COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
I hate the Waerd rant

Here's some bits and pieces of why I hate the whole existence of the Waerd that I wrote in the discord. I'm putting it here to see what you guys think. Anyone out their who can seriously defend the cult of the Waerd. (The cult of the Waerd is what I see them as).

Imagine me saying that as a To'resk merchant or something, I role played it up a little but those are still my opinions.

"Who are the Waerd to balance the world. Balance is objective. The Waerd use their god as a means to kill people they don't like. Even the Dras don't do that and they worship the same god

The Waerd assassinate people for money. They don't value life. They would butcher a babe in its mothers arms if their god willed it. They are cruel, and mindless slaves to their so called "cause"...

I understand they are murders. What's "complex" about that. Weather they believe it's for a greater cause or not. In Africa they burn gays in the streets for a greater cause. Killing is something the Waerd choose to do, the Dras do not kill for money but as far as I can see they still have the favor of their god. I hope the Waerd rot in their so called "balanced world"

I believe the Erishé did a noble thing by out casting the cult of the Waerd. The Waerd fantasize death. Death isn't pretty. Someone's life is not a bargaining chip to be tossed around. The Erishé knew that. I only wish they had instead destroyed the cult of the Waerd. Eradicated it's existence from the face of Elyria. At least then children could sleep easy at not without the fear of a waerd slitting their throat open because of their own idea of "balance".

Maybe I'm role playing my To'resk too hard. I just don't like how the Waerd seem to think they have the right to impose their own sense of how the world should be on everyone else. In general I just have a huge issue with anyone forcing their beliefs down other people's throats. Expecially when those beliefs involved taking the life of innocent people"

If you couldn't tell I don't really like the Waerd. I would have preferred the devs keep the Erishé on the starting continent and remove the Waerd. For one the Erishé seem like they would fit on the main continent as they were described as social and like to interact with the other tribes more.

Also the Waerd are obviously very solitary, it would have made more sense for the Erishé to drive the Waerd from the starting continent so the Waerd could find a large island and form their unique culture there away from all the pretenders.

In conclusion f#$* the Waerd and their beliefs.

8/1/2017 8:33:21 AM #1

In order to have diversity you can't have every tribe being nicey nice. The Neran are the middle ground and from there you have tribes going in multiple spectrums to the big tough wolfpack Brudvir, to the tiny agile Kypiq, to the Waered who work from the shadows. Each tribe fulfill a potential play-style that will be enticing to different people.

If someone enjoys playing games always being a master assassin who fights from the shadows and who prefers close knife combat from sneaking then the Waered are their perfect match. Some people enjoy playing the Dark Brotherhood on ESO or enjoy playing games like Assassins Creed and infact just like Assassins Creed there is parkour, the Waered should appeal to this calibre of player.

8/1/2017 9:13:29 AM #2

Ironically enough I think all the controversy and negativity surrounding the Waerd is exactly what will keep them as they are and as a full kingdom lol. SBS said they only want ~10% of the player base engaged in a tribe and I must they I think they are hitting that number right on the head with this one. Seems like a smaller dedicated bunch of the community is dogmatic in their support of the Waerd while the rest are either indifferent or outright opposed to the Waerd and this conflict between the far right and far left make the Waerd, IMO, one of the most interesting and real tribes to me.

For a tribe to mean something people need to feel for that tribe, and that emotion doesn't have to be positive. The anger and the love for this tribe really make it one I can appreciate, despite not being one that interests my play style. The passion players bring to the Waerd, either for or against, gives me a chilling sense of real life conflict that I hope carries into the game. So while I don't fully support your point of view, I thank you for it as you contribute to the conflict that make this tribe so astounding to watch.

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

8/1/2017 9:14:13 AM #3

I look forward to the intrigues, as a Neran myself.

If you hate the Waerd so much, you really can wipe them from the face of the world.

Tribal wars leading to genocide is supported, as far as I am aware.

As Kypiq flesh is a world renowned delicacy said to prolong youth I don't think there is anything strange about slaughtering different races. Quite honestly a continent wide race war would be one of the most interesting things in a game I can imagine.

It is a video game after all.

Friend Code: 92BF2D

8/1/2017 9:14:14 AM #4

I think it is great that you hate this concept even now, before there is any playable state of the Waerd in existence. It shows that whatever the planned effect of diversity between tribes should achieve, it is working.

This, in turn, speaks for the waerd. You have a heartfelt reason to antagonize them and may even carry this over into the game, when you finally have a chance to play it out.

While I understand that you might feel better with the Waerd being not a starting tribe and rather would see the Erishe, I like the idea of a tribe that truly divides opinions. Maybe you'll find it in you and make it a goal for your future in CoE to either push for the discovery of the Erishe or the destruction/change of the Waerd.

For all we know, the game might just be the place for that.

8/1/2017 10:29:59 AM #5

I like the whole concept of the waerd. Starting and ending wars sounds like a great game play experience. Doesn't even bother me with sharing everything within the settlement. I feel the waerd in the right hands will be the most dangerous of all the tribes. Won't upset me if my kingdom chooses this tribe.

8/1/2017 11:05:48 AM #6

"Who are the Waerd to balance the world. Balance is objective.

Balance requires opposites, otherwise the see-saw won't saw. If you have a tribe based on life, it is inevitable there will be a tribe which bases their beliefs on death. In this case it is balancing light and dark.

"The Waerd assassinate people for money.

Any killings (including assassinations) must be approved by the Two-Fold Queen. If they believe the death will contribute towards balance and is approved by the Queen they will do so. Keep in mind they don't necessarily get enjoyment from it.

Killing is something the Waerd choose to do

It is not a choice for them. It is based on their religion, culture and beliefs, much like the way many people base their lives on their own cultures and beliefs in our own societies. Just because you believe it to be wrong because of your culture and beliefs doesn't necessarily make it so. They may well think the same about the way you conduct yourself. Who is right? Should you be changing the way they think, or should they be changing yours?

I just have a huge issue with anyone forcing their beliefs down other people's throats.

Yet here you are, doing exactly what you say you don't like.

It's interesting you chose to write this from the perspective of the To'resk, the most hated tribe of The Waerd. Perhaps you should try writing it from the perspective of the Dras or Neran and see if - by following the current lore - you come up with a different result.

If you are planning to play To'resk I suggest you give The Waerd a wide berth. The Waerd is a tribe I would very much like to play.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/1/2017 11:19:55 AM #7

You forgot to mention NITT that the Dras also follow the same religion but they don't assassinate as a form of worship. So that means they waerd choose to kill as a form of worship. The two fold queen didn't say kill to balance the world anywhere in the Waerd write up so I assume that's something they added themselves under the guise of following their religion.

That's like me going into someones house and raping their wife and children and then using the excuse that my interpretation of the Christian bible made me rape those people. It's ludicrous.

You said I'm enforcing my belief on everyone by writing this thread but that's stupid because this is obviously my personal opinion but I'm not gonna go out and try and convert people into hating the Waerd. While the Waerd are putting their religious beliefs on people who have nothing to do with them.

The nazis also forced their religious beliefs about how the world should be on other people. Maybe I'm unfairly judging the book by its cover, and pages, and content...

So in conclusion f!#$ the Waerd and their beliefs

8/1/2017 11:31:28 AM #8

Nice thing about SoE you can pick what tribe you want, but stop bashing the Waerd. The tribe is awesome just the way it's setup. SBS did a great job creating the tribes and reading through them I have so many possibilities in creating my character.

All tribes are not for everyone and if you are not going to play the tribe why even talk about them.

8/1/2017 11:37:43 AM #9

From The Waerd tribes post:

It was then that the Two-Fold Queen presented herself. She explained that the Ancients of the past no longer held power in their new world, and that it was she who gave or withheld heat, she who dealt life or death.

This is not done indiscriminately, mind you, and assassinations are carried out by the will of the Two-Fold Queen. And although a Waerd can still kill as a personal choice, it is not condoned by the collective unless it is approved by The Queen.

It seems to me they wouldn't do so unless condoned by The Queen.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

8/1/2017 11:41:32 AM #10

I think almost all the tribes have their faults which is realistic. This thread is meant to point out and discuss the culture and religious practices of the Waerd.

I'm bashing a supremacest culture that thinks it has the right to shape the world how it thinks it should look.

8/1/2017 11:48:37 AM #11

Posted By Nitt at 04:37 AM - Tue Aug 01 2017

It was then that the Two-Fold Queen presented herself. She explained that the Ancients of the past no longer held power in their new world, and that it was she who gave or withheld heat, she who dealt life or death.

This is not done indiscriminately, mind you, and assassinations are carried out by the will of the Two-Fold Queen. And although a Waerd can still kill as a personal choice, it is not condoned by the collective unless it is approved by The Queen.

Oh I'm sorry then. Does the goddess herself just come down and give the A okay than? Like literally every time a assassination happens?

I think it mentioned in their that the queen tells the religious leaders who in turn give the okay. So no one really know 100% if it's what the goddess wants or if it's what the religious leaders just say.

Still like the great Davos Seaworth said in game of thrones "If your Lord commands you to burn children than your Lord is evil".

You still haven't answered why the Dras don't kill for the two fold queen if that's obviously her will

The will of the gods can be interpreted in many ways. The Waerd interpret it is the most vile way. The noble Erishé were true and had the will of the true Gods behind them. They knew what evil the cult of the Waerd were. The Waerd chose to betray Erathor and so they fell from grace.

8/1/2017 11:59:54 AM #12

If you are about to die and are saved by a demon who in turn makes you kill for them as a form of worship and sacrifice.

Newsflash! The Waerd basically sold their soul and identity to a demon.

8/1/2017 12:09:00 PM #13

Posted By MusaKn at 07:41 AM - Tue Aug 01 2017

I think almost all the tribes have their faults which is realistic. This thread is meant to point out and discuss the culture and religious practices of the Waerd.

I'm bashing a supremacest culture that thinks it has the right to shape the world how it thinks it should look.

Think you will find all the kingdom will be doing this no matter the tribe.

8/1/2017 12:18:35 PM #14

Based upon some of the things said in the OP, I think the maker of the OP should have a bigger problem with The Janoa than with The Waerd.

8/1/2017 12:25:01 PM #15

Posted By MusaKn at 9:48 PM - Tue Aug 01 2017

Posted By Nitt at 04:37 AM - Tue Aug 01 2017

Oh I'm sorry then. Does the goddess herself just come down and give the A okay than? Like literally every time a assassination happens?

I think it mentioned in their that the queen tells the religious leaders who in turn give the okay. So no one really know 100% if it's what the goddess wants or if it's what the religious leaders just say.

Still like the great Davos Seaworth said in game of thrones "If your Lord commands you to burn children than your Lord is evil".

You still haven't answered why the Dras don't kill for the two fold queen if that's obviously her will

The will of the gods can be interpreted in many ways. The Waerd interpret it is the most vile way. The noble Erishé were true and had the will of the true Gods behind them. They knew what evil the cult of the Waerd were. The Waerd chose to betray Erathor and so they fell from grace.

Indeed, I am interested to see what (if any) mechanics are put in place to indicate an assassination condoned by The Queen. As you say there is the potential for some tyrannical leader to abuse the system for their personal gain. Perhaps the innate traits of The Waerd may come into play, particularly around the idea that knowledge and information is vital to everyday living. Are they easily persuaded by their kin?

As to the Dras, they are the tribe which balances The Two-Fold Queen:

The Dras and the Waerd are alone in recognizing the necessity of the Two-Fold Queen. And while their perspectives on the Two-Fold Queen differ, they recognize one another's belief, and respect it.

You can't have life without death, light without dark. Otherwise there is nothing to compare each with.

Newsflash! The Waerd basically sold their soul and identity to a demon.

Heh, if that's the case, so did the Dras.