COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Crazy, but realistic idea

We know a few things about Elyria, what makes it so different from Earth? Sure, it's a fantasy world, but it isn't going too far in that direction. We had seers, druids, witches, etc. We might see them as charlatans now, but they really existed. In OUR world.

What if we combine these two words, Elyria and Earth? I think it's possible, with minor, even insignificant changes. The map would have to be accurate, and the lore must be based on our legends and history. But EVERYTHING else stays.

Same rule, we all start on one continent. Europe will be more than fitting. Let's say 500 BC, very early iron age. Most weapons are still made of bronze, only a few exceptional blacksmiths use iron. Very important, less than a century before Herodotus. Low population, small cities, not that hard to implement in a game. Plus, ruins of Atlantis might be visible in this world, a great challenge for explorers.

We have quite accurate height maps of Europe these days, and many game engines are able to import them. Well, not directly, but the process is quite simple. Yet, no one attempted this on a large scale (to my knowledge), which is odd. On a smaller scale, I saw it on Cities Skylines, and that's enough proof that this concept works perfectly. Vegetation, rock formations and a few other elements still need to be procedurally generated. It won't matter that much if that's a bit random, if it's done right.

This can also be very educative, even with all the fantasy elements. And there's an obvious possibility of creating an alternative history, one that might go quite far from our real one. But that would be the beauty of it. Start in a realistic background and rewrite history. Fight for the land of your real ancestors, not only for a random generated one!

3/19/2016 10:55:41 PM #1

I like your idea. But I do not think that Elyria and Earth should be similar. Sure, maybe there could be an easter egg continent. But just comparing both of the two doesn't quite fit well together. But I do very much like where you are going with this. Some of the landscape patterns can be copied from a continent on Earth.

3/20/2016 12:01:20 AM #2

You're right. Besides, the game is already widely known as Chronicles of Elyria, not Earth, Europe or something else.

But this would make a nice community project, apart from original CoE, like a mod or something. From everything I've seen, the only things that need changing is the map and the storyline. Maybe a bit of tweaking here and there. It could be quite a different game on the exact same platform as CoE. Like a historical CoE. Different niche.

The crazy part of this idea is that it's unlikely to happen here. That's why I put it in Tavern section.

3/20/2016 12:46:08 AM #3

I somehow doubt that they'll provide their backend server code and technology stack to open up the game for modding.

3/20/2016 2:00:14 AM #4

Creative tools will be available for players to create their own content. [Source]

Also, Ender, that's a nice idea. However, as you stated: This is Chronicles of Elyria, not Earth. I highly doubt the 10-year story that Soulbound Studios has planned will fit into Europe's history, much less the low to high-fantasy creatures planned to be implemented in the game. Gladly, Earth does not have a Trollmouth Salamander in existence.

If you or anybody else would be willing to put in the work to turning Europe and its history into a game, I'd be willing to try it out :)

3/20/2016 2:42:19 AM #5

I like the concept of waging war for ancestor land and such because at one point or another king will be killed, some will rise, nation will rise and fall, land will be raided or captured... civil war may happens... The leader you see now may die and leave their legacy behind them and watch as their old nation grow while managing their own farm in another life.