COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Spouse as heir

I just heard about CoE a few days ago so I might have missed out on that info, but couldn't the spouse of a dead nobleman claim his title instead of one of the children? Maybe even if someone else was chosen as heir?

I think this would be a great mechanic as it allowes more change in players being in high positions without a big political change as the same family is still ruling. Also it gives marriage greater significance, families would be able to place their own members into other houses with the possibility to rule that house and the chances of lowborn rising to positions of power increases heavily. Is this already implemented?

Friend Code: DB7984

1/20/2018 11:17:04 PM #1

Most players would prefer a young character to play because of eventual permadeath, but then if you had a considerably younger spouse...hummm...

'Game over man,...game over.'

1/21/2018 12:43:31 AM #2

I think in cases of nobility, sparking into a spouse might be a better choice than a child. You'd get the benefits of better leadership skills, and the wisdom that comes with age.

1/21/2018 1:08:46 AM #3

There is a window of time a given character can be used as an heir, with both a lower and upper age limit. But since you can nominate most anyone to be your heir, I would think a spouse is totally fair if they were in the right age range.

I suspect your question is what if the spouse was not an NPC, but another player. I'm not sure if they have a mechanic for that yet. The workaround of course is to give your spouse the Ring (the physical item in game) and transfer the title to them in contemplation of your death.

I'm still weak on this mechanic, so someone might be able to point to a DJ or some other source if it's been clarified already.

1/21/2018 2:01:57 AM #4

All wills will basically be contracts so you can leave your belongings to anyone you wish. Juris Primus brings up a few points to remember. Yes there is a age limit for inhabiting a NPC. And in doing so you will be living a shortened life span compared to an child. Now if your wife is Not a NPC then you can't not spawn into that character but you can still leave your belongings to them through a contract or will. My suggestion is that you have your children earlier so when you need a heir they are no longer children any more but young adults ready to assume their (your) position.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/21/2018 3:00:57 AM #5

Posted By Sullen at 6:01 PM - Sat Jan 20 2018

Yes there is a age limit for inhabiting a NPC. And in doing so you will be living a shortened life span compared to an child.

I don't think this is right. You can't take over an NPC older than 52 but your spark of life grants you the same amount of playable lifetime regardless of how old the NPC is when you take them over.

1/21/2018 3:04:10 AM #6

Posted By Ravenlute at 03:00 AM - Sun Jan 21 2018

Posted By Sullen at 6:01 PM - Sat Jan 20 2018

Yes there is a age limit for inhabiting a NPC. And in doing so you will be living a shortened life span compared to an child.

I don't think this is right. You can't take over an NPC older than 52 but your spark of life grants you the same amount of playable lifetime regardless of how old the NPC is when you take them over.

This is correct, investing a spark into a valid NPC will always result in the same amount of playable lifetime.