COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Salt pans/ponds

Hello there. I'm new around here, and these questions probably won't effect me anyways (as I'm going for an adventurer/bee-loving/cartographer lifestyle), but I am curious nonetheless.

Will natural salt pans be a feature of the desert biome?

Will we be able to build salt evaporation ponds to extract salt from brines, such as brackish water and seawater?

As I've only found mentions of salt-related topics on the mining inquiries so far, I believe these would make desert (especially) and coastal areas a bit more interesting, both on the resource availability and adventuring fronts.

NA-East. Cartography, linguistics and apiculture.

9/28/2018 7:06:37 PM #1

I sure hope so. Salt is a very important asset in medieval themed worlds. Primarily for preserving and flavoring foodstuffs ofc. I would assume they will add it, and I do hope they will both consider sea salt and rock salt deposits in various forms (varying from surface layers and saline clay to deposits and formations in underground layers and cave systems).

Do note that unlike sea salt or salt pans bordering inland lakes in dry/dried biomes, rock salt will require some technology to process the mineral rock into useful salt and some leftover mineral clay/rock. Various options possible, just keep it relatively simple yet a realistic and fun and rewarding challenge.

9/29/2018 5:26:18 AM #2

This is an appropriate question not just for desert biomes, but for any coastal areas of oceans (assuming they are salty) or salt lakes. As long as the rate of evaporation is greater than the rate of precipitation, salt evaporation ponds are possible. Non-desert biomes with dry seasons can and do support them in RL.

9/29/2018 5:38:37 AM #3

Hopefully the metal deposits and salt deposits will be abundant in different parts of the world forcing players to create trade routes.

I wonder how important food preservation will be in the world. Can you keep a piece of raw meat in your backpack for an Elyrian month. How long can salted meat last?

9/29/2018 2:47:07 PM #4

Poldano, I agree, salt lakes would definitely do it. I just gave a little more emphasis to the desert biome because people aren't too keen on it and naturally occuring salt pans are pretty unusual anywhere else.

Halvgrim, according to the Youtube dev Q&As, hot/humid climates will have a tougher time with food/meat preservation. Long-traveling merchants will probably also require to preserve their supplies regardless.

NA-East. Cartography, linguistics and apiculture.