COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Can we read our OPC's memory?

We had a discussion in discord. Even if we play 6 hours a day, we will be with our charcter only about 1/4 of the time. So how would we know what happened to our character as an OPC?

Our OPC lives so many ingame days without us players being around. Anything could have happend while we were offline. So how would we know who our our OPC talked to? Who was friendly/unkind towards him? Who hurt him? Who helped him? Who cheated a shop-keeping OPC? Who are his regular customers? Did he get to know someone important?

Will our OPC have a memory that we can read when we log back in? In words or film sequences? There should be a way to keep trace somehow.

1/25/2018 4:05:06 PM #1

I don't know the answer, but I sure hope so.

1/25/2018 4:06:42 PM #2

O! I didn't know i wanted this, till now.

"We're all connected;
To eachother, biologically; To the earth, chemically; To the rest of the universe, atomically." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Friendcode: 205FC9

1/25/2018 4:43:49 PM #3

1/25/2018 4:44:08 PM #4

I concur. There should be some kind of log at minimum, and hopefully something a bit more than simply "X bought Y on Tuesday." I'm just not sure how that would work in the database, but since its supposed to work into the Story, I would think there is something kept.

Perhaps if there was a theft, death or other significant event, a cinematic would be good to "relive" the moment for the player to see what actually happened to them.

1/25/2018 4:48:08 PM #5

great thought. i hadn't considered it before now, nor do i recall hearing the devs speak of the matter. i think there should be some mechanic to this effect.

archer, tamer, survivalist, monster hunter, protector of the weak || duchy of aravier, kingdom of alésia, « næ

1/25/2018 6:01:48 PM #6

This sounds important and like a really good idea, i didn't know i wanted this until now.

1/25/2018 6:14:15 PM #7

I am definitely behind something like this.

/supported

Imgur

1/25/2018 6:36:40 PM #8

In Discord offtopic-tavern on 16 DEC 17:

"If you have time for another random software question, do you envision our scripts for offline characters being able to call out to external systems? For example, can I call out to log events such as each time someone enters my shop."

Caspian: "We will provide an API you can use. When you receive events, you can use any object or function in the API."

"The API is for my script to use?"

Caspian: "Yes."

"Could this API be used to develop third party software that monitors your character remotely? Say, ping your phone when you are attacked?"

Caspian: "No. But we will likely provide a separate web api for that."

"Sorry, just making sure I understood the answers there. There would be an api that an external system could call into in order to monitor the current state of your character (at discrete time intervals)?"

Caspian: "Sorry, im typing on my phone so my answers aren't as thorough. Opc scripts run on our servers. They subscribe to events they care about by registering handlers. When a handler is called, there is an object provided that you can use to query the environment for branching, as well as commands you can invoke to queue up opc actions. For example, you can be notified when you become tired, hungrey, bored, etc... when a task finishes, when someone approaches you.... Your scripts determine what your opc does in response to the event."

1/26/2018 2:33:37 PM #9

Protey, what Caspian talks about there is more like monitoring your OPC while being afk. For some players this will be a thing. But not everyone will want or be able to react at or take notice of this kind of messages from their OPC all the time.

For me, when I'm off, I'm off. That means I won't know what is going on in Elyria until I log in to play again. To continue my story in a logic and consistent way, I would need to look back into my NPC's memory to know what happened to him while I was away.

1/26/2018 5:50:50 PM #10

I would also be interested in a feature like this, something like a "While You Were Away" log when I sign on. I think it'd be useful, too, to gauge how effectively we programmed the OPC.

Friend Code: CB1D33

1/26/2018 8:01:56 PM #11

with opc we must have off time log. i support this option

Je suis un adventurier artisan, si vous voulez en savoir plus, vous n'avez qu'a me trouver!!!!!

1/26/2018 9:23:41 PM #12

Posted By Noryn at 06:33 AM - Fri Jan 26 2018

Protey, what Caspian talks about there is more like monitoring your OPC while being afk. For some players this will be a thing. But not everyone will want or be able to react at or take notice of this kind of messages from their OPC all the time.

For me, when I'm off, I'm off. That means I won't know what is going on in Elyria until I log in to play again. To continue my story in a logic and consistent way, I would need to look back into my NPC's memory to know what happened to him while I was away.

What is it about:

"When a handler is called, there is an object provided that you can use to query the environment for branching, as well as commands you can invoke to queue up opc actions. For example, you can be notified when you become tired, hungrey, bored, etc... when a task finishes, when someone approaches you.... "

that you fail to understand? If you are notified, you are notified... that means there will be a log/list of notifications.

1/26/2018 10:06:20 PM #13

Well done for pointing this out !

Just brainstorming a bit here,

I suppose it could take the format of a personal diary, for things like family business, gossip, weather reports, deaths, births, etc

Then maybe for shops a sales ledger for well, sales, deliveries, stock levels, spoiled food/drink/potions or ingredients ?

Farmers, would want weather details for crops, they would want to know what livestock had died and how, again stock levels.

Those that receive tax payments would need to know, what had been paid and by whom.

'Game over man,...game over.'

1/26/2018 10:28:23 PM #14

Posted By Mortality at 5:06 PM - Fri Jan 26 2018

Well done for pointing this out !

Just brainstorming a bit here,

I suppose it could take the format of a personal diary, for things like family business, gossip, weather reports, deaths, births, etc

Then maybe for shops a sales ledger for well, sales, deliveries, stock levels, spoiled food/drink/potions or ingredients ?

Farmers, would want weather details for crops, they would want to know what livestock had died and how, again stock levels.

Those that receive tax payments would need to know, what had been paid and by whom.

Love this idea. Since it's an OPC and not NPC I much prefer this to a simple gossip list.

Alt text - can be left blank

1/27/2018 9:36:06 AM #15

I do hope it will be possible to log images of the people with whom an OPC character interacted, especially those met for the first time.