COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Taverns: everything on tap forever?

In the survival video, Caspian said that the need for food was basically something that would only affect you outside settlements: when travelling, you'll actually have to eat your rations, camp, etc.

But when in town you'll get the effects of food and rest just by hanging out at the local tavern.

Does that mean, though, that the food effect comes from the tavern building itself? Will innkeepers have no further need for supplies of bread and beer once their inn is constructed?

I'm not sure I like this, if so.

3/31/2017 3:13:14 PM #1

Yeah I would prefer being able to select what type of food I'm eating, especially if I get a bonus from it.

3/31/2017 3:14:26 PM #2

The way this works, AFAIK, is like so:

If you are in a town that has a tavern, AND a well, AND a steady food supply, you will never starve to death or die of dehydration while in that town.

That's not to say you will be well fed and operating at peak efficiency. Just that you won't die.

In fact, I recall a point being made about this at some point where they said that it's still a really good idea to actually eat and drink, even if living in a town with a tavern.

Think of it like this...if you live in a town with a tavern, you automatically get the bare minimum water and food to not die. But you're hungry and thirsty pretty much all the time. There's quite a difference between 'enough to not die' and 'enough to actually be satisfied and not distracted by your stomach gnawing on your own spine.'

EDIT: If nothing else.... something has to keep the proprietors of a tavern in business...otherwise there's no motivation for a player to ever run one.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/31/2017 3:34:33 PM #3

I think Caspian also said the Tavern will maintain a players vitality and increase it a bit. However, by eating and drinking it will increase faster. So the exhausted adventurers coming in from the wilds need to come in and if their vitality is low, just being in the tavern will increase it. But if they want to hurry and get back out into the wilds they can eat and drink as well which will increase the vitality gains that much faster. So I think Tavern owners will need to keep stock on hand to supply to their patrons.

3/31/2017 3:39:08 PM #4

Posted By guildsbounty at 08:14 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

If you are in a town that has a tavern, AND a well, AND a steady food supply, you will never starve to death or die of dehydration while in that town.

That's not to say you will be well fed and operating at peak efficiency. Just that you won't die.

That isn't what Caspian said in the video, though.

He said that energy levels would remain level in town unless depleted by activity such as crafting.

In town you would replenish your energy by visiting a tavern -- and taverns increase energy faster if there's a bard there, or if you participate in activities like dice games while there.

Taverns could presumably also sell food as an option to increase energy still faster, but they don't appear to need food in order to work.

3/31/2017 3:48:12 PM #5

Caspian has said before that towns will need to maintain a food supply. I imagine some of our tax money will go towards this.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/31/2017 3:55:41 PM #6

Posted By Hexprone at 11:39 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Posted By guildsbounty at 08:14 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

That isn't what Caspian said in the video, though.

He said that energy levels would remain level in town unless depleted by activity such as crafting.

In town you would replenish your energy by visiting a tavern -- and taverns increase energy faster if there's a bard there, or if you participate in activities like dice games while there.

Taverns could presumably also sell food as an option to increase energy still faster, but they don't appear to need food in order to work.

Unless, as has been suggested before and, IIRC, mentioned by SbS, there are other benefits to eating good food that can't be had just from hanging out and relaxing.

So, yes....you could go hang out in a tavern for a while to relax and replenish your energy...or you could eat a good meal and (just as an example) boost your energy levels above your normal cap. Or possibly provide some other bonus.

I mean...there has to be some benefit to eating good food, or 'Cook' would not be a viable profession for a player to be dedicated to. If there was no mechanical difference between eating rice and beans versus eating a gourmet meal...the only reason to bother with a gourmet meal is if there is some other reason (like people at a feast expecting high quality food) to do so. Which means that most players would pick up enough cooking skill to make themselves the most basic of dishes and just live off of that...because there's no reason to ever get anything better.

So, you may be right...that a Tavern does not need to sell food in order for the players hanging around it to not die and to replenish their energy. But if good food provides a significant enough benefit, then the tavern will definitely sell it.

The other balancing factor, of course, being how long you have to just sit in a tavern to fully recover your energy. In CoE, Time is unquestionably Money. Even the time in which you are offline can be put to use due to OPC scripts. If you spend a long time just sitting in a tavern waiting for your stamina to eventually refill, then that's an awful lot of time you've wasted where your character could be doing something more productive than just sitting there.

Disregarding the effect this could have on skill training, think about a simple look at cost. Suppose you are a tailor who runs their own shop. Any time you spend in the tavern is time your shop is closed. You could go in there and sit around for a long time to let your stamina refill for free....during which your store is closed and you cannot make any money...or you could pop in, buy some food, and get back to your shop faster, very possibly making the cost of the food worth the time you saved. The same would apply to a dedicated craftsman...time spent sitting in the tavern is time not spent making things you can sell.

So...to that end...the easy way to balance things so the tavern still needs to sell food and drink is to make sure that the passive stamina refill from being in a tavern is slow enough that, for most players, it's not worth waiting.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/31/2017 3:58:25 PM #7

The way i see it, and how i hope it works. Is that the tavern will provide you the basic need for food and water, aslong as it has a supply.

I remember reading that taverns will have a cache that suppliers can deposit food into. So aslong as this cache has food in it all buffs are active.

And the amount of people "eating" from the tavern depletes from this cache, but at a slower rate than in the wilderness.

To put some numbers to it: (all hypothetical) Wilderness = 10 food/hr In town with tavern = 5 food/hr aslong as the tavern cache has food in it.

If this isnt the case, towns with a tavern wont need farms around to supply them, they wil have unlimited food, which to me, is wrong.

3/31/2017 4:18:41 PM #8

This is a very good topic, and I for one would love to hear others idea on how it will work. If players want to be producers Ie: farmers, ranchers etc. How do they tell who will need their produce? If the Tavern automatically feed people, how much food stores will they go through. Can a single baker supply a single Tavern? How many farms will be too many and their produce cant find a market?

Will Kingdoms have to make trade packs? I make this, you make that and we will trade our surpluses? THis could be a deciding factor on players wanting to be producers or merchants. Can they make a living off their wears and how easy is it to get your items to market?

3/31/2017 6:38:24 PM #9

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 11:48 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Caspian has said before that towns will need to maintain a food supply. I imagine some of our tax money will go towards this.

I believe it was said the tavern had to actually buy the food and drink from the farm or other suppliers. If the tavern runs out, it will no longer be in supply. I believe thats what was said.

3/31/2017 7:28:46 PM #10

Posted By Bokimbol at 2:38 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 11:48 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

I believe it was said the tavern had to actually buy the food and drink from the farm or other suppliers. If the tavern runs out, it will no longer be in supply. I believe thats what was said.

If a tavern is automatically supplying some food to anyone within a certain radius, that food will need to be paid for somehow. Either the tavern will pay for it out of their profits or the town will subsidize them with tax money. There may be other ways to handle it, but those are the options that come to my mind.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/31/2017 7:52:10 PM #11

I think the idea is that just being in a town keeps your food and water stats mid range and level or at the bare minimum required for not starving, because it's assumed you would just go home now and again to eat and drink. If however you wanted to venture out of town or do some crafting being stuck at mid range stats or lowest reasonable stats isn't good enough. You would need to eat and drink and sleep in order to increase those stats to max them so you can then go out of town or go do some crafting. In order to do that you would go to the tavern. The idea behind it IMO is simply to stop you worrying about survival whilst in town, to stop you worrying about survival in town your stats will just drop to the threshold of starvation and thirst and stop there and not dip below the danger level, but if you wanted to actually do something then you need to go and eat and drink.

3/31/2017 8:39:25 PM #12

bump

3/31/2017 8:43:31 PM #13

I think taverns will stabilise you and allow slow recovery to a point. If you want to maximise your work time, travel or get buffs, you'll be wanting decent supplies.