COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
DJ#3 is live - Easter egg hunt here

Hello lovely CoE community.  The DJ#3 is live on MMORPG.com and can be found here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1308/feature/9993/Chronicles-of-Elyria-Design-Journal-3-Time-Aging-and-Offline-Player-Characters.html.  

Since the other DJ#3 thread was about writing the journal and is already 3 pages long, we'd like to request discussion of the article and the Easter egg hunt go here.  Happy hunting!

... ...
8/17/2015 9:38:30 PM #46

Hopefully you can't do pvp with OPC's. That would be next level griefing.

Friend Code FE4C46

8/17/2015 9:42:45 PM #47

you can, get killed when your offline so there will be offline pvp 

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/17/2015 9:52:00 PM #48

Ok folks... Some quick updates/answers to questions.

#1. How dark it will be is a great question. Honestly, I'm not a particular fan of things being so dark you can't continue to play at night. So the idea is there will be enough light you can continue your journey if you so desire. However, it'll be dark enough that things with the ability to make themselves hidden in the darkness, will be hidden.

#2. Nobody has even come close to this week's Easter Egg. This week's Easter Egg focuses on how you interact with others - NPCs as well as PCs/OPCs, and leads to some really great mechanics.

#3. Amarok nailed the second half of a previous week's Easter Egg though. I was going to tell you about it before, but as nobody hinted at it, I figured I'd leave it until someone stumbled upon it.

8/17/2015 9:58:48 PM #49

Well done Amarok. Luckly I still have 1 Ib easter bunny in the freezer. After loosing out on the easter egg hunt Im going to console myself with a piece.

8/17/2015 10:03:47 PM #50

"Before you ask, NPCs are effected by the passage of time as well. NPC children you are introduced to will, within a little over a month, become young adults. The apothecary you frequent for your reagents will age into retirement and will instead be found working her loom. And thus over the course of a year, you’ll become attached to multiple generations of NPCs. Ever promised to take care of an NPC’s family line in an RPG before? This puts it in a whole new perspective."

"To remedy this problem CoE introduces the concept of Offline Player Characters (OPCs). Whenever you sign off, Artificial Intelligence takes over and plays your character for you. But, we all know AI is never as good as the real thing, so we’re working on a system that allows you to create and trade scripted Behaviors for your characters."

The NPCs will run on the same/similar behaviours as OPCs it will probably be very dificult to tell the difference between a NPC and a OPC and maybe even between OPC and PC.  NPCs will live their own lives and go about their business (and not stand in their shop 24/7) 

maybe the AI will even be advanced enough to hold simple conversations (similar to some of those web bots) 

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/17/2015 10:05:27 PM #51

The hunt is still on. i only got the the part about vampires right (it was part of the 1st DJs easter egg)

8/17/2015 10:05:44 PM #52

You can't see the names of other characters or be able to tell if they are NPCs or PCs (till they talk in chat). 

You can use your social skills to communicate with them. 

8/17/2015 10:13:56 PM #53

Two charcters both born at the same time will age the same no matter how long either one are in game. I like that piece.

8/17/2015 10:20:35 PM #54

While we plan to provide a lot of pre-canned behaviors at launch, we’re really excited to see what the community can come up with, and plan to provide a lot of support to those players interested in expanding the game in this way.

Is this strickly through forum discussions or will there be limited modding or mechanics in game for making new behaviors for OPC interactions?

8/18/2015 12:08:13 AM #55

To clarify here... The Easter Egg of the first journal was that characters can live without souls. We covered previously that a Lich can put their soul into a phylactery. In doing so their soul no longer spirit walks when their body is defeated. They can live on indefinitely until their phylactery is destroyed. At that point, as their soul is no longer connected to their body, it's permadeath, and their soul returns to the Akashic Records.

The other half of that, which wasn't previously touched upon, is there is a race of people - Vampires - who feed on the spirit/souls of others. Weaker Vampires just drain spirit from their targets, reducing their overall life span. The more powerful Vampires can consume a person's soul entirely, sustaining them for much longer, and increasing their power. Doing so "captures" the soul, making it no longer playable by the owner. As well, the person who lost their soul becomes a Vampire themselves. A Vampire is extremely difficult to kill, and has many of the known advantages/disadvantages from lore. 

If you do manage to kill a Vampire, however, it's permadeath for them. As well, any souls they'd consumed and hold onto are released to the Akashic Records.

In short, Vampires are among the worst creatures in Elyria, and they are always KoS.

8/18/2015 12:49:09 AM #56

So will it be easy to detect a vampire, and what are the other disadvantages in being a vampire besides the typical ones like sunlight.

8/18/2015 1:10:55 AM #57

1. Is it easy to detect a vampire? No.

2. Disadvantages: The biggest disadvantages from the player's perspective are: 

• No adventuring during daylight hours
  • They have to feed on Mann-Kind in order to maintain the Spirit they lack
  • If they're killed, it's permadeath - and everyone will be trying to kill them

3. Advantages:

• They never age or die
  • They get more powerful over time
  • They develop additional Talents as they consume Souls.

8/18/2015 1:28:28 AM #58

ooo i have a couple of good questions now.

What if the talent isnt activated yet?

Can a vampire be good?

Can you choose vampire from the gitgo?

Do they have their own nation?

Is their a nation that worships vampires?

Can they join Guilds in secret?

Can they rule Nations in secret?

8/18/2015 1:29:31 AM #59

G'day everyone.
Hope I am not too late for egghunt :-)

I wonder if you have this on your mind:

• That depending on your actions, and how you interact with NPC's, OPC's and PC's you will dynamically modify/create the storyline of CoE. The world areoun dyou will change depending on what you have done, just in real life.

"This week's Easter Egg focuses on how you interact with others - NPCs as well as PCs/OPCs, and leads to some really great mechanics."

It's dead, Jim.

8/18/2015 1:31:24 AM #60

Ultimate question on vampires:

Can they mask their true nature if they are indoor / at night/ not starving/ not forced to interact with elements that kill them - fire, holy water etc.

I mean can you pretend to be a human?

It's dead, Jim.

... ...