COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tunneling, Minerals, and Tribes-Design Ideas and Questions!

Greetings fellow Elyrians!

I am super looking forward to tunneling, mining and related skillsets or information to be addressed or showed off. We'll get there eventually, but I did want to restart a discussion about the topic.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/20215/official-tribes-hrothi#post219537

My understanding was the Hrothi will start within a mountain kingdom, meaning they should start with an advanced knowledge of tunneling technique and use. I believe that to mean that the Hrothi will live in dwellings underground and either dug out of the mountain or within smaller caverns.

So my first question is: Are tunnels going to be a standard height for all races, will they have adjustable dimensions, would tunnel height be based off the race builing it?

I have seen a number of nice posts over the last 6 months dealing with mining, minerals, and variety of rock types with specific real life information. Which leads to my next question:

In a world with finite resources what will resource availability look like within a tunnel? I am assuming mountains won't be devoid of resources so I am wondering how random finding resources will be if they are there at all. Would there be mineral veins to follow underground or clusters of diamonds within a certain hill range to find?

And my last question is for all the rest of you would be miner's and tunneller's out there: Have people started to think about dungeon designs or other creative uses for tunneling that they would care to share? I figure the more ideas we share on the forums the more ideas Souzou and others will be able to reference as they design or improve on these systems. (I don't actually know who is designing or working on tunneling at all).

8/15/2017 3:37:54 PM #1

Eventually they will add hidden and recessed doorways (probably). I am betting you can make a door out of rock that looks like a wall with a hidden button or lever somewhere at some point in the game (maybe not at launch). I am thinking that if I can make a sweet tunneled mine, that I can trap it up and have a hidden entrance or secret invisible rooms within the mine for personal use in case people wander in. We must defend the mine!

Once I finish draining the resources I can find or reach the edge of my land anyways.

8/15/2017 5:54:57 PM #2

From my understanding, Tunneling, like Building will take some thought, planning and effort. I believe you can make the tunnel as large as you want or can in certain circumstances, or as small as you can. I don't see a underground tunnel for the Kypic being the same size as the tunnels used by the Hrothi.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

8/16/2017 12:26:10 AM #3

First off, from your Hrothi tribe description:

Unfriendly

Kypiq - The nature of the Hrothi's underground civilization makes the short tunnels inhospitable to the taller Tribes of Mann. The need to duck or crawl dramatically slows their pace, making them easy targets for the Hrothi to deal with. This provides their civilization a natural defense against most of the other tribes, that is, all but the Kypiq. The Kypiq's ability to move around the Hrothi's tunnels unhindered makes the Hrothi nervous, and the natural curiosity and propensity toward shiny things makes them untrustworthy.

That says to me that tunnels are size dependent, and that the Hrothi tunnels are naturally too short for all tribes but Kypiq.

As far as tunneling to exploit minerals, I would hope that mineral veins are a thing, and it would be really cool if the size and shape of the vein had a sensible geological origin. For example, veins that are buried alluvial (placer) deposits with noble native metals like gold or copper, or hydrothermal minerals like sulfides (cinnabar, for example) trapped between layers of impervious silicate rock.

The Hrothi would obviously be favorites to exploit any buried veins, but of course we also know that other sources exist. The bog iron of the Dras is one example, and I give a few other possibilities in the Minerals link in my signature. Most of all, I hope to see abundant variety of resources of varying quality that encourage many different approaches and playstyles.

8/16/2017 4:22:37 AM #4

I plan to go Waerd and expand the territory underground (because we live in an inhospitable environment), but I am prob going to table such things until I have a solid grasp on what Waerd do (akin to objectives and what their daily life is) and research on tunneling is available for the Waerd.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

8/16/2017 10:34:03 AM #5

The Waerd also live underground and there much taller then the Hrothi, so height of tunnels will probably be adjusted for different tribes.

Friend code: FF2B6D
8/16/2017 6:40:29 PM #6

I've already started planning the tomb of my first character, but aside from that i'm not going to say anything on the topic. :p. I'm sure that height can be adjusted, but in general tunnels will be hrothi sized.

ref This game was a dream. Its dead now.