COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Interesting Goals

I am intrigued by the idea of being able to buy both Souls and Sparks of Life using Story Points. It would seem that with sufficiently complex and varied scripting of the OPC engine, one could conceivably build an entire village using OPC scripts.

As a .NET developer, I think I might work towards building a village that can run itself. Seems like it would be interesting to see if I could be successful at it.

It will be interesting to see what the OPC engine is capable of.

2/14/2017 8:06:50 PM #1

Bear in mind that OPC Scripts are meant to automate mundane tasks. It is unlikely that you will be able to perform challenging tasks using them. If you are a blacksmith...you may be able to use OPC Scripts to automate tasks that are mundane for you...something that is so simple for you to do that you have little chance of failure. Like making horseshoes. But if what you want to do is challenging? You're going to need to be online for that one.

OPC Scripts are not intended to replace actually playing the game. An OPC will be useful, but not nearly as useful as an actual player would be.

In essence, OPC Scripts are meant to automate things like training (which only improves your skill in something to a certain point), exercising, traveling from one place to another, running a store, walking a beat as a guard, and other simple, mundane tasks. It is not intended as something where you just program your character to do all the things....then never really have to log in again.

So, in theory...I suppose you could try to create an OPC village....but it's going to be a pretty lackluster village that is just barely getting by, at best.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

2/26/2017 10:59:43 PM #2

For me, one of the biggest attractions of this game is that I am free to pursue my own interests. For instance, I love to script character actions (botting in some games - boo) then watch the characters perform more and more complex actions. I know that is not satisfying for many but it is for me. I hope Elyria will offer many varied and powerful scripting options. I also notice that many people assume that everyone will be playing the game for the same reasons that they play, that they will want the same results that they do. Well, good luck with that.

2/26/2017 11:09:48 PM #3

Considering the fact one spark should potentially last you a real life year I doubt storypoints are going to provide too many sparks of life too often, otherwise nobody is going to need to purchase sparks and the company will go bust.