COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Expand your soul across your lifetimes

When advertising the game, a positive way to attract people to the concept of aging and dying is to first highlight and accentuate the fact that the player experience part is about growing your legacy through multiple bodies over time. This opens their eyes to the possibility of achieving the greatest rewards, instead of the instant thought of dying and starting over, which is the initial assumption when seeing a game includes dying.

When introducing new people, be they prospective players, investors, publishers, whomever, focus on the positive sides of personal growth across multiple lifetimes, increased social stature via your family dynasty, inheritance so you can choose your next heir and direction you wish to grow, and most of all your permanence in the World of Elyria. Avoid the focus being on the dying, and instead shape the focus towards the permanence of your Soul as it grows, transforms, and becomes a unique "You" in ways that no other game to date can even come close to achieving.

The storyline that follows your soul across each of it's generations is a huge new concept that I don't think receives near enough promotion. That is such a huge part of the appeal of the multi-generational aspect of growing your dynasty, and your emotional investment in your character.

Your Soul beckons you onward, to live new adventures, in the next chapter of your ever growing personal saga.

1/8/2018 12:20:25 AM #1

I do think that emphasizing the fact the soul is reborn, and you are not starting total scratch again is very important to point out.

The inheritance system is another powerful point that also drives home the fact that while a given body is used up, the player is still not simply starting over.

You live, you grow, you are reborn, you grow to be even greater.

1/8/2018 3:00:59 PM #2

I'm kind of surprised this marketing concept did not receive more comments.

1/8/2018 4:31:20 PM #3

It's an 100% unique aspect to this game and is the reason I'm going to play it. If other people knew about it then more people would be attracted to the game.

Oh hey there

1/8/2018 4:53:59 PM #4

I would prefer permadeath in any cases!

This would be awesome... Like in Dark souls. ^^ But most People would cry. So spark of life System is a good idea

Alt text - can be left blank

1/8/2018 5:09:36 PM #5

A very basic version of this concept is implemented in Dragon Age: Inquisition. If anyone has played that game in multiplayer, once you hit the level cap of 20, you can "promote" your character and they gain a permanent +1 stat boost. That quantifies in very simple terms how a system of aging, dying and reincarnating can be beneficial to players investing their time and money - it's not simply a reset.

So as far as a marketing blurb goes, CoE builds upon the Dragon Age: Inquisition promotion system and adds a lot more nuances for players to experience.

1/8/2018 7:05:10 PM #6

The permadeath games I've played, such as Wizardy Online, have not done well at their heyday, and eventually shut down altogether. It is attractive to a certain type of player to be sure, but not in sufficient commercially viable numbers.

That is part of why I feel differentiating this game from those that did involve dying (aka permadeath) is so important. Dying in this game is simply a chapter, not an end.

1/8/2018 7:38:01 PM #7

It's definitely a good marketing point. I don't think SbS would have missed the need to emphasise it, though. Not with permadeath in the game. Permadeath is a pretty taboo word in the MMO genre, one that requires a pretty powerful incentive to balance when someone hears about it.

Explaining it to prospective players, though... yes, this is a point you want to focus on. Never-before-seen character development potential, a literal living story in your character's lives (and deaths), an MMORPG that doesn't just conveniently ignore the RPG part of that tag in 90+% of its content/gameplay dynamics... there's a lot that talks to creative, clever folk in CoE's vision. Unprecedented freedom, actual open-world sandbox play (not the watered-down trash like Archeage and Black Desert that sells under that title), meaningful player-player and player-NPC interactions beyond grouping up for grinding content, even the simple, stark potential of a questing/exploration system that isn't built around town hubs, in an unfair world with unique and amazing easter eggs. Each of these things in summary will attract curiosity... and probably bog you down for at least an hour with your recruit explaining the rest.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

1/9/2018 11:10:51 PM #8

I agree with everything said here and I think it is really important. When I first found about this game, it was a bit overwhelming. You were told some ideas and had to search up pages and pages of information and I can see people being not interested in searching all about it.

Another thing mentioned is the dying. When I told my friends about the game and they looked it up, they said they won't play a game where you can completely lose months of progress and have to start over again for whatever reason, especially when it is a MMORPG. So I had to explain the mechanic thoroughly. And this probly makes people lose interest before they get to the point of understanding it.

So highlighting points about things that scare people off to explain it thoroughly should be a thing.

When you get to the website, there are some highlights about the game. Stuff like that the world is created by you, you create your own story, it has to be a fun advanture etc. But similar promises are on a lot of other MMOs, they promise a great story, great adventure, breath taking graphics etc. (well sadly no MMO actually provides that).

I think there should be a big spot (on the main page) where all the real information can be accessed. The real information about content such as explaining "Quests", Aging and Dying (what actually happens), Tribes, Character Creation, Sparks of Life and Souls (actually this was really hard to grasp when I heard about the game) and others in a comprehensive single text. So new people can get to the real Game informations cause most players might be veterans in gaming, which means, they want to see the real numbers (analogy for informations) so they can compare it to other games and see what actually is so amazing about this game.

1/10/2018 6:30:30 PM #9

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 11:53 AM - Mon Jan 08 2018

I would prefer permadeath in any cases!

This would be awesome... Like in Dark souls. ^^ But most People would cry. So spark of life System is a good idea

DS isn't permadeath unless they've changed it? You die, lose your souls if you had any, and you can return and reclaim them if you can manage to kill the enemies or dodge their attacks. I mean.. you're an undead, lol, can't really die forever.

I think at the moment they're not really boosting the brand due to the state of the game, we're pre-alpha (hopefully soon to be Alpha!) and marketing a pre-alpha game looks like a scam to a lot of people, hell running a KS for a large scale game looks like a scam to a lot of people (just read all the hate CoE gets on MMORPG). I'm sure once the game at least has some in-game footage that either devs share or they allow the players to share they'll pick up on marketing tactics themselves and lure in more players who'll potentially back and/or spread the word. \o/

I do agree however that things such as the permadeath needs to be explained in a way so that people don't think the game is a cash grab with the purchase of souls/sparks which are required to play a character.

1/11/2018 8:29:32 AM #10

Another way of saying it is that you're not playing just a character, but potentially a dynasty. Even a completely defeated (executed, assassinated, killed in battle) monarch must leave a few distant cousins and unknown bastard offspring around to eventually challenge an usurper. Where did the English King Henry VII come from, after all?

Ooh! Ooh! Bastardy! Is that in the game?

1/11/2018 11:20:56 AM #11

Well since children are done through contracts I think bastards will be hard to whelp.

OCE | Kingdom of Lor Voskara | Duchy of Summerfell Mire | Castell Rhuddlan

1/11/2018 5:41:12 PM #12

Don't just play a character, Play a Dynasty!

I like that twist on it, Poldano.

As for Bastardy, since kids are born via contract, and Bastardy refers to children not born within marriage, it makes total sense that many children will fall into that category. Which ones rise up to claim the titles of their true parents, is up to the players to decide. I'm sure the code will be keeping track of the genetics of the family tree, as least from the point of view of playable child codes.