COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Idea: A questionnaire for the standard OPC script.

It could be fun to have the standard OPC script ask the player a list of questions. Here are some quick ideas

• List of jobs that you would prefer to do (Chop wood, kill enemies etc)
  • How willing are you to accept interesting low salary job offers? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to accept dangerous job offers? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to move to another town to get jobs/food? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to accept a job if the mayor threatens to throw all the unemployed citizens out of the town? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to steal to avoid hunger? (1-10)
  • How important is it to you to always carry enough food for a month?
  • How important is it to you to always carry at least 3 gp?
  • How willing are you to risk your life to save a friend? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to risk your life to save a stranger? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to accept a marriage proposal? (1-10)
  • How willing are you to accept a child proposal? (1-10)

I expect that this questionnaire will be fun to fil out, but it could also allow the OPC script to make a decision in an unexpected situations such as unemployment, homelessness, hunger and war.

Most players don't know how to code, so they can never know if a player written OPC-script will allow them to survive the encounter with a dragon or a year of hunger. So as a player I would probably have more trust in a standard OPC-script combined with a questionnaire.

10/3/2018 9:40:55 AM #1

I appreciate the initiative as it feeds the thoughts, but I think some of the example questions are a bit too far off for 'standard' OPC scripts. I can imagine a few people may not care about continuity and prefer the 'all the way' approach to playing a random character while they're logged off. But I personally don't think OPCs should be enabled to make life changeing decisions while their puppeteer is enjoying his or her vacation. Imagine your character is a baker in a medium sized settlement and you'd log out for 2 weeks and return to find he (you) accepted an invitation to sail off to unknown shores and had a shipwreck. Chances of extreme decision making to happen without player involvement should at least be adjustable to zero. Bad luck from unfortunate events is a different aspect though. :)

10/3/2018 4:35:08 PM #2

I like the idea of there being a direct relationship between basic contracts and standard OPC scripts. For example:

Basic contract states the you will provide lumber to X, at a rate of X per unit. The contract provides you with a delivery location (Snipe has mentioned there will be certain interfaces to designate "things" via certain plots).

The OPC standard script system allows you to dictate a location to go chop wood (assuming you have sufficient skill), and where to bring it to. Maybe even a back-up location. Additionally, the script can tell the OPC to either run or fight if they are attacked, rest/eat/drink when needed, etc.

You won't gain skill, but you can at least be "productive" with your time.

Similar concept as what was brought up in the other thread about OPC "factories".

Imgur