COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What does the new EU-GDPR mean for CoE. Will EU players still have access?

The European Union is going to update their "General Data Protection Regulation" (GDPR) at May 25th. The new data privacy act, will be the most comprehensive protection of private data world wide.

Something good, that comes at a cost!

Unlike the bigger companies, like Activision Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony etc. who have worked for month and payed quite some money, to implement all things needed to still do business in Europe, some smaller companies already waved the white flag.

That is why some smaller ones are going to terminate their service for European players due to the GDPR, like Warpportal (Ragnarok Online) and Uberent Entertainment (Super Monday Night Combat). More companies, especially small Indie Teams are going to follow. (sorce)

What does the GDPR mean for us EU players, when it comes to the future of Chronicles of Elyria?

5/9/2018 9:48:33 PM #1

Good question, Zunjin!

5/9/2018 9:56:51 PM #2

I may not be from Europe but I do feel this is a good question for those in the community who are.

5/9/2018 11:01:22 PM #3

Well if there is a hard brexit at least I'll be able to play MMOs

Coming Soon(tm)

5/9/2018 11:04:13 PM #4

Caspian and I have been in contact with our legal counsel and, with their support, we will be sending out a notice of compliance before the upcoming deadline later this month.

Thank you for your question!

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/10/2018 2:34:47 AM #5

American based companies can apply for Privacy Shield: https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome

This will help to ensure that they become GDPR compliant.

If anyone has any questions about the GDPR feel free to hit me up. I have been doing nothing else but researching the GDPR and drafting processor agreements for my IT clients.

5/10/2018 4:13:20 AM #6

Ah! We have at least one EU-GDPR SME already on board!

;-)

5/10/2018 4:30:59 AM #7

awesome, wolffje.

archer, tamer, survivalist, monster hunter, protector of the weak || duchy of aravier, kingdom of alésia, « næ

5/10/2018 6:43:24 AM #8

I am scared now.

Please make it possible! This game is everything i'm looking forward to.

Hope for a fast positive reply.

Won't loose my hope and money.

Alt text - can be left blank

5/10/2018 6:54:12 AM #9

@Serp

Thanks for the fast reply. Hope for the best. :)

Posted By chipla at 01:01 AM - Thu May 10 2018

I am not sure why (legaly?) but WarpPortal banned all of !Geographical Europe! + Turkey except for countries located in the Commonwealth of Independent States, also known as The Russian Commonwealth.

Which means, that the UK, Norway, Island and Switzerland are banned too!

5/10/2018 7:10:59 AM #10

The data protection act isnt really that big of a deal. It mostly states that a company has to ensure that private information is safely stored. Further it is only allowed to store information thats critical for the companies activities. Last thing in the act is that a company is legally obliged to remove/correct any private data if asked by the involved party.

5/10/2018 7:55:27 AM #11

Posted By Zunjin at

The European Union is going to update their "General Data Protection Regulation" (GDPR) at May 25th. The new data privacy act, will be the most comprehensive protection of private data world wide.

Unlike the bigger companies, like Activision Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony etc. who have worked for month and payed quite some money, to implement all things needed to still do business in Europe, some smaller companies already waved the white flag.

That is why some smaller ones are going to terminate their service for European players due to the GDPR, like Warpportal (Ragnarok Online) and Uberent Entertainment (Super Monday Night Combat). More companies, especially small Indie Teams are going to follow. (sorce)

What does the GDPR mean for us EU players, when it comes to the future of Chronicles of Elyria?

Something terrible that comes at a cost for people in the EU. Hopefully games will be able to be released in your region.

5/10/2018 8:55:13 AM #12

Well if the games / providers are not winning to provide secure services for they'r customers i do not see why they should be let in the market. It just shows at they do not care to protect the customers private data or are using it for purposes that they should not use it for.

5/10/2018 9:11:56 AM #13

Posted By Poldano at 06:13 AM - Thu May 10 2018

Ah! We have at least one EU-GDPR SME already on board!

;-)

and seeing as he's an EU citizen, and a backer, he is very motivated to help :)

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:55 AM - Thu May 10 2018

Posted By Zunjin at

Something terrible that comes at a cost for people in the EU. Hopefully games will be able to be released in your region.

the idea is good, the implementation is terrible

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/10/2018 9:15:33 AM #14

Posted By Leiywen at 09:10 AM - Thu May 10 2018

The data protection act isnt really that big of a deal. It mostly states that a company has to ensure that private information is safely stored. Further it is only allowed to store information thats critical for the companies activities. Last thing in the act is that a company is legally obliged to remove/correct any private data if asked by the involved party.

Yes there is a documentation obligation, a complete disclosure obligation for what each and every documentatated piece of data is used and why. Than the need of a cookie note, an option for every user to disable google analytics and the sort + some other stuff.

And one of the newst discussed topics is, how the new law effects youth protection and if and how the data of children under 16 years should be collected. Which not only impacts online games, but also blogs, forums etc.

5/10/2018 9:52:32 AM #15

Posted By Zunjin at 07:54 AM - Thu May 10 2018

@Serp

Thanks for the fast reply. Hope for the best. :)

Posted By chipla at 01:01 AM - Thu May 10 2018

I am not sure why (legaly?) but WarpPortal banned all of !Geographical Europe! + Turkey except for countries located in the Commonwealth of Independent States, also known as The Russian Commonwealth.

Which means, that the UK, Norway, Island and Switzerland are banned too!

It was a joke Zunjin :D

Coming Soon(tm)