COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Talent Ramping? Maximum skill level?

Hi, newbie here that is absolutely enamored with this game. It's everything I've ever wanted in an MMO, thanks so much to the people making it.

Anyway on to the question. I understand how skill ramping works, when your character dies their skill level acts as a multiplier for experience gain for the next generation when that character dies the next will have an even larger multiplier and so on. Which brings me to my first question; Does it work the same way with talents? If in my first life I manage to be among the 5% to get a talent, then miraculously get the same talent on my next generation character, will my experience gain for that talent be multiplied according to the level I reached with that skill on my first character?

My other question is much simpler. Is there a maximum skill level? I would assume so, else players could become insanely overpowered. As generations progress and exp ramps increase people will be maxing their skills by like age 20 which is fine since they've earned it over time, just so long as there is a cap to how powerful they can become.

Thanks for the help!

Notes: My apologies if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, but I did search to no avail. I've never been very good at navigating forums although I did try, also with no success.

Also, I did read the part about how there won't technically be any "Experience" and how skills will mostly be player skill based, but I'm still hearing murmurs about skill levels which has led me to inquire.

Thanks again, Lord Greatsword

1/22/2018 11:36:03 PM #1

To your first question, They have stated that talents if you have one are bound to the soul not the body and will grow in power through lives. So yes you will keep it when you die and yes it will become stronger over time.

For your 2nd Yes there is a cap, Grand Master of that skill and they say 1% of the entire world will ever reach that level of skill.

1/22/2018 11:39:11 PM #2

Last I recall, talents are bound to the life, not the soul. That is, when a character dies, they lose the talent, but could have a flag for a new one on the soul's next life. So I believe talents would not have a similar multiplier.

There is a maximum "skill level" in that there are different tiers, and a soul can advance through those tiers over time. After several lifetimes, you could "level up", as it were, to be the best in your field. But I think it is that you can lose your skill tier if you stop working on that skill and someone gets better than you. That way, only a certain distribution of people will be at a skill tier at any given time. (This might need fact checking, as that might just be how I understand it.)

1/22/2018 11:43:58 PM #3

Hi Lord Greatsword,

There're a few different questions in there, but let me see what I can do about answering at least a few of them.

First, talents: Skills related to talents would still ramp, but the talent itself doesn't work that way. In our current design thinking, talents are bound to the character rather than the soul, so they leave no lasting imprint (like a skill ramp) on the soul. However, if a talent affects a skill somehow (e.g., you have a talent that allows you to access a hypothetical spellcasting skill), the work you put into advancing that skill will carry over the same way it would for any skill. This, means, in theory, that if you managed to have two characters gain that talent and they both were sparked with the same soul, the skill ramp would carry over.

As for "skill levels" - Skills do have skill levels and you can max out a particular skill. However, skills can get "rusty" if they aren't used, so just hitting max isn't a guarantee that your skill will stay maxed out. Likewise, aging takes a toll on your character and that can affect your ability to use your skills and the gains you can make, when. Finally, death itself will certainly set your skill development back. ;) But more importantly, your skill ramps decay based on usage too. If two characters back, you had a really high blacksmithing ramp, but you haven't smithed anything since then, chances are that ramp is all but gone by the time you start a 3rd generation character after that. These together all help deal with the potential issues with insane power curves, but at the core, yes skills have a max level even though characters themselves do not.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
1/23/2018 12:33:08 AM #4

Thanks for the help everyone! Maybe I missed it but I do have one more question,

"For your 2nd Yes there is a cap, Grand Master of that skill and they say 1% of the entire world will ever reach that level of skill."

What's stopping players from reaching that level? Just the amount of time it would take?

1/23/2018 12:49:39 AM #5

Snipehunter would obviously be able to answer that question best, but as far as I've heard, it's just time. In order to reach the top level, you'd have to work at it for several lifetimes (several real human years). I think there are conditions in place to try to keep the distribution fair accurate as well, so it might be harder to become Grand Master if there are already a lot of them, or the game might provide experience incentives if there are less than expected.

1/23/2018 12:59:46 AM #6

Grand Master and Legendary are less about your specific skill level # and more about your skill level compared to your peers. also If I recall right, fame level plays in to this as well.

as those are more like titles than skill rankings so to speak.

I can't recall the exact #s SBS gave off hand so these are just theoretical examples of what I vaguely remember reading ages ago.

legendary would be like the top 10% of masters and grand masters would be like the next 15-20% of the masters with the highest skill rating.

basically grand master and legendary are the top 25% of masters with the highest skill level and fame level if I recall correctly.

1/23/2018 1:46:25 AM #7

Posted By Lord Greatsword at

Hi, newbie here that is absolutely enamored with this game. It's everything I've ever wanted in an MMO, thanks so much to the people making it.

I think you will find that this is a very common sentiment here!

Welcome to CoE.

1/23/2018 2:01:37 AM #8

Newbie here too, Lord Greatsword. I'm totally smitten too, and I'm glad you asked some of the questions on my mind and phrased them in such a way that I could not. Welcome aboard.

Friend Code: CB1D33

2/8/2018 4:18:52 AM #9

Perhaps I'm a bit ambitious, but if my goal is to have strongest and most notable of all the Smithing Guilds, then why would I shy away from anything less than the highest possible tier of smithing? Granted it may take a bit of time, and quite a few charaters but, as long as I keep the same bloodline and work through descendents would I not be able to achieve my goal?

2/8/2018 4:34:06 AM #10

Posted By Montsombre at 8:18 PM - Wed Feb 07 2018

Perhaps I'm a bit ambitious, but if my goal is to have strongest and most notable of all the Smithing Guilds, then why would I shy away from anything less than the highest possible tier of smithing? Granted it may take a bit of time, and quite a few charaters but, as long as I keep the same bloodline and work through descendents would I not be able to achieve my goal?

It depends to some extent on what your competition is doing, especially since you have expressed your goal as "best", which means "better than all the rest". Smithing seems to be a highly popular profession, and if the many who seek to follow it are as dedicated and ambitious as you, you will have quite a contest to achieve that goal.

2/8/2018 4:58:33 AM #11

Posted By Lord Greatsword at

Anyway on to the question. I understand how skill ramping works, when your character dies their skill level acts as a multiplier for experience gain for the next generation when that character dies the next will have an even larger multiplier and so on. Which brings me to my first question; Does it work the same way with talents? If in my first life I manage to be among the 5% to get a talent, then miraculously get the same talent on my next generation character, will my experience gain for that talent be multiplied according to the level I reached with that skill on my first character?

My other question is much simpler. Is there a maximum skill level? I would assume so, else players could become insanely overpowered. As generations progress and exp ramps increase people will be maxing their skills by like age 20 which is fine since they've earned it over time, just so long as there is a cap to how powerful they can become.

Thanks for the help!

Notes: My apologies if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, but I did search to no avail. I've never been very good at navigating forums although I did try, also with no success.

Also, I did read the part about how there won't technically be any "Experience" and how skills will mostly be player skill based, but I'm still hearing murmurs about skill levels which has led me to inquire.

Thanks again, Lord Greatsword

You should get yourself a package sooner then later before the next price hike increase, right now we're still getting things at a discount. you will not be disappointed !

Also it will show your rank once you have a playable package paid off.

2/8/2018 5:02:12 AM #12

Posted By Snipehunter at 6:43 PM - Mon Jan 22 2018

Hi Lord Greatsword,

There're a few different questions in there, but let me see what I can do about answering at least a few of them.

First, talents: Skills related to talents would still ramp, but the talent itself doesn't work that way. In our current design thinking, talents are bound to the character rather than the soul, so they leave no lasting imprint (like a skill ramp) on the soul. However, if a talent affects a skill somehow (e.g., you have a talent that allows you to access a hypothetical spellcasting skill), the work you put into advancing that skill will carry over the same way it would for any skill. This, means, in theory, that if you managed to have two characters gain that talent and they both were sparked with the same soul, the skill ramp would carry over.

As for "skill levels" - Skills do have skill levels and you can max out a particular skill. However, skills can get "rusty" if they aren't used, so just hitting max isn't a guarantee that your skill will stay maxed out. Likewise, aging takes a toll on your character and that can affect your ability to use your skills and the gains you can make, when. Finally, death itself will certainly set your skill development back. ;) But more importantly, your skill ramps decay based on usage too. If two characters back, you had a really high blacksmithing ramp, but you haven't smithed anything since then, chances are that ramp is all but gone by the time you start a 3rd generation character after that. These together all help deal with the potential issues with insane power curves, but at the core, yes skills have a max level even though characters themselves do not.

Hope that helps! :)

com'on, what about skipping a generation ?

I think Skills should last at least until 3rd, even if only 25% as much is left from 2 gens ago. Just my thoughts. Otherwise it really forces you to do the same thing all the time.

It would be nice to at the leats play a different character and MAYBE go back to what you liked in another character 2 lives ago.

Just my perspective.