COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Evil Kingdoms

In many old stories there are always a king or queen who are seen as evil. They oppress their subjects by taxes or by displays of cruelty. My question is this. Will we have the power to be truly evil in this game? If we ever rise up to become king of a region will we have the ability to perform the same kinds of cruel actions as those kings/Queens in both stories and reality?

3/29/2017 2:01:52 AM #16

As a countess, I would wager it would take a collective of all of use Nobles for a true evil kingdom to function.

The dukes are nothing with out the counts, the king is nothing with out the dukes and counts.

3/29/2017 2:17:00 AM #17

Posted By Drakedge at 7:01 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

As a countess, I would wager it would take a collective of all of use Nobles for a true evil kingdom to function.

The dukes are nothing with out the counts, the king is nothing with out the dukes and counts.

I agree. But it might be entertaining to see you all try.

3/29/2017 2:19:44 AM #18

or just have a part of a kingdom being the Dark side. wile the others follow the "path of the Force"

What goes up must come down. Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot. If a plan is stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid.

3/29/2017 4:54:29 AM #19

The King might establish his own "secret service".

Publicly he could deny any involvement (if someone would even suspect) while "in shadows" his dark task force would operate on his instruction, not being restricted by restraints of the law, doing "what's necessary" to accomplish the goals (whatever these goals may be).

King retains his public "good image", and the dirty work still end up done.

Also, a nice way for a high level deviant mercenaries to make some profit. All contracts would have to be "verbal only" though and rely on trust. King would surely not be able to sign on something that "officially" doesn't exist.

Which brings me to some interesting questions...

Contracts for shady deals. Let's say you hire someone to assassinate a target. Would you sign a contract for that or would you rely on "verbal agreement", pay half in advance and half after the job?

Could a contract (if it exists) be used as an evidence later on if a third party got hands on it? Can you even take possession of contracts that are not yours, and inspect them?

Can you burn a contract after the deal is done? Does contract come in multiple copies that can later be stolen? For example you sign a contract, then later on you steal all copies of said contract and destroy them. And if you manage that, then no bounty token can be issued since "broken contract" doesn't exist?

3/29/2017 1:38:55 PM #20

Posted By Caspian at 10:17 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

IS that a challenge? :P

Vornair/ Somerset /// Guild Leader Apollo

3/29/2017 2:52:10 PM #21

Posted By Spongehunter at 06:38 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Posted By Caspian at 10:17 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

IS that a challenge? :P

I think it was a challenge by Caspian... Question is, who will bet their Kingdom to meet this "Double Dog Dare?"

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

3/29/2017 3:04:57 PM #22

What I think would be interesting would be a Kingdom that operates like the Necromongers from the Riddick series.

What I mean by that is, rather than an evil upper class that just craps on the lower class, an entire Kingdom with the brutal focus of dominating the entire server, with no mercy or politics, and just kind of annexes surrounding lands. Either join and fight for us, or burn.

I think it is clear that roleplay would be at least a little bit involved in something like this, but I think the most important thing would be to remain true to the cause. No cute little alliances with certain foreign counts because it suits you. They straight up join you or die. I'd play in a Kingdom like that just for the interesting atmosphere.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

3/29/2017 6:10:16 PM #23

Good and Evil are very subjective.

I think we will see many "evil" communities in the game, of various flavors, and I sure hope so. Makes the game so much more interesting!

3/29/2017 6:22:01 PM #24

Posted By Buffbc at 2:10 PM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Good and Evil are very subjective.

I think we will see many "evil" communities in the game, of various flavors, and I sure hope so. Makes the game so much more interesting!

A lot of players here use the DnD meaning of evil. I.E. the disregard for human life/morals. So as long as you honor basic human rights and life you wouldn't be evil in that meaning of the word. An evil kingdom would be kingdoms where they view basic rights and life as an option that can be taken away whenever they want.

While they are subjective, I've seen a lot of DnD uses of the term and I think that's the generally accepted meaning of it.

I don't know anymore.

4/1/2017 12:07:31 AM #25

Power corrupts and the end justifies the means. Especially in online gaming. We'll see plenty of evil kingdoms, eventually.

4/1/2017 12:28:19 AM #26

Posted By Gothix at 11:54 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

The King might establish his own "secret service".

Publicly he could deny any involvement (if someone would even suspect) while "in shadows" his dark task force would operate on his instruction, not being restricted by restraints of the law, doing "what's necessary" to accomplish the goals (whatever these goals may be).

King retains his public "good image", and the dirty work still end up done.

Also, a nice way for a high level deviant mercenaries to make some profit. All contracts would have to be "verbal only" though and rely on trust. King would surely not be able to sign on something that "officially" doesn't exist.

Which brings me to some interesting questions...

Contracts for shady deals. Let's say you hire someone to assassinate a target. Would you sign a contract for that or would you rely on "verbal agreement", pay half in advance and half after the job?

Could a contract (if it exists) be used as an evidence later on if a third party got hands on it? Can you even take possession of contracts that are not yours, and inspect them?

Can you burn a contract after the deal is done? Does contract come in multiple copies that can later be stolen? For example you sign a contract, then later on you steal all copies of said contract and destroy them. And if you manage that, then no bounty token can be issued since "broken contract" doesn't exist?

Do what real-world cartels and corrupt governments do: hire people whose job it is to hire goons, so that you can deny all involvement.

4/1/2017 1:04:37 PM #27

I don't belive there are "evil" kings or queens I believe there are kings and queens who will have different beliefs and some that care more about wealth then the poor men and women in there city but I belive it is a case of "evil" more of a gray area where the citizens decide how the like the current leaders and laws as I do not think that any king or queen got their position just to make others lives harder and if some how they do make ordinary people's lives harder I'm sure there will be a rebellion or revolution.