting for a mate. They have no problem being around other males or females.

They can be tamed & are often kept by alchemists as pets.

ref This game was a dream. Its dead now.

8/2/2017 9:08:26 PM #1

I want one

8/2/2017 9:56:12 PM #2

Orchads of ochos and Kypiqs weave silk... you've just made kevlar my good friend. Ocho venom, chromatic avilan mount, kevlar silk armor, now Kypiqs are a bit more scary. I wonder how'd meowls would react to that.

Amazing concept, since they are so small perhaps instead of explaining the creature itself you could expand more on the properties of their venom and thread? Glad i could help a bit ^-^.

8/2/2017 10:40:08 PM #3

Posted By Athol at 5:56 PM - Wed Aug 02 2017

Orchads of ochos and Kypiqs weave silk... you've just made kevlar my good friend. Ocho venom, chromatic avilan mount, kevlar silk armor, now Kypiqs are a bit more scary. I wonder how'd meowls would react to that.

Amazing concept, since they are so small perhaps instead of explaining the creature itself you could expand more on the properties of their venom and thread? Glad i could help a bit ^-^.

Like i said, the thread is a work in progress. :3

8/2/2017 11:04:53 PM #4

These spiders sound adorable, and I would love to have one as a pet.

8/3/2017 4:18:17 AM #5

Kypiq power! >:3 Brilliant creature, it's very interesting o=

8/3/2017 4:34:16 AM #6

I've always loved jumping spiders, so I find these equally adorable. c:

"To some, stars are merely pinpricks of light in the night sky; yet for the seasoned traveler they are the cairns of the galaxy, a web of shimmering pathways that guides a wayfarer wherever they wish to go." ✧*˚‧ Navi Eunoia of House Vitale

8/3/2017 8:16:58 AM #7

Posted By Sohei at

However, they move fastest while going forwards, and can jump up to 93 inches - many times its own average body length of 45mm.

You may want to use imperial or metric system, but not both. :P

8/3/2017 8:55:27 AM #8

Whilst I really like reading the write ups people make for new animals for CoE a part of me feels like if SbS takes on those animals in-game it detracts from the DE to make animals but that is just my opinion.

I enjoyed reading this animal but I believe this creature, same with the Meowl shouldn't be approved unless it is for someones DE.

8/3/2017 10:51:28 AM #9

Posted By Maulvorn at 04:55 AM - Thu Aug 03 2017

Whilst I really like reading the write ups people make for new animals for CoE a part of me feels like if SbS takes on those animals in-game it detracts from the DE to make animals but that is just my opinion.

I enjoyed reading this animal but I believe this creature, same with the Meowl shouldn't be approved unless it is for someones DE.

I'm not sure anyone actually even has/bought chimera. As such I consider it ok to post and request this. If I'm wrong then.... eh. Up to the devs.

Posted By Katie at 12:34 AM - Thu Aug 03 2017

I've always loved jumping spiders, so I find these equally adorable. c:

Thanks!

Posted By Broodshrimp at 04:16 AM - Thu Aug 03 2017

Posted By Sohei at

However, they move fastest while going forwards, and can jump up to 93 inches - many times its own average body length of 45mm.

You may want to use imperial or metric system, but not both. :P

Look here you. I'll use every measurement system possible!

8/3/2017 1:14:59 PM #10

I like the idea very versatile and has a nice background to it.

8/3/2017 1:39:26 PM #11

They produce a silk and can be trained? Sounds like a great pest control pet for a flax farmer. Would they aggressively protect their silk if they are domesticated?

8/3/2017 1:51:47 PM #12

Posted By Iota at 09:39 AM - Thu Aug 03 2017

They produce a silk and can be trained? Sounds like a great pest control pet for a flax farmer. Would they aggressively protect their silk if they are domesticated?

They typically attack anything that gets overtly close to their nests, so yes. Personally, if they're implemented, I'd like to have them guard my herb garden.

8/3/2017 3:32:14 PM #13

Don't forget their fancy hats!

And for the edgier gentlespiders

8/3/2017 5:44:10 PM #14

Yesssss. I don't think they're going to program watery hat physics though. :p

8/4/2017 2:39:00 AM #15

>.> How do you kill them, tho?

kypiq