COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
First person only, please.

I'm sure it was considered and has probably been suggested before. However, I will post here in support of all my floating hands brethren.

This game should be first person only.

First person is simply the best way to experience immersive games like this. The suspense, the rush of what lies around the next corner, the face to face interaction, it simply can't be beat. Especially with VR on the horizon, and excessive 3rd person view mmos in the genre, 1st person is the most exciting and immersive way to engage in a game world and the way to go. CoE deserves first person, please (re)consider it!

8/9/2016 6:21:33 AM #1

If anything there should be an option. A lot of people prefer 3rd person as well. I'm sure the developers have something in mind to make everyone happy.

8/9/2016 6:35:00 AM #2

I think we have more important things to worry about than whether a MMORPG is 1PV or 3PV, don't we? It is such a niche issue for an RPG. Maybe a MOBA would suit you and your floating hands bretheren better?

8/9/2016 6:45:11 AM #3

Posted By Perry Falco at 11:35 PM - Mon Aug 08 2016

I think we have more important things to worry about than whether a MMORPG is 1PV or 3PV, don't we? It is such a niche issue for an RPG. Maybe a MOBA would suit you and your floating hands bretheren better?

I wouldn't recommend worry. It's a waste usually. I would, however, really enjoy 1st person. Most MOBAs are bird's eye, I'm not sure about the connection you're making there. Posted By RodzorJenkins at 11:21 PM - Mon Aug 08 2016

If anything there should be an option. A lot of people prefer 3rd person as well. I'm sure the developers have something in mind to make everyone happy.

Options are cool, but 3rd person brings obvious advantages and if it's available tends to dominate. So much of this game is about "feeling" your story, it's a tried and true method for player immersion, I hope they go 1st person.

8/9/2016 6:56:08 AM #4

Options are cool. So if you think 3PV has advantages, maybe you should choose that option, instead of your presumed inferior option.

I doubt if player view into the game world will make or break immersion. It's never bothered me much over the years.

Of course if you want to send me cutting edge VR gear, maybe I could come up out of the stone age and see your 'point of view' on this matter.

8/9/2016 6:57:30 AM #5

1st person or 3rd person is fine with me, It would be better if people got the choice, that way if you prefer one or the other you have it. I don't see the point of forcing someone to use a viewpoint they don't want to use.

As for VR, 1st person views are generally more prone to motion sickness that 3rd person views, although if the VR FPS game Onward is to be believed they've totally got rid of any motion sickness...

As for gaining advantage, this isn't an FPS so using your extra view to peek round corners is largely unnecessary. Though there are parts of the game that it could give you a advantage, such as a thief peeking round a corner to see if the coast is clear, so your worries are not entirely without merit but the game is going to offer a whole lot more than that. Crafters may not ever engage in PVP in their life and may prefer 3rd person, it would be wrong to tie them into 1st person in a game like this.

8/9/2016 6:58:12 AM #6

Not gonna happen. We've posted elsewhere how we're resolving the small advantages available to 3rd person view.

8/9/2016 7:05:48 AM #7

Posted By Caspian at 11:58 PM - Mon Aug 08 2016

Not gonna happen. We've posted elsewhere how we're resolving the small advantages available to 3rd person view.

Got a link for me, I'd be interested. Will 1st person be an option, to your understanding? Thanks for the reply.

8/9/2016 7:15:55 AM #8

1st Person is an option. It's not a single link. It's different discussion on seeing behind you vs. seeing around corners.

Regarding seeing behind you, even the third person camera is close enough to make it impossible to get much warning. And currently, the camera prevents you from rotating behind you. First your head turns, and then your body if you rotate the camera.

Next, we added in a mechanic for 1st person that allows it to look around corners without being seen to counteract the benefit 3rd person generally has here.

8/9/2016 7:35:02 AM #9

Posted By Caspian at 0:15 AM - Tue Aug 09 2016

1st Person is an option. It's not a single link. It's different discussion on seeing behind you vs. seeing around corners.

Regarding seeing behind you, even the third person camera is close enough to make it impossible to get much warning. And currently, the camera prevents you from rotating behind you. First your head turns, and then your body if you rotate the camera.

Next, we added in a mechanic for 1st person that allows it to look around corners without being seen to counteract the benefit 3rd person generally has here.

Glad to hear it's in. Combat warning is one issue, assuming pickpocketing would apply to players, seeing a hand move toward your pocket might spoil the surprise. Glad you're looking at it creatively, it's more of a personal preference for immersion and I know it's not for everyone.

Plus a "peek" in 1st person sounds awesome.

8/9/2016 7:48:39 AM #10

In the interest of full immersion, these changes seem great!

8/9/2016 8:55:30 AM #11

Posted By Caspian at 7:58 AM - Tue Aug 09 2016

Phew! Glad to read this. I honestly can't play in first person - I get disorientated and ended up dying lots. Not much fun.

Penny for the bard

8/9/2016 11:28:18 AM #12

Although I agree with you and would much prefer this be a first person only title, I can see how many would be against that.

Instead I would like 1st person to bring exclusive benefits that you couldn't get while in 3rd person view. For example: 1st person will have the "sensory minimap" while third person gives you better visual situational awareness.

CoE takes great care in making sure immersion and story is key so I'm wondering how they justify everyone being able to see themselves. Perhaps it's a sort of "soul vision"?

8/9/2016 11:43:29 AM #13

I would like 1st person to bring exclusive benefits that you couldn't get while in 3rd person view.

As Caspian said, they're working on ways to resolve any advantages available to 3rd person view.

Result? People will be on an even footing, regardless of how they want to play so I don't believe giving people "exclusive benefits" because they play in first person is necessary.

I think the answer is clear: if you want to play first person, play first person and enjoy it. The same as someone who doesn't want to play first person will enjoy their playstyle, too.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

8/9/2016 1:29:21 PM #14

I'm glad to read it's not gonna be first person only since I am one with motion sickness so I can't play in first person :(.

Hi!

8/9/2016 2:24:11 PM #15

I like 3rd person because I enjoy looking at the animations when I fight lol..