COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Would you have frenemies?

There are players that sometimes meet for a friendly duel in order to test their gear and skill.

Now imagine in CoE two kingdoms being enemies in game but friends outside of the game. They could agree on one kingdom invading the other from time to time or meeting for an open field-battle.

In my opinion this could drive the development of defensive structures, field tactics and war logistics in general.

Would you like to have such a frenemy (friend + enemy) or would this be too disruptive for your gameplay/advancement of the kingdom?

5/18/2018 8:53:46 PM #1

I don't see why not. The enemies of my king don't have to be my enemies. As long as they don't attack me, I will just stick to funding our war. But OC contacts don't have to influence friendship.

5/18/2018 9:02:01 PM #2

I generally take frenemies to mean something entirely different, like someone who pretends to be your friend really hates you or is plotting against you, and... I don't think that can really be helped. It'll probably happen to most people.

5/18/2018 9:21:42 PM #3

Posted By Tiffany at 4:02 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I generally take frenemies to mean something entirely different, like someone who pretends to be your friend really hates you or is plotting against you, and... I don't think that can really be helped. It'll probably happen to most people.

Yes, this is my perception of that term, too, so I was confused at the title.

As for friends OOC and enemies IC, I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact I love that sort of "plot" so anyone willing to partake in that with me is a friend indeed. :3

~Currently browsing around possibilities and invites, haven't settled on anything yet!~

Game Development/jRPG/Horror&Sci-fi/Animuuu/2d Animation Enthusiast

5/18/2018 10:20:08 PM #4

I think he basically means having a friendly rivalry with another kingdom

5/19/2018 1:06:39 AM #5

"[Aziraphale was] The Enemy, of course. But an enemy for six thousand years now, which made him a sort of friend." — Crowley, Good Omens

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
5/19/2018 1:21:29 AM #6

I certainly hope friendly rivalries aren't uncommon. Things are going to get really stupid really quickly if everyone immediately develops a personal vendetta with everyone who ever opposed them (the way of the online community).

Realistic diplomacy is definitely banking on everyone's willingness to not be a total ass.

5/19/2018 2:31:01 AM #7

It'll happen. This sort of game rigging is generally seen in other MMOs across the board if there's open world PvP - it's the easiest and most efficient way to farm PvP currency, if generally at the cost of that currency to everyone else. CoE has the mechanics to support it sustainably, without negatively impacting play for most of the players involved. Win-win for everyone.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/19/2018 4:33:30 AM #8

PvP Currency? SBS has not addressed it directly, but I don't really think it will be all that lucrative in CoE. To the best of my understanding, a PvP winner can get the stuff that a losing character has on its body, but there is no additional loot. I really don't see the win-win.

5/19/2018 6:39:44 AM #9

I wasn't referring to PvP currency in CoE so much as it being the motive for cross-faction relations in other MMOs, sorry. Might not have come across in context. The precedent means that, while CoE might not have the same incentive, the supporting mechanics mean it's pretty likely to happen for mutual advantage in some form.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/19/2018 7:06:29 AM #10

I'm a merchant and as such i'm going to view every other merchant as an adversary while also viewing them as potential partners. As such I could see myself having tons of frenemies

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

5/19/2018 8:44:37 AM #11

arh there is nothing friendly in war...

Rivalry tend to more be show of arms rather then actual contest of arms like battle.

that being said the game dose allow for none lethal Combat.

so i most defently will be working with other armed forces in my duchy to orgnize Friendly Mock battles to test skill and for training purposes.

as to frenemies which as correctly or close to correctly explained by Tiffany which i kinda see as just people i might hate but work with from time to time to achieve certain goals.

contrary to poplure belief the enemy of my enemy may not actually be my friend but i may work with him temp in order to take out our common foe.

personally if i saw 2 kingdoms constantly going to war for superposed friendly rivialy i would make plans to invade them.

what better time to invade a kingdom then when they are busy stuffing around with some fake war on the other side of the kingdom?

so yes i expect both kings would not be kings for long in that case. supidity dose have a way of causing people to lose there jobs after all

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/19/2018 9:10:41 AM #12

"Mock battles" is the catchword here, thanks. :) English is not my first language, just fyi.

We have a regular turney officially and can most likely arrange mock battles.

Would you use these mock battles to test your country defences (watchtowers, signal fires) and city fortifications (arrangement of walls and towers, trenches), too?

Are there some basic rules you want to agree upon (no cdg, no arson or pillaging of farms)?

These might best be organized between duchies in the same kingdom. Could you see something like this happen between two different kingdoms, or would this be an invitation for an actual invasion from a third kingdom, as mentioned in the post above? :)

5/19/2018 12:44:59 PM #13

any Large "War Game" that pulls vast numbers of troops from your other boarders would open you to invasion.

hell a sneaky King or noble wanting to interfer into this sort of thing would just need to send some forces dressed as one of the kingdoms and actualy Start real attacks.

this could turn this fake war game invasion into a very real one very fast. then u just wait till they fully engaged and strike with your full power.

am not saying it cant be done the war game stuff but one must always be watching for outside influence...

remember this game is almost as much about politics and intrigue as it is on war and crafting.

so inter kingdom would be very foolish and inter duchy could be dangerous but doable County size is where it will work better.

but yes if i was doing this large scale i would put in alot of safe guards like each side was to maintain a reserve force incase of outside interference, each side has observers provided by the other side to confirm all rules are maintained and no one gose off looting or doing other non agree-ed to actions.

any group without a offical observer could then be treated as imposters and be detained for questioning.

5/19/2018 1:02:08 PM #14

not that i want internal strife personally, i hope to see it. The idea of dukes and counts fighting each other within a kingdom resonates with me rather than conflict with foreign powers. Obviously the king/queen should try to squash the issues diplomatically but for the possibility of armed conflict between 2 vassals seems interesting to observe

5/19/2018 1:29:08 PM #15

Posted By Lemonsquid at 11:02 PM - Sat May 19 2018

not that i want internal strife personally, i hope to see it. The idea of dukes and counts fighting each other within a kingdom resonates with me rather than conflict with foreign powers. Obviously the king/queen should try to squash the issues diplomatically but for the possibility of armed conflict between 2 vassals seems interesting to observe

agreed

why it should be every kings goal for a stable kingdom without internal strife, a king who trys to stifle this sorts of conflicts could also be seen as tyrannical.

also a king seen to be taking sides in a conflict could also cause his nobles to see him as favoring a side.. which could cause further issues down the tract.

and the fact that SBS has set it up that any title could be overthrown points to the fact they kinda want it to happen.

i garentee every tittle holder worth his salt has read and re read all ways to take others lands from them and usurp there lords.

so pretty much trying to maintain a completly static and peaceul kingdom would require complete domance of it like that of a tyrant.

harsh reality we live with here but i truly doubt many kings have truly taken the time to look at there polecy in this regards and what repercussions that polecy will cause.

nothing in life is simple and nothing in life is fair to expect it to be in COE would be gross negligence