COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
First and Second Name

If I reserve a Surname my first character will start with that Surname but what will be the First name?

Will it be smth that is just randomly generated?

Can my future characters loose my Surname?

3/26/2018 7:43:20 PM #1

Pretty sure you choose the first name during character creation, unless you're taking over an existing character

You'll likely lose your surname quite quickly if you don't have children/play your lineage

If you leave your family and they thrive as NPCs, there's a good chance your name could even become rather popular in Elyria, and there's a possibility you may be on the outside of said group

2A4E09

3/26/2018 7:44:16 PM #2

Your first name will be whatever you name yourself.... you will choose.

Unknown if you can lose a surname, maybe if you do something really heinous? Chances are it would only effect one character though and not the whole surname/family.

3/26/2018 8:01:12 PM #3

From the CoE Discord (01-02-18):

I have a question I think no one answered yet. If I die with no heirs, will my custom surname be lost forever?

Caspian: No. If every single member of your family dies, and there are no remaining members of your dynasty, you can simply create a new character and assume the surname again.

3/27/2018 8:18:31 AM #4

Second name: "Whether or not you are selecting to start from a Family or as a Ward, you will be able to use your custom surname to replace the family or orphange name with your own." - ok, thats clear

First name:

According to my pledge pack I will have 3 Souls to choose from. So what I will be choosing? Just selecting one of three kinds of appearance? I was sure that I will have to accept their First names as well. Or I will be able to rename them completely including First name?

3/27/2018 10:45:55 AM #5

First name:

According to my pledge pack I will have 3 Souls to choose from. So what I will be choosing? Just selecting of of three kinds of appearance? I was sure that I will have to accept of their First names as well. Or I will be able to rename them completely including First name?

Each soul will have skill ramps that will allow you to progress faster in some skills.

If you start as a ward of the state or as a character between the ages of 15 and 18, you will be able to choose your first name. Elyrians participate in a naming ceremony as teenagers. If you choose a nontraditional character between the ages of 19 and 52, you cannot change their name.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/27/2018 11:25:44 AM #6

Regarding first names; someone recall if there will be filters to ensure the consistency of the world's lore like in the surname creation, or we will maybe see some DarkLord93 Naan Tè?

3/27/2018 12:22:57 PM #7

Can't immagine there won't be filters for first names. Would be really immersion breaking to see Hallo75 and xX?Xx run about.

3/27/2018 12:54:44 PM #8

You take your character over on naming day IIRC.

3/27/2018 1:18:44 PM #9

I say anyone who has a bad name gets shunned. Shun the nonbelievers!

3/27/2018 1:20:56 PM #10

Posted By Noryn at 08:22 AM - Tue Mar 27 2018

Can't immagine there won't be filters for first names. Would be really immersion breaking to see Hallo75 and xX?Xx run about.

Quite so! Soulbound have been really good about actively checking ever name, setting parameters in place so the names will not be immersive breaking. If you click here.

It will lead you to the Surname reservation page, in doing so you can see the parameters they have set on the Surnames, mind you they will also be checking over every single surname. I can say without a doubt they will do a very similar thing for ones first name, it is just how the dev team rolls :)

3/27/2018 1:42:35 PM #11

I asked because the amount of work for filtering first names will be higher, since a lot of players didn't reserve the surnames, and just a automatic filter may be easier to bypass.

3/27/2018 2:46:57 PM #12

Posted By Eurickdm at 09:42 AM - Tue Mar 27 2018

I asked because the amount of work for filtering first names will be higher, since a lot of players didn't reserve the surnames, and just a automatic filter may be easier to bypass.

I think you are correct in assuming that their will be an automatic filter that is less fine tuned than the surname reservation selector. They are being very restrictive there because the surnames are persistent and tied to the families. Players will be born into these families as they take their places in the world unless they chose to be wards.

I'm sure it will be sufficient to keep out the most common immersion breakers that we all know and love.

And remember, that in this game there are no floating name plates showing the names. You have to ask people to know. Meeting and greeting them. And if somebody tells you their name is L33tDudeXx then you can tell right away if that is somebody you want to play with. Kind of like in real life.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

3/28/2018 2:23:15 AM #13

L33tDudeXx is taken.