COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Game Demo

Why has no demo been released. The game engine has been in development for a decade. Shouldn't we be able to download some sort of tech demo?

This would alleviate many of the concerns with the Kickstarter and doubts regarding the capabilities of releasing a game with so little funding in such a short time.

Thanks

5/21/2016 2:43:31 AM #1

A demo of what?

5/21/2016 2:45:43 AM #2

There was to be an offline playable combat demo released around PAX, I believe.

World Class Indoorsman

5/21/2016 2:46:28 AM #3

Source? That'd be cool. I just didn't see a demo of the game being viable at the moment...

5/21/2016 2:47:58 AM #4

Go back to the Dev journals and you'll see that the SoulBorn engine has been in development for that time, but the game itself has only been worked on with the Unreal engine since last Sept/Oct time frame. They do two completely different things in the game.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/21/2016 2:48:19 AM #5

I think he means this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_g9WGSht5Y

I process sugar exactly like a tree.

5/21/2016 2:50:15 AM #6

Statement Retracted on Phydra's vouching for Grey. Many apologies but we've had a few bad eggs recently.

5/21/2016 2:51:50 AM #7

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5YD3B8AwjIHM8ywTjyOfM6bs_eRAIQgRubmODadvs/edit?pref=2&pli=1

BW: Grimwulf asks “Will the PAX East demo, be available to those not able to attend.”

Caspian: That’s our plan, we might release it to the PAX people first we might release to the community at the same time as PAX and we might even to the community a little bit before PAX, just to give people some hands on experience. We’re not sure yet, ultimately everybody will get a chance to play it.

World Class Indoorsman

5/21/2016 2:52:17 AM #8

Hrm. I actually know Greyfox from SOTA and can attest that the last poster (besides being quite rude) is incorrect.

If you need to confirm I'm not some sockpuppet, just hit up any of my outlets and see for yourself. ;)

My $0.02 worth - subject to fluctuations in the community stock exchange.

5/21/2016 2:53:08 AM #9

I saw at least three "might"s there

5/21/2016 2:55:17 AM #10

I never carve things in stone until those saying them hand me the stone and chisel. This way, I'm documenting rather than assuming. It's what keeps me so roly-poly, wiggly puppy happy. ;)

My $0.02 worth - subject to fluctuations in the community stock exchange.

5/21/2016 3:02:41 AM #11

If they were or are working on any type of demo, I guess it will take quite a while since they work on multiple things at a time.

5/21/2016 6:18:31 AM #12

An offline demo will be released, that's what I heard on the IRC channel. It'll basically be a single player PvE version of the demo at Pax East. As to when it'll be released, I heard soon, but no specific date.

5/21/2016 6:23:33 AM #13

They said they were thinking about putting one out when the new website launches. Still waiting for a date on that

5/21/2016 6:38:50 AM #14

Caspian said they wanted to the the combat DJ next (before 18 came out) in march or april. I would assume the combat demo would come out around the combat DJ. Maybe it'll be the next DJ?

5/21/2016 11:09:59 AM #15

I pledged for this title after seeing all the hype and successful Kickstarter. I have a mid-grade pledge so not too extreme. This isn't about the money, I would donate the amount for nothing to a worthy cause.

My initial pledge was done after about 30 minutes of checking out the game. Since my initial pledge I have done more research and found some similar complaints.

Kickstarters have their detractors from Star Citizen to Shroud of the Avatar. I understand these projects take time, money, and will change over their development.

This initial idea is very interested and would make a successful game. My concern is the fact there obviously was a demo so why not release now to show a proof in concept?

I looked at the background of the team and see a distinct lack of technical talent for such a large project. A lot of creative talent and not to diminish the technical talent as the technical members are certainly highly skilled but a person can only do so much. I see a lack of a network engineer, programmers, senior programmers/engineers.

I understand the CEO is a programmer, but he has a new company to run, and I believe a second company as well. That leaves at most two programmers for such a large project. Closer to 1.5 in my view.

A promise of release in less than two years with a request of only 900k for funding. A team mostly built for asset creation (art, music, UI) The project must be close to completion, at this point we should have a playable demo and a foundation of network code.

Please prove me wrong. I would love to be playing this game in a couple years.