COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Fabric armor

i'm not talking about the gambeson or padded armor here, even if those provide some protection and double as good winter cloth, i'm actually talking about second layer armor, the Greek Linothorax.

The linothorax was a cuirass made of 12 to 20 layers of fabric bound together with glue, providing enough protection to survive arrows and swords while being light weight,cooler and cheaper than leather or metal armor.

Elyrian transposition

Every one is going to make some sort of padded armor, either from cotton, silk, linen or other fiber fabric, but only a few should go to linothorax.

The Kypiq are first in mind as wood armor tend to be cumbersome and as they will not have much leather but tons of silk. So Kypiq linothorax should be made out of silk and could come with a bark or leave scaling.

The other ones using the linothorax would be the Waerd, as few armor help keep cool in the hot semi-arid desert as the linothorax and they can team it with a goat wool gambison for cold weather season/time.

8/12/2017 10:34:20 PM #1

Sounds like an interesting armor type. It would be interesting if other professions, other than blacksmith, could create armor.

I don't like the idea of 'wood armor.' How long would it last? The durability would be extremely low. For this same reason I would expect shields to be replaced all the time.

8/12/2017 11:08:25 PM #2

The scales could be those of paper armor. Another one favorite armor.

8/12/2017 11:40:12 PM #3

If they implement plants which themselves pose an environmental hazard to the naked (just imagine, stinging nettle on your hanging petal), brush pants (heavy canvas) could become an instant staple of the common farmers/lumberjacks style.

I'm a forester. A man who takes trees that are all different and cuts them into boards that are all the same / Seeds that are all the same, and grows them into trees that are all different.

8/12/2017 11:45:41 PM #4

Posted By TheKnightMarshal at 5:34 PM - Sat Aug 12 2017

Sounds like an interesting armor type. It would be interesting if other professions, other than blacksmith, could create armor.

Leather workers should be making armor at the top end of their profession. Boiled leather is the common mans breastplate. Not /good/ armor. But, it's better than nothing and it's what the local militia can afford eh?

I don't like the idea of 'wood armor.' How long would it last? The durability would be extremely low. For this same reason I would expect shields to be replaced all the time.

Properly sealed or seasoned wood armor can last a good long time. The Japanese Samurai wore bamboo armor (I'm counting it as wood). Just take a whack at the coffee table with the butchers cleaver and you'll see that it's better than nothing.

I'm a forester. A man who takes trees that are all different and cuts them into boards that are all the same / Seeds that are all the same, and grows them into trees that are all different.