COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Expectations of a Hunter

While listening/watching the recent live stream for The Town Crier, an interesting little discussion cropped up in the chat, that being the expected difficulty of a general hunting trip. Eventually, two people (whose names I cant remember, nor care enough to try to find out) ended up having two rather opposed views on the subject. The first view point could basically be summed up as, "Hunting predators and large creatures should be difficult, but hunting game animals, such as deer or elk, shouldn't be like hunting a Dark Souls boss and should be something a hunter could do alone." The second view point could basically be summed up as, "Everything should be as difficult as possible and require a community to do, solo players need not apply."

I'm personally of the opinion that a basic hunt to feed your family shouldn't require you to round up a small militia to go scouring the forest for some deer for food, especially seeing as having a large group of people trying to hunt in the same area would just spook the very thing you're hunting and cause it to run away. Sure, history has shown us that we've hunted in groups in the past, but it seems like it's usually been to hunt large things like Mammoths or entire herds of animals once, or nobles going after foxes or boar in order to show off.

I'm curious as to the opinion of the community at large in regards to what they expect the difficulty of the hunt should be, and whether or not any devs would be willing to weigh in on where they are attempting to aim in regards to the difficulty of an "average" hunt.

8/3/2018 4:36:41 AM #1

I'm interested from a Janoan aspect. They love to hunt to collect trophies. Surely if hunting was easy then the trophies wouldn't mean much.

Personally i hope large animals on the scale of elephant or even mammoth size are not easy to kill solo, perhaps requiring traps. I normally imagine a hunting party to take such beasts down.

Boars iirc used to be hunted in groups, not solo as they were very vicious and dangerous creatures when provoked.

8/3/2018 5:47:47 AM #2

Hunting in this game has always been an option to me. I hope the hunting, and weapon skills in general, are good and realistic. I don't want a deer to run off on me after I hit it in the head with an arrow, or in the leg. Or even if I hit the body, i want it to bleed grow weak overtime and eventually die. This would be the ideal Hunter immersion that I want.

With the realistic way they are taking things (going all the way to see a dude who takes care of horses for medieval jousting to see in-depth of how a horse moves), there is a good chance mechanics like this will be implemented.

I want them to take their time. I don't care if the game comes out in 2020, or 2021. At the rate they are going at, CoE would be your ideal simulator for anything medieval and fantasy.

[

8/3/2018 6:01:05 AM #3

I would sum up my hunting expectations as simply no matter how much skill or tech we get that animals, hybrid chimeras, or fantasy versions always carry some degree of skill, challenge, or danger to them by the numbers in a pack or herd and the quirks they might have.

Like hunting and something rams you and no matter how much armor you might be wearing a huge animal could have horns or thick skulls to pierce or straight up flatten or trample you.

Or that predators might learn to go for the weak spots or gaps in armor with their own level of skill progression at the same time we learn to defeat their natural defenses.

Or that there is always new threatening beasts to worry about as the story ramps up which might protect or shepard animals and chimeras.

Just something that keeps hunting from being trivialized almost immediatly and organically gains new defense mechanisms as we overcome them.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

8/3/2018 4:50:30 PM #4

I think for larger animals you should probably require a group but not for a something like a deer. Solo hunting is something I would do to relax by myself. Plus in real life you don't need a party of people to hunt a deer. Doesn't make sense.

8/4/2018 10:16:00 AM #5

As someone very interested in being a ranger/solo hunter, I would prefer for most animals to be solo-able, with particularly large animals (larger than deer/elk) being the exception. I've never been a fan of the "everything has to be dark souls level hard" viewpoint.

8/4/2018 2:46:41 PM #6

There should be animals that are either passive or aggressive. More aggressive animals could require more people, but there should also be a good supply of smaller or more passive animals for one hunter to face. Granted playing solo in an MMO can be missing the point a bit, but there should be some things you can do alone for when you either can't find a group, or just want some privacy. Hopefully there will be a good mix of creatures, and it won't all be vorpal bunnies and dire bears.

Alt text - can be left blank

8/4/2018 4:31:57 PM #7

I guess it depends on your definition of "solo"....

I'm of the opinion that there will be a mixture of both situations depending on the size of the creature being hunted or the number of them being hunted.

Big bad beasties should take more effort/teamwork to take down than the "average bear." So if you want to organize the Elyrian equivalent of a buffalo hunt it is within your rights. But the "average" animal should be able to be hunted with the skills of an "average" hunter. If you are above average then you might be able to go after bigger/more dangerous things at your own peril.

I also think that the need for interconnectedness will fall more in the area of what to do with the animal once you have killed it. Unless you plan on being a total Johnnie Woodsman (who also tans and then makes his own clothing or something along those lines) you will need to interact with someone (PC or NPC) to dispose of the remains and stuff like that.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

8/5/2018 7:41:03 PM #8

I am an avid hunter in real life, so generally, my opinion is based off real life experiences. However, CoE is a fantasy game with many realistic elements added. The fantasy allows them to do things that may be fun but isn’t necessarily realistic. I personally feel that most game should be able to be hunted solo. I personally would feel comfortable hunting any game in North America with a bow and I think CoE should reflect that. Some of the bigger creatures should definitely require more than one person to take down due to their natural traits, intelligence, or sheer size.

I am really interested in how using a bow to hunt in CoE will work. Will It work like real life where if you hit a vital organ the animal will die shortly thereafter or animals have hit points and die once they reach zero? I wonder just how far they will take hunting as well. For example, will we have to work about masking out scent? I am interested to see what the community wants and how SBS addresses it.

Taking a break and don't know when I will be back.

8/8/2018 3:15:37 PM #9

You'll be able to hunt many of Elyria's fauna solo. There will be scenarios where that's a really bad idea, of course, but we're not asking for you to convene the fellowship to take out a deer. ;)

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/8/2018 3:46:23 PM #10

LOL...I needed that laugh this morning, thanks Snipe!

Imgur

8/8/2018 3:59:10 PM #11

And I'll guess, besides dangerous creatures, the hardest part of hunting will always be finding your prey before it finds you. A deer is supposed to be faster than most humans and other creatures that smell or otherwise find you will just hide or run away in zig-zag, which makes it hart to hit them. And then, there are those, that see you as their prey... you'll never know^^ And most animals have better noses or eyes or other senses than humans.

Friend Code: 30EF47

8/8/2018 6:46:54 PM #12

The part of hunting I'm most worried about is the tragedy of the commons, honestly. The possibility of driving things to extinction simply because they can be hunted by one person. I imagine eventually people will figure out the basic rules like don't hunt during breeding season, but (like in the Plague event right now :/ ) some people will not care or simply not know. (augh we need backup with the plague.)

My latest D&D character was a peppy forest gnome pyromaniac. Guess what tribe I'm playing when Elyria releases. ~Arndis: county of Oakmoon, duchy of Drakeolm, kingdom of Blackheart, realm of Angelica.

8/9/2018 4:21:11 AM #13

Posted By Gromschlog at 11:59 AM - Wed Aug 08 2018

And I'll guess, besides dangerous creatures, the hardest part of hunting will always be finding your prey before it finds you. A deer is supposed to be faster than most humans and other creatures that smell or otherwise find you will just hide or run away in zig-zag, which makes it hart to hit them. And then, there are those, that see you as their prey... you'll never know^^ And most animals have better noses or eyes or other senses than humans.

Definitely this. I don't want to see the generic "wander in a circle" AI paired with terrible senses and absurdly slow speed for quadrupeds. However, if you manage to shoot the deer, it should go down easily.

8/9/2018 4:01:58 PM #14

In my opinion, whether an animal's soloable or not should really come down to whether it's possible to fell it if you A: know its anatomy and are skilled enough to land a critical hit (in the literal, not popular, definition of the term), or B: prepare well enough in advance of the hunt, and are lucky enough, that you can manipulate the prey into a situation in which it's impossible for it to survive.

Bear in mind that hunting's not just going out into the bush with a bow/crossbow, sighting on an animal, and shooting it. There's other ways to go about bringing an animal down. The use of traps, mild poisons, geography, unique equipment and the like will all alter the strategy a hunter approaches the hunt with. Could a single hunter solo an ursaphant with nothing but a bow, some arrows, and high agility? Probably not. Could he poison it with an arrowhead coated in tranquiliser from high ground, track the creature's blood trail to its eventual point of collapse, and slit its throat? Significantly more likely, if he knows the dosage needed, the lay of the land, the anatomy of his target, and how to use his weapon properly. Whether a creature is soloable or not should, in a lot of cases, really come down to preparation.

Obviously this is a stock example, ursaphant hide might be tough enough to resist arrows. Or there might be some other complicating factor that would make this less viable. But if we're not being creative, a lot more in the game is going to seem impossible than what actually is.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

8/10/2018 5:08:24 PM #15

Posted By Wolfguarde at 11:01 AM - Thu Aug 09 2018

Could a single hunter solo an ursaphant with nothing but a bow, some arrows, and high agility? Probably not. Could he poison it with an arrowhead coated in tranquilizer from high ground, track the creature's blood trail to its eventual point of collapse, and slit its throat? Significantly more likely, if he knows the dosage needed, the lay of the land, the anatomy of his target, and how to use his weapon properly. Whether a creature is soloable or not should, in a lot of cases, really come down to preparation.

You should be able to solo a ursaphant unless their hide ends up being super thick or having some type of property that makes it unpenetrable. IRL every land animal on earth can be taken with a bow, including elephants and rhinos. Should every bow be able to take down a ursaphant, no, but a bow with the proper poundage and shooting the right grain arrow/arrowhead should.

Also, why use poison? What if there is still residue or toxins left in the meat? You better use something like Diamphotoxin that breaks down when cooked because its an amino acid.

Taking a break and don't know when I will be back.