COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Magic+Science=MIND BLOWING

I have always wanted to make a game like what's coming out. If (more like when) CoE succeeds, ill give up. But first I want one of the mechanics Ive dreamed of implemented. Scientific Magic. Magic where instead of a player honing a skill and casting something willy nilly, the only downside being set cooldowns or mana cost, we create a magic system that has no 'spells' but reactions. Think Magicka on steriods. If you want to cast a chanted spell, you chant a series of words with different meaning via mic (or some other way for those without) and the meanings combine in specific ways to create a reaction that will be called a SPELL. Say I say Vi La Mo. Vi-storm, la-earth, Mo-radiate. In that order they combine to create a shot of electricity (vi) following the ground(la) in an arc(mo). If I change the order the spell may change drastically. Thats spoken magic. For runes, we create a system that's like abstract circuitry. Lines are wires, and organizing them in different ways with different materials can lead to machines we would call RUNES. Specific shapes that act as circuits can be MARKS, and we can write our own rules in how it works. For spells that require waving a wand, we use a player animation system like I mentioned in a different post. Combine a chant with a wavey-wandy thing for combined reactions. Thats all I want.

3/11/2016 4:32:46 AM #1

There is still a long way ahead for the magic crafting system.

I've recapped the same concept several times. A step by step design of a supernatural blueprint through combining material components and runes (syllables into words and words into phrases) to trigger predetermined effects. The more elaborated the formula, the more complex the effect.

Once discovered, you get to inscribe, carve and etch the runes which combined with the right components and the trigger phrase, set off the spell.

Drawn with chalk

Drawn with blood

Maester at the service of House Yernbosque. "Nos unum sumus, quia multi sumus"

3/11/2016 5:29:01 AM #2

Hey there, just wanted to clear up some stuff about magic in CoE! So, magic in this game is going to be very, very rare, and not just lore wise, but in the actual game itself. In fact, it's so rare that, for all intents and purposes, magic doesn't exists. However, a select few players (5%), may have a character with a special ability called a talent. Talents are magical in nature, and are a element of the game meant to drive the overall story. There are many different kinds of talents, from water breathing to shapeshifting, but some will be more "traditional" magic (i.e. that sorcerer raining down fire that you see on the log-in page). As for magical rituals, I believe it was said, or it was at least hypothesized, that someone with a magical talent may have to perform a ritual (and perhaps a long ritual) to actually cast magic. Now, we probably won't know exactly until the game actually comes out, and it will be a such a rare occurrence that it may be a while before we do find out. But when we do, it's going to be a major event.

3/11/2016 7:13:20 AM #3

Yeah, personally hope we have a Full Metal Alchemist style system. Magic is a tangible science. I'm not afraid of an Arcanepunk world but it comes with a lot of restrictions for anything non-magical. I hope magic is very rare and is relegated to Merlin style people. It shouldn't be even remotely common, especially early/mid game.

3/11/2016 8:22:35 PM #4

I agree it shouldn't be easy in the beginning. What if what we did is that magic starts out wicked rare/a natural phenomenon how it is for the beginning of the world, and the game as a whole 'discovers it'. Say by the end of the first or second irl year cantrips small short little do dad style spell like things start to arise, based on the players sort of 'discovering' them. Depending on how invested players get, the faster it may come. We design a system for magic that is empty, and players have to really focus and put effort into making it usable for even the smallest of spells.

5/5/2016 6:35:25 PM #5

In every MMO Ive played I always play a magic user with the Exception of Star Wars Galaxies. In SWG you had to "Unlock" your Jedi character by mastering other skills. I mastered close to 20 professions and never unlocked my special character. I really enjoyed the rarity of it but unlocking was always my goal. I hope that gaining magic isnt that difficult in CoE, but time will tell.

I can see your back is turn'n, If I could I'd stick a knife in, This is my love for you - Tool

5/5/2016 9:01:39 PM #6

I played SWG, and unlocked Jedi, it wasn't skill based (you did have to have some skills, mostly combat skill to survive the journey) but you had to physically go to force-known locations on several planets to unlock the ability, after that, an old Jedi man would randomly visit you in a town/player city and start you on your journey for Jedi. To unlock the old man, it was a some-20 steps adventure, some of the most dangerous places in the galaxy, and after that, it took months to move from force touched, to padawan even. I encountered a Master Jedi one-time. He was jumped by 6 bounty hunters, and they still couldn't kill him. I see a lot of SWG in this game, and am greatly looking forward to it.

8/3/2016 2:01:29 AM #7

I really enjoy this idea of spoken magic. I really believe it should be looked into when the magic system is brought to the table.

[img]https://images-1.discordapp.net/.eJwNwlEOwiAMANC7cAAK2AnsNoSRDsMsoTV-GO-uee9jXmuY3ZyqU3aAo0vldVhRXoWaJWYarcwutvIFRbXU82pPFfAxo99C9inFP48IwW13DOnmMCaHOSQH_B7SyT4mme8P5b4iaw.a5QTB9nTiWIlWrrkAL0aaCC-cr0.jpg[img]

8/3/2016 2:22:28 AM #8

I think spoken magic is a great idea, kind of like the mechanic in Project Gorgon where certain powerful words can be discovered and then when they are said in chat they are activated.

In Project Gorgon these words once activated can never be used again. But instead I think that they should be syllables that refer to elements, as suggested by CorvusSolus.

Then players could sit at home chanting random combinations, attempting to discover spells. Some combinations would be harmful to the player and could potentially kill the chanter. So discovering spells would be at the potential cost of life or limb. Once discovered though, spells could be inscribed and sold or taught to players of a particular order.

In order to offset the danger in researching spells. Perhaps chanting spells successfully could make the player more resistant to failed spells in the future. Meaning, that it would almost never be worth it to study magic without scrolls (finding runes with inscribed spells in world) or an older player guide. Though players could always attempt to explore magic if they were willing to take great risks.

In order to prevent spells from simply all being uploaded to a wiki. Perhaps spells could expire over a certain number of uses or period of time. Or perhaps any spell could backfire, making magic dangerous in general unless wearing certain items or being in the presence of a magical guide or experienced magic player.

8/4/2016 1:34:55 AM #9

Posted By ShubiMaja at 7:22 PM - Tue Aug 02 2016

I think spoken magic is a great idea, kind of like the mechanic in Project Gorgon where certain powerful words can be discovered and then when they are said in chat they are activated.

In Project Gorgon these words once activated can never be used again. But instead I think that they should be syllables that refer to elements, as suggested by CorvusSolus.

Then players could sit at home chanting random combinations, attempting to discover spells. Some combinations would be harmful to the player and could potentially kill the chanter. So discovering spells would be at the potential cost of life or limb. Once discovered though, spells could be inscribed and sold or taught to players of a particular order.

In order to offset the danger in researching spells. Perhaps chanting spells successfully could make the player more resistant to failed spells in the future. Meaning, that it would almost never be worth it to study magic without scrolls (finding runes with inscribed spells in world) or an older player guide. Though players could always attempt to explore magic if they were willing to take great risks.

In order to prevent spells from simply all being uploaded to a wiki. Perhaps spells could expire over a certain number of uses or period of time. Or perhaps any spell could backfire, making magic dangerous in general unless wearing certain items or being in the presence of a magical guide or experienced magic player.

Definitely!

[img]https://images-1.discordapp.net/.eJwNwlEOwiAMANC7cAAK2AnsNoSRDsMsoTV-GO-uee9jXmuY3ZyqU3aAo0vldVhRXoWaJWYarcwutvIFRbXU82pPFfAxo99C9inFP48IwW13DOnmMCaHOSQH_B7SyT4mme8P5b4iaw.a5QTB9nTiWIlWrrkAL0aaCC-cr0.jpg[img]

8/4/2016 1:47:20 AM #10

8/10/2016 8:43:27 PM #11

I think the more general concept, of there being an action-reaction relationship between a caster and the magic being cast, that is consistent throughout larger parts of magic than just a single spell, is a great one. I don't really think we have the hardware or software to implement it in a satisfying manner yet, tho. Wait 5 years with spoken magic or for full VR for the complete experience ;)

8/11/2016 11:33:28 PM #12

Posted By CorvusSolus at 2:22 PM - Fri Mar 11 2016

I agree it shouldn't be easy in the beginning. What if what we did is that magic starts out wicked rare/a natural phenomenon how it is for the beginning of the world, and the game as a whole 'discovers it'. Say by the end of the first or second irl year cantrips small short little do dad style spell like things start to arise, based on the players sort of 'discovering' them. Depending on how invested players get, the faster it may come. We design a system for magic that is empty, and players have to really focus and put effort into making it usable for even the smallest of spells.

Well that's the genius of their system. Since everything is a "rumor" they can update it under the radar at any time. That also gives them time to come up with mechanics and lore reasoning for stuff. For example if they wanted magic to start spreading they could have a "random" event that released magic into the world etc. Or even find players or pretend to be players and act out an event.

8/11/2016 11:42:03 PM #13

Something like this would be amazing, plus I love it when Science and Magic get mixed together.

8/21/2016 6:20:00 AM #14

This Game looks really interesting, especially the aging process. Don't think I've ever seen any game with this concept. Looking forward to it!

10/22/2016 8:42:03 PM #15

Thread about Science + Magic Nobody mentioning Arcanum Son, I'm disappoint Anyways, since magic will come in form of talents, rare talents mind you, I don't think that we'll see anything like that.