COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The monopoly of CoE youtube content exclusivity.

Anyone else find it extremely unfair that BW (bycuckle) gets to have interviews with devs, yet others cannot? I find BW to be extremely boring and irritating, and I'd like to see smarter and less self-centered youtubers be allowed to have itnerviews with devs and produce CoE content.

8/30/2016 6:20:54 AM #16
[Featured]

Anyone else find it extremely unfair that BW (bycuckle) gets to have interviews with devs, yet others cannot?

When we first announced development of CoE, BicycleWalrus and the good folks at DM21 Gaming approached us and asked to do QA's with us to discuss the stuff we were working on. We happily agreed, as they were both friendly and, like us, were struggling to find their place in a crowded market.

Since then, we've had a few people ask us to do interviews via YouTube, print, and online publications, and in most cases we've agreed. However, our "free time" has grown significantly less as of late, as our time and resources are no longer the only things on the line.

Indeed, we're accountable to every Kickstarter backer who put their faith in us to finish the game. That means being more cognizant of how we spend our time - including whether we take time out to do interviews.

You'll notice that, as of late, we haven't been doing interviews with anyone - including DM21 Gaming. It's nothing personal, to you, or anyone else, and DM21 Gaming has never complained that we've been unavailable to be on their show.

That said, YouTubers, streamers, etc. who resort to name-calling will never see us on their show.

I find BW to be extremely boring and irritating, and I'd like to see smarter and less self-centered youtubers be allowed to have itnerviews with devs and produce CoE content.

Your opinion of BW is irrelevant, and has no barring on whether we take time out, away from development, to do interviews.

Its harder for other youtubers to generate content when they are not given the newest info and 'exclusives' to generate interest in their channel, it'd mostly just be making reaction videos to things the chosen one has already put out.

DM21 Gaming was given exclusive access to content only once that I can recall, during a live panel, and that was the concept art of the Breaking. In all other cases, DM21 Gaming has spent time providing their thoughts and opinions on already published material.

So what's the underlying take-away? Think more about what you can do to help spread awareness of CoE, and less on what we can do to help increase your follower counts. We enjoy being on shows - all shows, not just DM21 Gaming, and when we get to the point we feel comfortable taking time out to do so, we'll solicit shows you'd like to see us on.

Thanks!
-Caspian

8/30/2016 10:27:39 AM #17

Ironically, I feel the best DM21 videos are the ones that he either has a dev on from the game or he follows a dev journal and gives his opinions on it. In the first case of having the devs on for Q&A's, in my opinion I think he does an excellent job. He lets the developer talk and realizes the show is about the game and not him. He has a friendly banter that seems to help draw some answers out of the dev because he has a way of making the person feel comfortable with him. And he just is plain knowledgeable about his subject. I just don't see how any one could do these much better. And as Caspian said, do you really want them taking time from making the game to do on line interviews with everyone that asks?

In the second case, any one can read a dev journal and make their own show around it like he has. Maybe others should do that.

I agree he does have a little bit of a self centered nature about his personality which I feel he realizes about himself and does a fine job of keeping it in check. When it does surface it is done in almost a comical way and if he is on with his wife she dosn't let him get away with it. I do get a kick at watching him very impatiently wait for someone to finish talking so he can speak again. And in his latest video when he brought up "Angry Joe" and his wife looked at him and said, "I don't even know who that is." The look on his face was enough to make me almost spit out my drink. I love it when he has his wife on because he comes off as an industry insider with his knowledge on the subject while she comes off as a fan of the game. And they do both realize it's for fun and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

And very recently I got a great deal of respect for him. With what went on with "No Man's Sky's" release and the way he was promoting it, I was afraid that he was going to turn a blind eye to the games problems and continue to support it 100%. I was mildly surprised to see he did a show were a lot of the content was about the games mis-steps and why they possibly happened. He did it in a very professional way without attacking the game but explaining what might of happened while agreeing the game has many problems.

BW was my first exposure to CoE and frankly pretty much the only person I really watch. I think he is a fine ambassador for the game and does a pretty good job covering it. I love how all the videos are usually an hour+ and not quick 5 minutes teasers.

Long live the Walrus!

8/30/2016 12:13:05 PM #18

How am I the first person to dislike this post? And I'm not even a fan of BW.

Scholar, you might not like BW but he has been consistent in his following and coverage of COE. He built a relationship early on when everyone else was ignoring this game as a pipe dream and whether you like him or not that is an earned position. And your post sounds like the collective whining of youtubers that were late to the table and are upset that there isn't as much room... don't throw fits, blame your favorite youtubers for not anticipating the success and building the relationships. All they had to do was reach out! Put the work in and be persistent.

I smell an entitlement mentality... so I must smash it!

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide. ~Napoleon Bonaparte Friend Code: 27AA6C

Stalwart Proving Grounds in Boros County Duchy of The Stormlands Kingdom of Vornair Luna.

8/30/2016 1:25:41 PM #19

This topic seems to come up every few weeks. Most popular youtubers are about making money (naturally) and want something that will bring in the views. Though I do love the idea of CoE, it's really nothing big atm. ALpha is still at least 5-6 months away but not like that would matter with NDA on it.

With anyone putting him down, I hope they plan to make their own videos and put in the hard work themselves. It's youtube anyone can do it after all. People complaining seem to want some random popular youtuber to just start making videos. Even though they must honestly know that won't happen and also won't make any videos themselves. I'm not even sure the whole point of the topic beside to insult the guy.

8/30/2016 7:18:21 PM #20

I'm not a youtuber myself and probably never will be, but seeing channels such as "electricBears" who puts in as much, if not more work than BW and not getting the recognition from the devs is really disheartening.

8/30/2016 7:56:11 PM #21

Speaking about youtube and other livestream content, the fairest way to handle things like this, would be a regular twitch / youtube stream made by the Devs, where they once in a while could answer questions posted by all of the community.

It works for all the other Kickstarter MMO Studios.

8/30/2016 8:04:23 PM #22

Posted By Scholar at 7:18 PM - Tue Aug 30 2016

I'm not a youtuber myself and probably never will be, but seeing channels such as "electricBears" who puts in as much, if not more work than BW and not getting the recognition from the devs is really disheartening.

So far I've only seen 7 videos from Electric Bears, and those were just him reading from the dev journals. I loved listening to him, but to say that he put in as much or more work into his channel featuring CoE just isn't true.