COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Magical Items

Alright, so we know that Magic is a Talent among other various talents equally beautiful. However, we also know that there will be magical items in the game. Just as a speculation, what kind of items do think these will entail? How rare do you think they'll be? A staff that allows the user to cast fire magic? An amulet granting the owner immortality? A powerful sword with a blood lust that drains the users life force if not regularly fed the flesh of your enemies?

You never know. They might see something they like & consider tossing it into the game. ;)

Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together.

2/21/2017 3:47:30 AM #1

Items of these natures are called relics and should be quite rare and unable to be created. The way the relics are suppose to work from what Iv'e heard is that you basically have no idea what you are dealing with until you get it appraised or something of the nature and somebody notices that it is an item from the lore. These items could include anything from swords to stones and the way they would be "created" is if they play some key aspect in history of COE, for sure there should be some that are pre-generated by the game devs but there will be some that will be from the people that are in the game in order to show the history matters

2/21/2017 2:27:22 PM #2

Seeing as Magic and Talents are so rare in Elyria that the common person doesn't think they exist, and the average person will never see a Talent in action in their entire life...I would guess that magic items are spectacularly rare.

After all, there wouldn't be the running doubt in Elyria as to whether or not magic is real if you had people walking around with flame-throwing staffs, glowing swords, and stones that let them speak to someone miles away.

The best way to think of Elyria is to consider the universe of Game of Thrones right around the time the dragons are hatching. Magic is out there....but nobody you know has ever seen it...nobody your friends know has ever seen it. But your Uncle says he knows a guy whose brother's niece's father-in-law's grandfather once saw someone disappear into thin air. Most people think that old man is crazy...or at least had hit the hooch a little too hard that day, but he swears he's telling the truth. And there are legends out there...tales of magic and power. But you look at them kind of like the legend of King Arthur and Merlin...just a story. Maybe there's a little truth behind it, but a man who can conjure fire from empty air? Surely that's made up.

That's the level of rarity to expect for anything magical in Elyria at game launch. Now, will that change over time? We don't know...that's likely fodder for the 10-year story.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

2/21/2017 3:42:15 PM #3

Some questions are:

• will non magic users be able to recognize and use magical items
  • if yes, will magic users be able to use magical items with greater efficiency (better boost gained from item) than non magical users, or will stat boost from magical item be equal for anyone who wields it
  • will magic users be able to implant "some" magic properties on some items (if yes will the cost for doing this be significant)
  • will magical items be able to be broken into base materials, if yes will it be magical materials that can be use to re craft a different magical item (also, if yes, who will be able to do such a thing, magic user, or super skilled blacksmith, or super skilled blacksmith who is also a magic user)
  • can magical items be destroyed in any way (so they do not pose a threat anymore) if anyone would wish to do so

And last but not the least:

• will magical items slowly consume their users and bring them to madness (decreasing some of their other stats while being used) hint hint

2/22/2017 4:39:01 AM #4

Posted By guildsbounty at 08:27 AM - Tue Feb 21 2017

Seeing as Magic and Talents are so rare in Elyria that the common person doesn't think they exist, and the average person will never see a Talent in action in their entire life...I would guess that magic items are spectacularly rare.

After all, there wouldn't be the running doubt in Elyria as to whether or not magic is real if you had people walking around with flame-throwing staffs, glowing swords, and stones that let them speak to someone miles away.

The best way to think of Elyria is to consider the universe of Game of Thrones right around the time the dragons are hatching. Magic is out there....but nobody you know has ever seen it...nobody your friends know has ever seen it. But your Uncle says he knows a guy whose brother's niece's father-in-law's grandfather once saw someone disappear into thin air. Most people think that old man is crazy...or at least had hit the hooch a little too hard that day, but he swears he's telling the truth. And there are legends out there...tales of magic and power. But you look at them kind of like the legend of King Arthur and Merlin...just a story. Maybe there's a little truth behind it, but a man who can conjure fire from empty air? Surely that's made up.

That's the level of rarity to expect for anything magical in Elyria at game launch. Now, will that change over time? We don't know...that's likely fodder for the 10-year story.

That's what excites me the most. The fact that it's going to be almost exactly like Game of Thrones & depending on the type of life you live, there's a higher chance for you to encounter those kinds of things. However, just the rumors alone will be enough to keep the game exciting. Just like when that first guy came back talking about the white walkers & now all the sudden magic, and mystic items, and old legends are suddenly appearing out of nowhere. All it took was for a single incident to turn normal life into absolute Chaos. There will most likely be inter-kingdom wars & events with players concerning nothing with those wars, and maybe some of the Kings being interested with these events. It's going to be beautiful. :') Especially if the engine really takes interest in the players like they say it will and, pushes them closer to goals they're trying to accomplish.

Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together.

2/22/2017 4:41:35 AM #5

Posted By Gothix at 09:42 AM - Tue Feb 21 2017

Some questions are:

• will non magic users be able to recognize and use magical items
  • if yes, will magic users be able to use magical items with greater efficiency (better boost gained from item) than non magical users, or will stat boost from magical item be equal for anyone who wields it
  • will magic users be able to implant "some" magic properties on some items (if yes will the cost for doing this be significant)
  • will magical items be able to be broken into base materials, if yes will it be magical materials that can be use to re craft a different magical item (also, if yes, who will be able to do such a thing, magic user, or super skilled blacksmith, or super skilled blacksmith who is also a magic user)
  • can magical items be destroyed in any way (so they do not pose a threat anymore) if anyone would wish to do so

And last but not the least:

• will magical items slowly consume their users and bring them to madness (decreasing some of their other stats while being used) hint hint

Those were some great questions you asked. Some of them I pondered myself, and some brought new ideas to my mind. I'm really quite interested in the idea of people with Talents being able to imbue an item with a portion of their power, for whatever cost, if there even is one. That way they can pass the item down through their generations long after they've died. Leaving their family with a special advantage, unless the items is say lost... or stolen. :)

2/27/2017 2:40:37 PM #6

I'm hoping for an urn of ever producing enchiladas. No one need fear hunger again!... The only side effect is that you might die from the heart burn.

All seriousness, I'd love a book of maps that changes according to the world. That'd be pretty cool.

- Shmuck