COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Communication

How will players be able to communicate with each other and to what extent? I remember in a Q&A the devs mentioned that the game would be mostly text based, but will players be able to use a form of voice chat audible only in a certain radius? Will the same go for text chat? And will there be a world chat where players could communicate worldwide? I'm not too keen on the latter, as that seems to deviate from the realism the devs seem to be shooting for.

10/15/2016 4:26:03 AM #1

There will be no in game voice chat. The devs were talking about the /say and /yell chat channels, which are restricted to a certain area around you. There will be some higher level chat channels, but they are strictly for out of character communication in the form of the Founder's super secret club and the New Player help line. There will also be /whisper for short range person to person communication and family chat which is continent wide telepathy with those in your birth family.

It's not a problem, it's a plot hook!

10/15/2016 4:54:10 AM #2

we all use Discord myfriend :)

Backer #733 "What do we tell the God of Death? not today... not today!"

3/28/2017 4:42:57 PM #3

No voice chat? That seems SHIT and good at the same time ;D

3/28/2017 6:19:43 PM #4

From my understanding there is No global voice chat. There will be face to face text chat which I am thinking is a Whisper, a general chat which is just louder than a whisper that close players may hear, a Yell for a broader radius, and a Family chat to communicate with all the members of your immediate family. And yes there may be a founder's chat, at least early on and hopefully a help chat for new players.

I would not fret too much on the matter, as Jaspurc has astutely noted many if not most players will be using some form out outside voice chat be it Discord, TeamSpeak, or Mumble to keep up with friends, family, guilds and general trades/shopping.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/28/2017 9:31:17 PM #5

I was wondering how events would be communicated that would start missions or quests will they shot across the screen? or will they be a billboard you need to read? will NPC's or other players tell us of these events? will a new quest appear in our log?

3/28/2017 10:09:03 PM #6

Posted By Iccubus at 5:31 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

I was wondering how events would be communicated that would start missions or quests will they shot across the screen? or will they be a billboard you need to read? will NPC's or other players tell us of these events? will a new quest appear in our log?

There will be no quests the way you're thinking. What there will be, are contracts signed between players and players, or players and NPCs. These aren't like your usual quests, since you have to remember which contracts you signed (although I assume nothing stops you from noting them down, but I wouldn't expect the game to remind you there's a contract you haven't completed yet, it won't hold your hand like that), there will likely be time limits on those contracts (No point bringing a hundred ores to a player with whom you made a contract a year ago), and there will likely be penalties on those contracts too (in the previous scenario, you'd likely end up having to pay compensation as per whatever was defined in the contract).

No message across the screen, most likely no billboard unless the town you're in sets up something like that somewhere, and most likely no logs either unless you manually log that information.

Norhurst, County of Opportunity

3/28/2017 10:13:14 PM #7

Most of the chat will be local. This will be perfect as the "telephone" of great deeds across the land end up with Where's Waldo slaying the demon... instead of Warmonger VI.

XD

3/28/2017 10:37:09 PM #8

Or a community warning system a large bell goes off and everyone comes to assist.

3/29/2017 9:37:16 PM #9

If you're wondering about how you'll be notified of events, it's very simple. If there is a cave-in miles away from you will probably have no knowledge of it unless someone tells you verbally or through a letter.

3/29/2017 10:54:24 PM #10

Posted By jaspurc at 11:54 PM - Fri Oct 14 2016

Discord is a nice tool in certain situations, but shouldn't replace anything in-game.

4/6/2017 1:34:09 AM #11

Posted By Scheneighnay at 3:54 PM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Discord is a nice tool in certain situations, but shouldn't replace anything in-game.

I doubt someone coordinating a large army would defer to written letter to communicate with the front lines.

4/6/2017 2:15:41 AM #12

Posted By Micropsia at 6:34 PM - Wed Apr 05 2017

I doubt someone coordinating a large army would defer to written letter to communicate with the front lines.

you're right they would be shouting commands through a chain of command whilst sitting in the back atop a horse surveying the battleground. That's how it was done back then.

4/6/2017 2:32:46 AM #13

Posted By Soichi at 9:15 PM - Wed Apr 05 2017

you're right they would be shouting commands through a chain of command whilst sitting in the back atop a horse surveying the battleground. That's how it was done back then.

Sadly, I believe most will use discord for battles regardless. Too much inefficiency on a self-imposed limitation. So in all practical regards, you might as well assume that guilds/clans/friends have telepathy or something similar if you want to keep the roleplay alive

4/6/2017 4:59:44 AM #14

Posted By Soichi at 7:15 PM - Wed Apr 05 2017

You're thinking low level command. I'm talking high level command.

4/6/2017 6:19:30 AM #15

I'd still assume most people who are going to be joining a war would just join teamspeak/discord and play like that. When compared to a lot of games that have in game voice, I have yet to have a positive experience and end up muting or turning it off anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I would't say no to the idea, but I highly doubt I'd use it either.