COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
The Ship's Crew

This short story is an entry into the Dangers on the High Seas Lore Contest.

The Ship's Crew

The stranger sauntered down the road looking for some place to get some rest. Wearing torn cloths with a torn cloak of house colors of a place far away. A long beard that has grown ragged with age and miss kept with not one strand of hair even. His hair grey too, and equally as sloppy as his beard. With the looks of a man that has gone through hell. He walks with a limp with a grimace with every step. Step, pain. Step, pain. Rhythmic in his somber gaze towards his goal.

"What I wouldn’t give for a drink of fine whisky.” He said to himself. Several buildings up he seen the sign for an Inn that the lad desperately needed. Rest is his desire this evening. As he continues down the road he starts to hear faint music slowly growing louder as he approaches the inn called “The Wink.” He licks his lips taking in the sight that he may finally reach his goal. Some drink, and some rest.

The man approaches the door, about eight feet in height to accommodate any that would travel the coast. The Inn made of wood lit by lanterns fueled by candle light. The music is the typical music one would hear around the battle torn endless wars of the tropical battlefields.

The man opens the door to reveal a building full of vibrant energy. He looks at the band that is singing some propaganda of the rebels. The music created then has it’s claws sunken into the culture from a battle forty odd years ago. Typical place this is, most inns along the coast have a variety of visitors from many places with coastal access, that means there is a good amount of people that fled from the wars of old to get a new life.

The stranger limps towards the open seat in the crowded bar looking to have some well-deserved relief of his long day of travel. A few people in front of the band were dancing. Others are at the bar beside where he is about to sit. Some people are eating some of the fish that was just caught during the day along with taters and grits. He then takes his seat.

“A bottle of whisky please!” The stranger shouted. The barkeep looks his way and continues her business as if he misspoke. “Get me a god damn bottle of whisky!” he shouted even louder, the stranger eyes looked all bug-eyed. The young man approached him

“Ay man! You from around ‘ere, mate?” a young man with a scarred eye brow asked the stranger. “They ain’t got any whisky in ‘er.” He looks at the stranger’s torn cloak and tattered dress shirt. The stranger looks down confused with the young man’s accent. “You don’ got the language, an’ you don’t ‘ave the looks from around ere’.” The young man looks ready and eager to help the stranger. “I would be kind to translate for you’s if you give me a taste of gold” The accent was thick, and just understandable.

“Aye, I am not from here,” said the stranger. He hands the young man a small bullion of gold mark of another northern kingdom. “Here is the gold, please ask the bar keep for some damn strong liquor. If there is indeed no whisky.” He said with a frown.

“Get my mate a bottle of rum!” the young man said. “Scratch that get us two bottles of rum! We gon’ need it,” the man continued in the tropical language foreign to the stranger. Standing tall looking for attention to buy the drink. He is in some cheap clothing, little to no dye and with limited thick weave on the hems just enough to hold the clothing together. Like most others in the tavern. “What’s your name, my lad?” he asked the stranger.

“I am Marth, you would be?” The stranger asked in return. Raising his brow looking up to the broad chested young man.

“Darius, my friend.” The young’un replied. Looking ever higher as if it’s his pride.

The barkeep came around with two bottles of rum. She gestured for the coin that she’s due. Darius handed the gold he just earned to her. The barkeeps eyes widened as if she’s never seen such a mark on the coin before.

“Where did you acquire this coin, Darius?” she asked. Not haven seen this mint mark even once in her life. “This is a mark of a central kingdom.” Her eyes lower, in concern.

“This man, he’s payed me for my services.” He gestured to the stranger. Still speaking the foreign tongue. “He seems to have noble blood from the jungle” he suggested. “Look at the colors of his clothing,” saying as if proof was needed. “His name is Marth,” at least that’s what he te-.”

“What are you saying to her? You are supposed to be my translator!” Marth demanded the answer. Looking concerned with seeing the eyes of nervousness of the barkeep. The barkeep walks away to get the bottles of rum. “What were you telling the barkeep?”

“I was suggesting you may be of noble blood. Are you not?” Darius questions Marth. Looking him up and down. His eyes look as if he was reading Marth like an open book.

“I am not noble blood, never have been,” Marth stated. “If I was of nobility. Would my cloths be torn ragged?” As if the accusation was one that was horrible. He seemed to think that if he was a noble he would be in grave danger. “Hell would I even be here in the south if I have land to command?” He questioned Darius.

“Ah, never mind that. What brings you ‘ere?” Darius asked.

“I, well, I arrived here for some rest,” said Marth. Looking at Darius. Hoping that answer was sufficient.

“You’ve a limp, an’ you’ve looked like you’ve miles on your boots,” Darius responded. “I’ve only asked because your presence may make me a target of the targeted. Nothin’ more, nothin’ less.” Looks of great concern embrace them. They both worry each other. That would likely be the case.

“And you seem to have a relationship with the barkeep, you a local?” Marth attempted to dodge the Idea that may form a target on his back within the new place. Darius eyes began to waver. The attempt seemed to be fruitless. “Why would I be a target? Why would me be a threat to you? I am an old man!” he raised his voice as continued.

“Careful old man, loud words bring attention that one doesn’t need or want.” Darius said. “At least the attention I don’t want. I would think what I don’t want, you don’t want.” That seemed simple to Darius. “You’ve the look of a man that can fight,” Darius said, “Or have been in a fight recently.”

The barkeep placed the rum on the table, along with the change for the gold coin nineteen pieces of silver and fifty pieces copper. “Here you are, gentlemen, your two bottles of rum.” The barkeep stated.

“Thank you,” Marth stated. He pulls the dagger out and begins cutting at the wax seal of the bottle, revealing the hidden wire that was under the wax. He then grabs the wire that wraps around the cork and opens the bottle of rum. The smell of the rum is fresh, with the light scent of the rose oil this region is known for. The man takes a drink of rum. “So fucking good,” he said.

“I am pleased you like it,” said the barkeep, it’s locally made here. Noticing the guests smile, she hopes she assumed correctly.

“She said, I am pleased that you like it,” Darius clarified for the barkeep and Marth. Before he could even ask about what the barkeep said.

“Oh, I do.” He smiled. “Finally, I am able to get some rest and able to finally relax.” Looking around finally feeling at least like a piece of home is here. Gulps some of the rum from the bottle. Marth is in some profound delight of this moment of peace.

“That tis be true,” Darius confirmed.

“Right.” Said Marth

“Your pouch of coin could be larger couldn’t it?” asked Darius, “We’ve a job, and it looks promising.” Looking up and down the man called Marth that is just passed his prime. “I think you’d be a fine addition to our business.”

“Ah, yes, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt for it to weigh more,” said Marth. Looking directly at Darius’ eyes. The eyes of the man looked honest. “Sure, it wouldn’t hurt.” Hoping he didn’t sign up for anything wrong. As he repeated to confirm that he would like to meet the chap’s mates.

“Come, meet me mates” Darius requested. “There should even be a bit of an opportunity for ya’ in it.” Looking towards his friends that sat at one of the tables that is farthest from the band that is playing the southern battle music.

“Aye,” he said, as he gets up a twinge of pain entered his leg and up his spine he grabbed his back in minor agony and took a gulp of the spiced rum, in hopes that it would relieve his pain.

“There be nothing’ for you to lose,” Darius said as he smiled. “Come, the night is still young.” He stands along with, much more spry and ready for action than that of the older man that he just met.

The two walked to the friends of Darius, in the far side of the tavern. As he made his way, a few people stared at the two. Taking in the scene, and the smell of fresh bread and cigar smoke as they approached the table. There are some other things laid out too. A map is on the table, and some notes about what they need to do.

Coming into focus was a man with a long grey beard and a balding head of hair. The man has a cigar in his mouth. Next to him going clockwise was a girl that has an eyepatch. And on the other side of the table there was two people that look like they are brothers. Both with the same length beard. Both look to have seen combat a few times. They both have scars on their face proving that they’ve been on the losing side before. The bunch dress like they have very little money, all their clothing hasn’t even the slightest hint of dye, most are just a touch higher quality than burlap cloth that is for shipping. They would be twins.

“Well, well, well, “ said the man with a long grey beard. “Who might we have the honor of meeting this fine evening” he said in the common tongue. He speaks for the group, he is the leader at least that’s what he’d say if you’d ask him. He postures himself as such.

“This is Marth, “ Darius explained. “He is ne- “

“I am Marth, I have come a long way, used to live in the central kingdom of Alesia” He explained “Sorry for cutting you off, lad.” He takes a swell of rum, then looks for an open seat and plops himself down with a gasp of relief.

“No problem,” said Darius. He takes a seat, looking content with himself.

“The guy in with the long grey beard’s nick name is well Grey Beard. The two men to my left is Poe and Hue. And the girl to my right is Amanda.” He looked rather accomplished for introducing them. Marth taking in the information that was presented.

“How is it going, looks like you all are planning something.” Marth asked. “What might that be?” he inquired. The map of the seven islands are off the coast of the grand continent.

“He’s diving in.” Grey Beard said. “Don’t they teach ye what’s good for ye?” Wondering why the stranger is asking these questions, sensitive they might be. How does this man have the gall? Grey Beard looks to have thought.

“My bad,” Marth explained, “Isn’t it only natural to ask these sorts of questions?”

“Not if you want to keep your head about yourself,” said Grey Beard. “Now son, do you want in? or do you want to leave the table?” Even though their ages are similar, he is still using the son to posture his superiority in the situation.

“Fine, first what’s in it for me if I’d stay?” Marth asked. Looking at the map with some marks and movable figures to display things. Looks like they have a plan to sack a trade ship. As more time passes the clearer it’d become, if he takes his leave he may lose his lovely throat.

“You’d get a sixth of the plunder,” Grey Beard stated.

“What may be the projected loot?” Marth questioned.

“Now boys aren’t we supposed to be having fun this night?” Amanda said, “It’s always about the business with you” she gets closer to Marth with the smell of lavender. Putting her hand onto his lap rather close to his sensitive bits. “This man wants to have fun. Isn’t that right… and your name is”

He lets out a sigh and coughed a bit “Ye-yes I want to have fun.” He said. Not knowing what he exactly is getting himself into. But this girl is getting to him. “My name is Marth.”

“See, Marth wants to have fun. Now let’s see, these boys want to board a ship, and possibly take it over.” There is excellent value in that. A ship alone is worth ten large. And what ever else they’re trading is just sugar on top. So, he’d roughly get two large for his share if he goes along with it.

“That sounds interesting,” Marth said hastily as he feels the beautiful red haired fair skinned woman’s hand getting closer to his cock. She then kisses him on the cheek. “I’m in.”

The girl gets close to Marth’s ear and whispered, “Come to my room, after everyone else goes to sleep. I’ll make it worth your time” Marth nods, and then smiles. Looking her in deep green eyes.

“So, you’ve decided to join us?” asked Grey Beard. “This won’t be easy, but it’ll be worth it!”

“Aye,” said Martin while smiling. Taking another drink of rum. “So, what did I get myself into?” Knowing full well he agreed with very little information.

“What we have planned,” Grey Beard explains, “is,” Coughs, “that we have intel that there is a ship moving some good loot. We intend to sack the ship, and even maybe take it for our own.” He smiles and looks up as if the lords are smiling at him. “Well to be concise we will have to be in a more secure location with less ears that are in play,” he continued. “Come follow, we must bring this map, to the room!”

They each get up to move to a more secluded location, the twins followed Grey Beard behind closely. And very attentive to what their leader commands, they are a silent bunch. He leads the group to some steps going up to be the lodging is located. Darius gets up and follows, looks at Marth and the girl then grabs Marth by his hands and leads him to the room they’ve decided to stay.

“Hold up, I’ve need to pay for my room,” said Marth, “Come, Darius.”

“O.K.” Darius responded. Kind of looking disappointed that this interrupted the flow, “Why did we forget to buy a room earlier, dammit” he finished.

“Be quick now, “ Grey Beard said, “We’ve got plans to make!” He then continues up the stairs to his room. The Amanda and the the twins follow him.

“You heard ‘em,” said marth, “Let’s get to it, lets get a nice room for me. How much would that be?” he then asked. With a wince in pain as he approached the barkeep that also sold rooms for the night.

“It’d be 1 silver for the night,” Darius stated. “Don’t worry about the cost, I’ve got it handled.” The cost of the room was just 1 silver, there are twenty pieces of silver in one piece of gold. It’s the least he could do when he was handed so much money. It seemed that he didn’t value his job of being a translator very highly even though it made Marth’s night.

“Why thank you, you don’t value your services at one gold?” Marth said with a smile, “I don’t think that you would have lied to me when you’ve asked for gold.” In jest but half way serious.

“Nah, mate,” said Darius, “Asking for gold is just a saying, you didn’t even barter, and you gave me quite a bit of wealth for what lil’ I am doin’ for ya. It’s the least I can do, now that we would be brothers in arms.”

“Thank you very much again my friend,” said Marth

As Darius approached the barkeep and asked for the room Marth watched in anticipation. The two exchanged a few words he placed the silver on the table, he was handed the keys to the room. Much better than Marth yelling unintelligible things to the barkeep for a room and this was much easier he believed.

The alcohol is finally getting to Marth, his pain began dwindling a little bit. He let out a sigh of relief that he wouldn’t have to go another night thirsty. He took another drink of his rum the bottle is about a third gone.

The music is starting to play slower and be more melodic, the war born music isn’t what is playing anymore, it’s transitioned to ballads and other folk songs of being with friends. The tune is welcoming and enjoyable to the crowed. Couples are dancing together, and some are even kissing to the slow dance music. Couples are all that seemed to be left the rowdy crowed of earlier seemed to simmer down somewhat. And the crowed has thinned as well.

“Alright, all payed for,” Darius said, “Let us get a move on to the room ware our mates are waiting for us.” Darius tossed Marth the keys and made his way to the steps. He took a drink of his rum too and his was only about a fifth of the bottle was gone in his compared to Marth’s bottle.

“Just about there I’ve need to water some weeds,” He goes outside and with a feint limp that still exists. As he approached the door, some guards came in and were looking for some people in a dialect and words that didn’t make sense to Marth. He waked passed. Not knowing what was said.

“Hurry up boy, we must get to our room,” Darius was in a rush to get on with the business at hand. He seemed to wish these trivial things could wait. He was also ignoring the guards as if they were unimportant. Though they seem to think they are all that matters in the night. Sooner or later those guards will understand how little power in the grand scheme of things they have.

The guards shouted, “has anyone seen the dead looking person that worked for the poison maker?” No one raised their hand some were looking at the guards just out of respect. “Poison has gone missing and we must know the ware a bout of the guy. We suspect it could be him that stole the poison from the shop. These controlled su---”

Marth comes back in and meets with Darius at the bottom of the steps passing by the guards ignoring everything they’ve said. It’s unimportant to him he’s dallied long enough to the point that it’s getting rather boring hearing the guards. Time is now of the essence, at least it seemed that way to Marth. The two walked up the steps. Just about missed the third step and nearly face planted. Marth caught himself at least.

“Liquor is getting to you, Mate, slow down a little,” said Darius, “Look at who’s present, we must not have those guards focus on us.” The music stopped as the guards keep shouting about the poison that vanished. Marth and Darius make their way up the steps to the room.

At the top of the stairs the twins are waiting for them, to show them the way to the room. They gestured to follow, still not a word spoken. They followed the two to Grey Beard’s room.

It was at the far end of the hall the only suite that was there for grabs and of course Grey Beard bought it. As they walked down the hall Darius pointed at his room. It was the door to the right of the suite.

They entered, the room now is the place that smells of cigar smoke, and the table that was in the center has the map laid out and a figure of their boat against their targets boat in the dock that they are right next to. A quill and ink for marking their plans and how things would go down tomorrow morning.

“Thanks for joining with us Marth.” Greybeard overjoyed to have another helping hand in this. “Please take a seat, just as the rest of you all, take a seat lets go over the plans.”

“Yes, let’s get this over with,” said Amanda, impatiently. Amanda throws a knife at a poster of a man that we don’t know, it hits right in the center between the eyes just above. “My time, is wasted as he gets away farther and farther.” She throws a second knife it hits the first almost dead on and bounces down to the ground with a bang. The other knife then tipped and fell to the ground as well leaving some wood chips showing through the torn paper.

“Patience is what you need, my lady,” said Darius, “We will get to that when the time is right, right now the time is dwindling to get money to fund your search for your ex-husband. I know you’ve lost a lot. Dwelling on that doesn’t make the poster become him and you’ll get your much-needed relief soon enough please, listen.” Darius hands her the rum, she seems to need it at this moment more than he does.

“Thank you, Darius!” said Grey Beard, “Lady Amanda, the lords will grace us with his presence I assure you.” Amanda takes a drink of the rum and just nearly couldn’t swallow it. “When that time comes you can do what needs to be done, but first we need to focus on our job at hand.”

“We’ve got this job from the local bailiff, although it’s off the record and not actually one he wanted done.” Grey Beard began to explain. “He knows we have a boat that can help support this ship in their trade, of course we refused. Well I refused to help the established class to gain more power by making this trade go through.”

“So, what we have here is a bogey, and this bogey will have loads of valuable goods aboard. We are to take this and the ship, hopefully, if all things go well we will be as rich as the nearest lords with all the combined wealth. We could be able to live off the wealth for a very long time!” Grey Beard said, “We need to wake up just before dawn to get things ready, I have some power in play we’ve acquired a vessel that we can command, and a roughly forty other’s that I Have personally hired. We split what is on the ship in to equal parts among us here, and I get the ship and a sixth of the value.”

“All things total with a net value of two-thousand gold pieces a piece here, and we will then have a second ship and this one will be likely a better cargo vessel than ours. Ours has cannons, they’ve got cargo and less cannons, we’ve also the people, they’ve got many merchants and less people if my sources are to be true” Continued Grey Beard.

Realizing that he mentioned the firepower and may have spoken to soon, looking at Marth and his greenness “Although I would hope to not have to use our cannons and sink the ship, what use is a ship that is suck with all the cargo, this isn’t war, this is a ship we aim to take, but worse comes to worse we will use the cannons, which we have more than our bogey. In time you learn of the piracy ways, Marth”

Pointing at the map and showing the planned route that the ship would take, “If we follow this they would be here about an hour after sunrise. They are to set sail in the morning. We will wait there pointing at a sand bar that is about 50 knots out, and take them by surprise, they may think we are a fishing vessel before they notice we are a combat ready vessel they would be already to close, and we make our way to them. Any questions?” Asked Grey Beard after he finished with is plan.

“You said the bailiff was to get support for the trade vessel? How do you know he wasn’t successful?” Asked Marth, thinking that the bailiff would already be set and ready with enough ships to support this large trade.

“Well you see, Marth,” said Darius, “He’s dead”

“Wouldn’t people still know that the trade is happening, and others would need to help support the trade?” Marth continues to ask, thinking that there is some hole some ware in the plan that they’ve not considered. “How can you be so sure?” He asked another question.

I’ve killed him personally, I poisoned his food, and fucked him,” Amanda stated for a matter of fact. “I am the one that acquired the map that has the path for the trade route, that positioned me for success.” She looked at her blade and through it between the legs of Marth, “any more questions?” She isn’t bemused with all the information that was just said. “Are you with us? Or against us?”

“I am totally with you guys. You have a nice plan I admit I am out of the loop, that may be for the best,” said Marth. “How do you wish to board the ship?”

“Ah, yes, we have the blueprint of the ship here, only one side has cannons, this is a cargo vessel we expect to be on the starboard side, were the cannons aren’t that way they would have to turn to the port side to even have a chance to fire at us. Who ever created this ship wasn’t thinking.” Grey Beard explained.

“This all sounds too good to be true,” said Darius, “What makes you think this weakness is real?” Darius is now asking questions. And the scowl of Amanda was piercing. He noticed. “What, you’d expect me to keep quiet?” Darius brushed off his shirt and took in the vexed state Amanda is in and took a step back.

Amanda pulls her blade and thrusts it towards his heart. “No, I expect you to trust our sources and what Grey Beard says, it’s to be expected as true! This isn’t a trap I assure you, all the work that went into protecting and getting this information was challenging enough. Now you ask questions. Undermining all the work we’ve done. You’d think you’d understand that we’ve been acting on the previous plan for the last fort night, you think we’d make this careless mistake of acquiring the false blueprint of the boat?” Crimson seeped out from the blades point, staining the shirt by his heart red. “You aren’t new to this, and less said the better, because there could be people listening that shouldn’t” she gazed towards the door.

“As Amanda said, we’ve been doing this together long enough that we’ve gone accustomed to vetting our sources.” Grey Beard looked at Amanda after looking at Darius, “If you would be so kind, my lady, please sheath your blade, we must not have to clean another one of ours of the floor because of your perceived disrespect. His question is true and right, there are many questions and doubts leading on this mission. We need the people, we only have so much coin to clean up our mess.”

Amanda pulled the blade back, licked the tip of it then sheathed it and it went back in concealment as fast as it came for the heart of Darius. A sigh of relief the whole room felt looking at Darius’ expression when it turned to laughter. “My lady, how come you grown so violent?” said Darius barely able to hold together his sanity. No one seemed to notice the blade nearly pierced the girl’s liver. He sheaths his own blade. They were so close, and the slight of hand was barely even noticeable. They’ve nearly killed each other.

“Does this all sound good?” Grey beard asked. “Say aye, if you are happy with the plan.”

Confirmation filled the room with Ayes, and the little noise that the twins could make also filled the room with their agreement. They all sat down and relaxed for a bit. Marth took another drink of his rum. And sighed with relief and a bit of confusion about how violent the party he found himself in are.

“Why can’t the twins speak?” asked Marth. They can make audible noises, but they can’t speak he noticed when the two of them said aye for agreement.

“Punishment,” Amanda said, “My Ex-husband punished them for asking to many questions. They’ve their tongues cut out. He is a ruthless lord, he thought they were spouting some treasonous intent, he cut out their tongue to never speak ill again of their lord,” She continued, “They hope to seek revenge just as I do for what my ex-husband has done.”

Amanda approached Marth and sat on his lap, “Why don’t we go into your room, so we can get to know each other better? You must not have forgot what I asked down stairs.” Darius coughed and looked away. Knowing anything he says could have him gutted in the future for saying so.

“Alright, Amanda, lets go,” said Marth. They’ve gone out the door holding hands lead by Marth with his limp nearly gone.

“Get some rest, we need it for tomorrows journey” Grey Beard said. “Don’t stay up to late you two.” Darius and the two men left the room right after Marth and Amanda left for theirs. “I’ll wake you all up in the morning before we should depart and get people on the boat and moving.”

Amanda and marth opened the dor into Marth’s room.The candle light was just bright enough to see what was going on, there was a chest and a table right under the window, the bed was to the left. and some book shelves with titles related to the gods. Amanda takes the initiative to sit in the bead waiting for Marth to join her. She takes a drink of Darius’ rum, forgot to give it back to him. She rolls her eyes as she remembers when she got the rum. Marth joins her on the bed.

“Why do they call you my lady?” Marth questioned. Thinking it was odd of them calling her that.

“Because I am the rightful countess of Winterun to the north,” She explained. “After they’ve learned about the story and the divorce of my husband, they’ve called me that ever sense.”

“I see,” he said. “The contract writer screwed you out of your titles. When you got divorced?”

“Something like that.” She begins to take off her clothing. First her leather jerkin revealing her fit figure. “It’s now my turn to ask the questions. Have you been with a northerner?”

“yes, I’ve laid with a northerner before.”

“So, then you don’t need to be taught the ways. That’s good.” She pulls down his pants to reveal his prick. Rubs it a little bit. She takes off her top and reveals the pale chest of a northern red-head. Marth reaches out and grabs one of her supple breasts. She backs away and lowered her own pants. What he sees doesn’t disappoint a fit woman wanting to fuck, what more can a guy want he must have thought.

He gets back up and stands up, and takes his clothes off just as she did, placing his blades close to the bed for ease of access. He revealed that he has the stripes of the Janoa, Amanda smiled looking at his body. Marth was thinking that he scored an awesome deal, and this would be a cherry on top of everything. He is now in the nude, the same as she was.

They then began to kiss each other, in various spots, he gets on his knees and positions her towards the bed. Licks her and she begins to moan with the feeling of his tongue against her flesh. She grabs his hair and pulls ever so gently yet firmly. Attempting to control where his tongue is going. With what little control she felt even better.

They changed positions he is now on the bed. He’s now on the bottom and she is on the top seizing the control she desperately wanted. She inserts his prick faster and slower, they both were one. They then finished and were about to go to bed.

“Where are you from?” she asked.

“I am from the north in, Apostevend. Not as far north as you you’ve come a great deal farther than I have” He explained. Looking in her eyes, they kiss. Even though this is superficial they both would want someone they can both be next to and they both know it, even if temporary.

“So, those cloths,” she points at the torn cloths with house colors “Are your family’s coat of arms?”

“Yes, they are a coat of arms, my family’s no.” he begins to answer, “This is the clothing that the lord issued the military to have.”

“So, you are a deserter?” she asked. She wonders what brings him this far south and is willing to risk his life for a couple large.

“Well you see, not exactly,” Marth responded, “I am no deserter, I am still my lord’s vassal.”

“You are?” she asked, wondering still why he was down here. “So, what brings you down to this insignificant port town?”

“I’ve had business I had to tend with earlier,” he refused to answer. “I am not able to tell you exactly what this business is, however I will say both our interests align.”

“Can I trust you?” She asked.

“Yes, yes you can.” He stated. They finally got comfortable and went to sleep. To be ready for the long day ahead for them.

“Get up damn it, it’s time to go. Our men are waiting, and it’s time to get the ball rolling. We have about ten minutes till we leave.” Knocking on the door, loudly whilst he said, “Get the fuck up.” Beds began to creek as they woke up from the surprise they mustn’t have slept for more than three hours. They are all meeting down stairs.

Both Amanda and Marth got dressed rather quickly. They had been ordered after all, and they agreed to the plan. It’s still night but the sun is only gleaming over the horizon of the ocean. It was dawn just like planned, they’ve got to be at their vessel before long or they’d miss their opportunity that the group has planned for so long.

Amanda was the first to be ready she left and said, “I’m counting on you.” As she opened the door and passed through it.

“aye, my lady, I’ll be down in 3 shakes,” Marth stated and smiled while saying, “I’m counting on you too, we need to see this through.” As he buttons his upper torn sir coat. he makes his way through the door, and down the stairs, His limp is now gone after his short sleep. Good sign he smiled to himself again.

Walking to were they were to meet by the place they’ve began the night, a guy takes his leave with saying “I’ll be waiting, and ready” The man is in full armor the best that the mercenary groups of the south can have, they are ready for battle, if the guy is to be matched with the rest of the mercenaries Grey Beard hired.

“Alright guys, let us make our way to the dock. There is no time to waste. Get there.” Grey Beard commanded. “Let’s move out” His former military training is seeping through the cracks of his demeanor.

They went through the tavern door one at a time, trying to do so smoothly, Marth noticed that Darius wasn’t present in the morning. He wondered were he was, he was the one after all that got him into this deal. “Where is Darius?” Marth asked.

“He is at the ship getting things in order,” Grey Beard said, “there is no reason to be curious, we have many moving cogs at this moment. The less questions the better.”

“So, I’ve been told” Marth said. Looking onward towards the dock the boat is stationed on. Hoping for a good outcome, he then smiled, he knew he had one of the best nights he’s had in a long time. “Now talk is cheap this is going to be challenging work.” He told himself, as he was preparing himself mentally to what is about to unfold.

Amanda came by him and made sure that he noticed. He looked at her ass and tried to slap it. Although it was too late by the time he realized she was in a jog to where the boat was tied down at. She looked back and smiled at Marth and continued ahead. “Where did the lady, learn to fight like she does?” he asked himself. Another few minutes passed as they walked hastily to the dock.

They arrived, some men were already aboard the ship, Darius waved. “All aboard.” Darius exclaimed, readying the men to board the ship. About fifty men strong in total some are ruthless looking some spent most of their coin on the best armor and gear. The men began to move into the ship in a column three across, they know how to efficiently get things done.

Marth was the last one on the frigate class ship, there is enough room for a crew of thirty people, the boat they are trying to take has enough room for forty people. There is a large room for the captain to issue and look at maps towards the aft of the boat. There are three masts of sales and in the center, there is a crow’s nest, watching Amanda climb to the top by the rope ladders he tried to wave, Amanda didn’t notice.

He turned to greybeard with the twins close by they are now armed and have some very expensive looking armor, they have symbols of places on the chest of places far away. He followed them to the captain’s cabin.

They walked up around ten steps of wood creaking, enough to drive even the sane mad, thinking that one step could be the one that breaks the stair. The boat is also moving back and forth from the waves that’ve picked up that doesn’t help matters. The captain opened the door to his quarters. Everything still faintly lit that dawn was turning into morning the lanterns of whale oil lit their way now.

“What am I to do captain?” asked Marth, looking like he is a sore thumb, “What should I do to earn my keep?” Looking around there isn’t much reaction.

Grey Beard took his seat by the captain’s desk and placed the map down. Getting his things ready for him to analyze the plan again thinking deeply. Not noticing what was just asked of him. He placed his boat at the dock and waited. He began to write in the journal he kept, things that may be of value to him, or some one in the future. He looked at his notebook and paged through it, to see if there is something he is missing that he has planned.

He looked up and said, “well we need to first test your metal. See what you have that can be of use, don’t you fight?” He questioned Marth, well he was paying attention after all. Grey Beard tuned to a page that he can write and wrote a single word. “Now to see if you can fight, lets see what you have against the twins.”

“Sir, you mean these two?” asked Marth. Looking at the two they seem much harder than before quite large of size, though he didn’t frown he smiled. He unsheathed his sword slowly.

“Not in here, but on the deck” he said, “We will need to have an audience for the fight.” He finished what he was writing and closed the notebook, that was faintly bound by leather. He gets up and opens the door, “without much time we need to see this first hand. Come, let us have one last hurrah, before we fight for real of enemies untold.”

Marth, and the twins follow. Down the creaking old steps. and down on the top deck of the boat, he forgot to sheath his sword just noticing that. Alas, what more can happen that wasn’t by chance?

“Gather round, we are to see how green this man is in combat” Grey Beard stated. “This is likely to be the last bit of fun we can have before we are signaled to go to the place we need to wait for our bogey. Let us make the most of it men, any takers on the twins?” he continues, Marth noticed he is fighting both of the twins. “Now things could get interesting who takes this central man for the winner of the bout? Give the money to me and I will hold it, I will follow who will get what and what the odds are. Come on gather boys, this is our last bit of respite while we wait for the signal to move out.”

The crowed gained and then surrounded the three surrounded the three. Surrounded at all sides, this is how he is to show what he is all about. Marth smiled, the twins scowled, they seem to not believe this is happening.

“The Older gentleman is smiling; can we get any more takers for the Janoan man, called Marth.” Grey Beard is right at home, he’s seen this act before. He knows what can happen, he knows what he hopes will happen. A few more gave some gold and silver, “The Odds are 4:1, there is something to be said, you lot only give this man a fifth chance of winning?” A few more coins came his way, “Any more takers of the two against one, silver for the twins?” Most people came at that point and through down some coin” Alright the final odds are favoring the twins, at 6:1, if you bet on Marth you’d possibly make six times more coin if he wins. Three, Two, One,” a few came right as one was said, gave silver to greybeard for Marth

“it’s worth the chance. Probably” The mercenaries said, he looks like with old age. He almost looks younger because of the prospect of battle. His head barely hurt from last night. The scrappiness of his soul began to shine through onto the crowed. He did a pirouette with his blade in hand and the crowed cheered. He took of his sir coat and shirt, showing the stripes that the Janoa are known for.

The twins frowned and pulled their axes from their side and picked up a shield, they were ready, but not wanting to fight the man they just met. They couldn’t say no. Marth was too busy to pick up on their dissatisfaction. The bashed their axe on the shield flat against flat, the crowed became enamored with what was going on.

“thee, two, one, go!” exclaimed greybeard. He is excited to show off what he knows about Janoan fighters.

The twins attacked in unison, one swinging from the left the other to the right, Marth ducked and dodged both swings of the larger men. He continued with the momentum he gained, and leg swiped one of them and it fell.

He dropped the sword in his right and then he extended his left arm upwards catch the return swing of the axe of the Brudvir that was still standing to help him regain his stance, while he grabbed onto the axe, He wrapped his leg around the twin’s leg, and knocked him to the ground while simultaneously disarming the Brudvir.

They both on the ground one was trying to get up and made a couple false swipes one towards the hunkered down Brudvir’s neck, that is trying to get up and the other resting against the open throat of the one freshly laid out one. He is the clear victor of the combat.

The combat didn’t last more than a few seconds, and Marth was just out of breath. He bowed to the crowed. Smiling, remembering his training from back home, the endless tournaments that he won, and the myriad of trophies that he gained from hunting in the wilds.

The men that bet for the aged man’s success lined up for the payout. They all got what they came fore a day of plunder, and that is what they got. At least for those that bet on the right man, not men. Marth smiled even more brightly. Proud of himself and his display.

“You see, I bet on the right man, I knew you could fight,” said Grey Beard. “Now for the real issue that is at hand. The successful capture of the cargo boat.”

A light in the distance was lit, and Amanda seen it, she wasn’t paying attention to who was fighting below, she had a duty at her post and that was to keep an eye out for the signal. She then lit her torch to signal the crew below that it was time.

They’ve released the boat into the open waves. They slowly are pushed out by the wind. They released the sales two at a time, the center first, keeping some still up while the crew affixed the control of the boat, the captain is already in position ready to control the boat and show what it offers. More sails are loosed. And the crew positioned them in such a way to catch the wind right, they backed into a three-point turn, only to turn slowly and capture the westbound wind correctly, they are pulled closer and closer to their position, they finally released all the sails that the boat has and now are going about 14 knots.

They reached the point that they’d be waiting, it’s past sun rise, and the other cargo vessel should be just about within eyesight. The crew is relaxed waiting some are by the cannons loading them just in case they need them to protect the boat. Each one is just about loaded. The next order of business, is to wait for the new signal, that the boat is within sight of the crow’s nest. Amada is there waiting and relaxed.

A boat just on the horizon is coming into her focus. Approaching closer and closer, Amanda let her signal be heard. The crew became attentive and waited for the orders that Grey Beard would command.

“Wait, hold on,” he Grey Beard said, “he takes out his monocular to get a better view of what is on the distance” He recognized the boat. As it came closer still, he noticed that is god damn true, cannons are on one side but not the other, rather odd of a weakness but it’s true. Thank god for that

“Pull the anchors! That mother fucking bitch is ours!” Grey Beard said in excitement.

“Heave, heave, heave,” you hear the men that tends the anchors on both sides with a wench that is powered by men. That’s laid on it’s side ready men going in circles as the men’s boats are being pulled up wrapping the rope around the spindle that is much larger than what should be necessary. Sometimes they need to anchor in deep waters, not this shallow like the sandbar.

“Get the anchors raised you slow bastards!” shouted Grey Beard. “fortune favors us, they are coming closer still.” He pulls at his grey beard that is hard to keep straight because of the wind. “We’ve our quarry and we’ve got our health.” Let’s the crew released the sails to let the boat get up to speed.

“Lord willing, can we catch that boat?” He asked, and no answer returned. Why would it, the lords never say anything.

The frigate got to speed, and they are now after their quarry, they make sure they stay close to the port side away from the cannons as they make their approach.

“Get the harpoons ready lads, we will be needing them to board, and get the cross walk ready. We will need that too” Grey Beard said. They are gaining on the cargo boat as they hurried, not much longer now.

The men readied the harpoons, and sat waiting for the proper position before firing, they are about five hundred meters now from the aft of the boat, continuing their approach. They are gaining on them. Good sign’s

“Men, are you ready for a fight?” Grey Beard said, “We will show them no remorse, we need to get them off the boat and into the water. Those that will fight, need to be slain, the others, are at god’s mercy. They must walk the plank.” Knowing full well they can’t keep the people that is on that boat around or they’ll tell people who did it.

“Aye, yay captain” the crew said.

“I can’t hear you!” said Grey Beard.

“Aye, captain!” the crew shouted louder. He was satisfied with the response,

They got into the line they needed to be in to fire the harpoons. The lords did answer his call they did let them catch the boat. They are 10 meters form the boat now, “Ready?” a short pause “Fire the harpoons!”

A loud thwack, arrows are flying to the men that fired the harpoons, one was hit, and the other’s missed their mark. A few fighting men were aboard the vessel, not many have prepared to fight.

“Lower the boardwalk men!” Grey Beard said. Bang! The loud noise the board made as it hit the top of the cargo ship. Some men appearing before them and surrender. Not knowing what was going on, they weren’t prepared. Some others were attempting to knock the arrows, but spears landed and hit them were it counts. They were incapacitated. Walking towards the ship lead by Amanda, and Marth, they’ve been ordered to kill all that were alive, and Darius wasn’t far behind leading the rear for the men to board the ship, making sure things were all in order.

The blood poured from the throats of the trades men, their shouts were deafening only they couldn’t be heard for any help to arrive. One by one, Amanda and Marth were at a contest to se who can poor more blood. The sheiks of each men became more and more pronounced the farther into the boat they got.

“The women too, they’ve need to not be able to tell a soul.” Grey Beard smiled “Throw those overboard,” he said while pointing, “leave the captain alive.” He shouldn’t be too far now.

Marth, heard the order and looked around for the captain, he hears the creaking of a rope being released from the side of the boat, “Hurry to the Life boats!” he dashes to what he seen. A nicely dressed person ready to leave his crew as they’ve been boarded. “It’s the captain, he is ready to desert his people!” he shouted.

He got to position grabbed the rope that was about to release the what he perceives as a captain. He hurried and pulled the man back into the boat, grabbed some of his own rope that he has and bound the rich man up and tied him to the hand rails of the boat. Back to business he thought.

Then a large man appeared before him holding a sword out, and said get down, he shook his head, reached out his sword with a long thrust and then barely missed drew some blood on the Adam’s apple of the large brute of a man.

The large man reared back, and caught his stature, and then swing his sword downward, Marth then guarded the attack with his blade, repost his ear came off almost avoided the contact of Marth’s blade on his face. Blood spattered against the boats hand rails, the man lost balance and as he tried to regain stature, his throat was slit, nearly severing the whole head from the body.

The large man died nearly instantly at that point fell to the ground and the blood seeped out his neck. Marth smiled and bowed towards the richer man’s eyes.

The bulk of the battle was finished, they’ve only need to throw the bodies overboard for the crows and sharks to eat. Marth killed over 10 of them himself barely leaving any for the rest of the crew to enjoy for themselves.

The final man just came into sight, he then dashed, to the guy, slid under him, as the sword the man thrusted was pushed aside from his own sword and he took the feet out from under the guy. While the man was still in the air, Marth cut the man’s head clean off. Blood showered over him, and that was that. The boat is now taken. Most of the crew watching as Marth displayed his prowess.

Getting to his feet the limp returned, and he winced from the pain and grabbed his hip and found a place to sit. He began to pray to his god with all fingers extended and palms together, a man like that couldn’t possibly have a normal god.

The last man, Marth intentionally kept alive for questioning, at bequest of Grey Beard, was scared out of his wits. Water formed at his seat, and only a slight scratch of blood came to him.

Grey Beard came forward and asked the guy, “How would you like to die? Contemplate that first.” He forgot to even ask, “Who was the captain of this ship, it was you, was it not?” The man kept silent and began to weep knowing full well that his time has come. “All you can do is cry, you’ve lost everything! I mean everything. Now how would you like to die?”

“I-I don’t want to die,” The man said while sobbing. “I really don’t want to die, please let me live.”

“Only under one condition, void your previous contract with whom ever you’ve willed your titles to, and sign them over to Amanda.” Grey Beard said. “I don’t give two shits about reincarnation, fucking sign this contract, you little cunt.”

Amanda and the twins came out of the crowed reveling themselves to the man. He began to cry even harder. Knowing full well that was his ex-wife that he fucked over. All he can do is show that he regretted everything. Thinking he could offer an apology for what has happened.

“Sorry!” The man said, “I am so sorry, you’ve done this? Why’d you do this.” He said in his own language, none of these words made a damn lick of sense to Marth.

Amanda refused to answer the question, and only said, “sign the fucking contract!” Tears began to flow from Amanda’s eyes, knowing this is the last time she’ll be able to see her husband in one piece. She kneels and unrolls the scroll. “Sign here, you little cunt.”

“No,” he said sobbing thinking death and his reincarnation would be better. “I will not sign, I will want to live a happy new life when I reincarnate as one of my sons.” He smiled as he thought this would be the final straw and he’d be slain.

“The man thinks he’d be able to get away with it, fucking over our dearest Amanda,” said Grey Beard. “Death, what is death?” Grey beard stated, his eyes began to glow crimson, “Is it not the beginning lads?”

“Aye, captain,” the crew responded in unison.

“Yes, mates! Death, is only the beginning!” Grey Beard shouts. “We will torture you before you are allowed the sweet relief of death. The sweet agony, the sweet, taste of agony is all you must look forward to until you sign the void the past contracts, and you sign over your new contract with Amanda, giving her the countess title.”

“Sir,” said Marth, “I forgot my rum, can we hurry this along?” Looking around noticing Amanda was crying, “Wait, I’ll find some, they best have some wine, or whisky here.” Grey Beard looks towards Marth and frowns.

“Do you not see that this isn’t the time for that?” Grey beard said in common for Marth to understand. He shakes his head and turns back to the matter at hand.

“Fine, fine, I get the message,” Marth turns away and looks for Darius grabs Amanda’s ass as he waked passed her, she began to laugh a bit knowing that he only knows half or let alone a quarter of the story here.

“Oh, torture,” It’s fun, said Grey Beard in northerner, “I’ll let you know all about it, there is so much pain that can be caused before people die!” he shouted. “Only, until you know you wouldn’t sign?” He asked the rich looking man.

“Fine, I’ll sign,” the bound man said. “Only, promise me, you will end my life quickly.”

“Hand over the contract that void’s his other will,” said Grey Beard, “and the contract to transfer the titles.” Amanda does so, and faintly smiles. “Darius, hand me the quill and the ink please,” he asked. There was no response. “Darius!”

“Aye,” Darius responded from the port side ending the conversation with Marth he had immediately.

“The Quill and ink please! For the love of all that is, is, hand them over.” Said Grey Beard. Darius got into his pack and handed him the closed jar and quill for the writing. “No, no, oh, got it. Sign here,”

“Ok,” said the bound man. Grey Beard cuts one of his arms free so he can sign, he did as he was told. Still, he sobbed.

“Now that the void is done,” Grey Beard “Now sign here!” he demanded. Looking over the pitiful man and soaking it in. The man did so. Crying even harder, now he doesn’t have anything to look forward to in his next life. He began to bawl.

“It’s done, my lady,” said grey beard. “it’s done. Now for our agreement”

“Yes, you can have him,” and “this vessel” Amanda looked one last time at her ex and wiped her tears from her cheeks walked away.

The questions raised are intentional, there is something up with the captain, his crew, and for the most part the narrator isn't the most competent, he like you isn't omnipotent. When in doubt blame the lies of the character's or blame the narrator.