COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Questions about Architecture

First I'd like to preface my questions by stating that the focus of the question is on the skill or profession of architecture and not the actual tribal styles of architecture so any "examples" of tribal architecture are not to be taken literally nor any reference to "real world" architecture that may contain inaccuracies as these are simply meant to illustrate my point.

Ok , so I am curious about the customization possible with the skill/profession of architecture.

If a PC or NPC is sufficiently skilled and knowledgeable in the tribal styles of architecture in question, would it be possible to "mix and match" styles together, both in terms of design and building materials (substituting one material for another, but using the same style/design), so long as game physics and any other relevant game mechanic is preserved in the process?

Examples:

First:

The community Waerd architect is sick of building his typical clay/mud brick house that is cuboidal in shape and wants to jazz it up a bit. He is a master of both The Waerd style and To'resk style of architecture and thinks his new home would look pretty snazzy by changing the flat roof of the clay/mud brick house with a * Wayō or Daibutsuyō* style roof similar to a traditional Japanese style roof.

His family think he is insane and promptly have him committed!

If he wasn't committed, would he be able to do this?

Second:

The local To'resk architect has just visited his Waerd lover who tells him that her uncle has just been committed and points to the guy in a straight jacket struggling with the witch doctors who are carting him off to the padded cave!!

Behind the commotion, the To'resk architect notices the penultimate building of the now committed Waerd architect... I giant pyramid similar to what might be found on the mythical fantasy world of Earth build by this weird tribe called the "Mayans".....

He loves the idea, but realizes that giant stone blocks could not be supported by the wetland terrain, so he sets about thinking of an alternative material that could be used from his wetland biome.

EUREKA!! He runs home (leaving his lover fuming as he didn't even notice her new haircut) and decides he want to build the pyramid out of the native polystyrene rocks.

The biome is unnaturally devoid of any wind gusts, storms or anything that could possibly blow the polystyrene pyramid over and he manages to find a dry section of land to build it on; however, just to be on the safe side, he collects an infinite supply of epoxy resin from the epoxy resin spring to stick all the polystyrene blocks together and glue the base to the ground....

Knowing how long such a massive structure will take to build, he enlists the help of his two sons, detailing his plans and requests that future generations continue his work.....

They spend a good 30 minutes constructing the pyramid!!!

Is it possible to substitute materials but maintain the same tribal design, so long as you perhaps know a style of architecture that uses those materials?

thanks Haji

3/20/2018 11:24:30 PM #1

To be determined. Honestly the mechanics aren't fleshed out yet to speculate. The only thing we do know is having the right materials in a biome is vital. Eg not putting stone in a swamp as it would sink.

3/20/2018 11:30:41 PM #2

My understanding is that tribal styles are predominantly driven by the following factors:

a) The physical characteristics of the tribe members

b) The environment and forces at play

c) The materials commonly available within that region

Now, sure, as a strong Hrothi, you might be adept at working with stone. However, when it comes to making a house in a Kypiq tree, your choice of materials might have a significant impact on the durability and decay of the house. A heavy stone house may simply not be practical for that setting. Building a normal house in a swamp, minus stilts, might result in an increased rate of decay of your furniture. There may be any number of potential hurdles in a region and depending upon your tribes physical attributes.

In terms of materials, not only will you require sourcing materials to manage a project locally, but you may then introduce an ongoing requirement to provide more of those supplies in order to repair and maintain the buildings. Different materials may wear at a different pace depending on the environment, and potentially the occupants and local threats. A pyramid might pose an easy opportunity for local wild predators to reach your roof or access your house in a dense forest. As a Kypiq this might be highly dangerous and undesirable.

In terms of styles, we can assume these are generalisations - a Kypiq "style" may be a combination of materials and locations in trees for example. I don't suppose many styles would be expected to constrain us to developing only simple square buildings as this would heavily impact creativity and diversity in settlements, and make the world potentially look very uniform. The materials as well as the skill of the builder may allow more expansive and creative designs to feature.

3/21/2018 12:05:52 AM #3

Posted By Oracle at 07:30 AM - Wed Mar 21 2018

My understanding is that tribal styles are predominantly driven by the following factors:

Now, sure, as a strong Hrothi, you might be adept at working with stone. However, when it comes to making a house in a Kypiq tree, your choice of materials might have a significant impact on the durability and decay of the house. A heavy stone house may simply not be practical for that setting. Building a normal house in a swamp, minus stilts, might result in an increased rate of decay of your furniture. There may be any number of potential hurdles in a region and depending upon your tribes physical attributes.

In terms of materials, not only will you require sourcing materials to manage a project locally, but you may then introduce an ongoing requirement to provide more of those supplies in order to repair and maintain the buildings. Different materials may wear at a different pace depending on the environment, and potentially the occupants and local threats. A pyramid might pose an easy opportunity for local wild predators to reach your roof or access your house in a dense forest. As a Kypiq this might be highly dangerous and undesirable.

In terms of styles, we can assume these are generalisations - a Kypiq "style" may be a combination of materials and locations in trees for example. I don't suppose many styles would be expected to constrain us to developing only simple square buildings as this would heavily impact creativity and diversity in settlements, and make the world potentially look very uniform. The materials as well as the skill of the builder may allow more expansive and creative designs to feature.

Edited: ok, i feel like this is one of those damned if i do, damned if i don't situations. I tried to use examples to illustrate my question do that people would understand better instead of simply assuming it is the same old question and just regurgitating the same existing well known but limited information currently available.

Maybe i made it too complicated, but i feel that without elaboration people would just give me the same regurgitated information i am trying to avoid.

Let me try again. This information is probably not readily available BUT if i wanted to do so, in game being well aware of the potential consequences of using illogical or foreign building materials as purposed by SBS, do you think i could, might it be possibly implemented, do you think it is a good idea, would you like to see it and/or would you like to add to the concept of

A) being able to mix tribal styles in ONE building regardless of potential consequences and materials (for this question these points are irrelevant)?

B) use a particular architectural style but change the resources and materials used?

I hope that clarifies for my lack of articulation in this matter 😁

3/21/2018 12:52:10 AM #4

Based on what we know nothing would prevent you from designing unique buildings and using whatever materials you want; the architecture tool seems to be pretty robust (in fact the shipbuilding tool is basically the same tool).

The question we don't know yet is how much "style" is based on materials, training, culture, or player choice. If it's material based then you're good. If it's training, not at first but with some effort. If it's cultural, possibly not without mixing tribes through family planning. If it's choice, you're also good. So by pulling guesses out of nowhere I'd say you're looking at a 3/4 chance it's possible and a 1/4 chance it's not at all.

3/21/2018 1:54:25 AM #5

Posted By HajimeSaito at 12:05 AM - Wed Mar 21 2018

Posted By Oracle at 07:30 AM - Wed Mar 21 2018

Edited: ok, i feel like this is one of those damned if i do, damned if i don't situations. I tried to use examples to illustrate my question do that people would understand better instead on simply assuming it is the same old question and just regurgitating the same existing well known but limited information currently available.

Maybe i made it to complicated, but i feel that without elaboration people would just give me the same regurgitated information i am tri nbn to avoid.

Let me try again. This in foreman is probably not readily available BUT if i wanted to do so, in game being well aware of the potential consequences of using illogical or foreign building materials as purposed by SBS, do you think i could, might it be possibly implemented, do you think it is a good idea, would you like to see it and/or would you like to add to the concept of

To this bit, in my understanding yes, you can. It may be a bad idea. It might be impractical. It might be badly designed. Bits may weather rapidly or sink, or otherwise compromise the structure, but I believe it's possible, if you were so inclined.

A) being able to mix tribal styles in ONE building regardless of potential consequences and materials (for this question these points are irrelevant)?

I believe this is possible. Not particularly recommended, depending on where your house is and what you're making, but still possible.

B) use a particular architectural style but change the resources and materials used?

May depend on your definition of "style". Perhaps you will indeed be able to follow the Kypiq tree house style for example, and make it from Hrothi stone. I don't want to be stood nearby when you try it, but I suspect this sort of thing would be possible.

I hope that clarifies for my lack of articulation in this matter 😁

3/21/2018 6:00:53 AM #6

IRL, there have been local architectural details that were missed or passed over when foreign styles were introduced. In some cases, this has had deleterious effects. I'm thinking specifically of traditional masonry buildings in Nepal. Western architects constructing new buildings in Nepal overlooked the use of wooden beams traditionally used in Nepalese construction. It turns out that these wooden beams act as earthquake shock absorbers. It would not be out of place for some such oversights to occur when adopting out-of-region architectural elements.

3/21/2018 6:08:32 AM #7

I think we could give you educated answers but no one could give you a true answer but the devs..It would come down to the system, from my MMO experience when there were difference styles of door you could learn, if you could change the style of door, you had to change the whole door. You couldn't have the corners or doorknob be one style(tribe A) and then the body be another style(tribe b). I'm sure that would be the easier route for them to take but if they are building their own system they could easily change that.

I think it would be cool if you learn mixed styles if you had a mix community though.

3/21/2018 8:36:36 AM #8

The only thing I ever remember being written about this is them saying that if you use say a oak tree in your design and someone else had the same design and used a redwood tree, they would look different because of the trees used. I imagine if you had access to more than one type of tree or any base material you should be able to plug any material into any "slot" of the design. Thus mixing and matching. I don't think it was ever mentioned that each tribe "may" have different designs for their structures but now that you mention it it seems that they must to some extent.

I can imagine there are going to be some fuggly houses if we can access designs of other tribes as well. LOL. Not that I am against the idea at all. One thing I would love to do in my town /city is have different zones for different cultures. So when you went into one zone the buildings looked different from the previous one.

3/21/2018 2:44:44 PM #9

Yes, you can mix and match. Yes, you can use different mats. In specific Biomes nothing bad will happen...in others your home may sink or rot.

It does get annoying when ppl respond with the same generic answer instead of reading between the lines and seeing the big picture instead of a million little pictures.

;)

5/21/2018 5:29:38 PM #10

Based on the info we've been given re other skills, it does seem that you can mix up the 'ingredients' of your architectural recipe. Probably with mixed results. But I'm looking forward to seeing what folks invent!