COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Mayor pledging early to Count

Have a question about how many settlements are available under a count? I am currently a mayor pledge and hearing that they binded the king/duke/and count. But the mayor is not binded to a county. So this will lead to a bit of confusion at exposition. So should mayors/barons be ready for change of county? I am hearing that a counts County can have 1-5 settlements available. So if I build close to the county and really not in any how would taxes work? I went through forums, Q&A, and I haven't found anything to support everything above. So if anyone can shed some light on this would be much appreciated. Also link any data sources would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

5/18/2017 11:04:19 AM #1

I think that the KOE/MUD should end up getting most if not all of the counties incorporated. So wherever you settle you'd still be in someone's county and subjected to their tax rates. It won't be until later in the game that new lands are discovered and non player count owned lands exist again. If it were me I'd find a decent count who shares your goals or is willing to assist you in your endeavors.

5/18/2017 11:23:09 AM #2

As far as we know, the number of available settlements at domain selection will be "random", from 0/1 that point is not totally clear, to 75, that point is not clear either.

0 comes from an answer from Caspian in a Q&A where he says that some county may have only one settlement or even be empty.

75 comes from DJ#18 where Caspian said that Counties would have a max population of 750, and a hamlet, the smallest settlement, has a population of 10.

it is not clear if a minimum size will exist for a settlement to be available at domain selection ( can people select a hamlet or will they have to pick at least a village or even a town ?)

We know that since there are more counties than what was described in DJ#18 they are going to be smaller than the average described in the DJ.

From there it is all guesses and assumption, but the most general idea is that populated counties will have from 100 to 200 inhabitants, with one to 3 town level settlement, maybe for a few a city instead, and 1 to 3 villages, the less town, the more villages, so yes 5 settlements on AVERAGE.

But remember those are guesses and assumptions, the real answer is, no one knows yet how many settlements will exist in a county because those are going to be generated proceduraly during the world generation process, it will be a case by case situation as each county will be different.

IF more than 2 or 3 Aristocrates have pledged to a count they must be ready to move.

5/18/2017 11:27:58 AM #3

Yeah we got 4 mayors pledged to a count already. Now just waiting to see if we all get into the same County.

5/18/2017 11:39:15 AM #4

It is impossible to make precise plans yet - we need to know the layout of the lands first. I have a number of people who have already declared that they want to pledge their loyalty to me, but I've cautioned them about taking oaths when so much is still unknown.

Counties with more resources will naturally have more towns and cities. But they will also be more highly contested as the dance continues.

In any case, being that population centers are going to be resource dependent, it seems likely that the distribution will have a high variance from the median numbers that we calculate. In other words, the worlds are not likely to be balanced or evenly distributed.

It behooves mayors to have a general plan at this point, but making specific plans is a bit premature. Hopefully, land selection will occur before my beard gets any whiter, and we can start the dance in earnest.

Healdwald

5/18/2017 11:56:28 AM #5

Well I am getting to know our whole kingdom just in case. Hoping I get in with my group. Been making a lot of plans to support our county. Would need to reevaluate everything if I end up somewhere else. I heard the king/duchy/ and Count don't need to worry they will be binded together. But not the mayors and barons. So just looking for clarification on making my plans.

5/19/2017 9:31:14 PM #6

Posted By Iosef at 07:39 AM - Thu May 18 2017

It is impossible to make precise plans yet - we need to know the layout of the lands first. I have a number of people who have already declared that they want to pledge their loyalty to me, but I've cautioned them about taking oaths when so much is still unknown.

Yep, one of the reasons why I haven't even posted an informative thread on my county here on the coe forums yet. I think there is plenty of time to get all of this situated. Course that meant I missed out on tokens since I have an empty county still, but maybe "If I build it they will come..."

5/19/2017 9:36:59 PM #7

Posted By Iccubus at

Have a question about how many settlements are available under a count? I am currently a mayor pledge and hearing that they binded the king/duke/and count. But the mayor is not binded to a county. So this will lead to a bit of confusion at exposition. So should mayors/barons be ready for change of county? I am hearing that a counts County can have 1-5 settlements available. So if I build close to the county and really not in any how would taxes work? I went through forums, Q&A, and I haven't found anything to support everything above. So if anyone can shed some light on this would be much appreciated. Also link any data sources would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

I will gladly accept you into my county.

5/25/2017 8:13:51 PM #8

I also have a mayor pledge, and new to CoE. Finding this information helps a little, at least I know there is time to figure out where to go, or try to settle anyway.

5/25/2017 9:48:11 PM #9

Currently a count without any mayors and barons/baronesses in my county. Depending on how someone looks at it the less towns there are, the more ressources/land to use will be available and managing between the settlements will be easier, but at the same time it takes alot more effort and investment of the fewer players to get to a point where the production & research could reach the same stage as a region with many more players.

In short, fewer towns = more ressources but less productivity. This could lead to a region that will be more valuable since the others who burn through ressources faster for research & experiments, will eventually either trade or fight for more ressources.

With that said, I would gladly accept any person in search of a count who is cooperative and not making false promises. All I can say is we can discuss everything but it is all subject to change before and after launch.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

5/25/2017 11:19:47 PM #10

I think the best approach would be to pick a Duchy, and make only tentative plans with a county as a mayor. The number of towns within a Duchy will be much more uniform than the number in any one county. Now if you end up not having room in the county you tentatively planned on you'll want a plan for how to handle that. Maybe pick an NPC owned county next door or something that you could either take over or help a neighboring Count take over and merge into their own county.

5/25/2017 11:59:29 PM #11

It is also worth noting that anyone planning to be a Baron should also plan to settle where the duke needs a baron. That may or may not be in the county to which that baron has already pledged.

5/26/2017 1:24:58 AM #12

It was recommended that counts should plan for 2-3 settlements. Having a little extra room (NPC settlements) in a county is a good way to allow mayors/barons room for expansion without crippling one another.