COMMUNITY - FORUMS - LUNA GENERAL
Map sizes

Howdy all!

Really excited about map voting and to see all the progress and content coming out. I haven't voted in round 2 just yet, and while going through the maps I couldn't help but notice the scale. I have to say it seems quite small.

Based on the measure, it looks like the average map is about 50km wide by 100km long. That's ~roughly the size of Hawai'i's (main island) though that island is approximately round.

To put things into perspective, a bit of googling yielded info on average distance covered by a horse to be just about 50km/day. This means there's nowhere you can't be on the continent in 2 days. That means you could march an army across the known world in just about a week. A cow could be milked at the northern most tip of the map and that milk churned into butter at the southernmost tip a few days later.

This means that if you were driving a car along a highway, you'd traverse the whole continent in an hour. See biomes switch every 10 mins or so, and expect to see whole new kingdoms more often than a Starbucks.

I'm wondering how this is going to play our given that they want 100,000 actors in this area. The density will be intense with very little open space and fewer nooks and crannies to discover.

Am I missing something?

Scientist. Student. Gamer.

11/8/2018 12:16:08 PM #1

I was thinking the same thing at first glance. When I saw the 10km marker for scale my first thought was "a bit smaller than some of the more ambitious game maps out there". But I really don't mind, this is literally still considered a huge map by industry standard.

Truth be told, I'm really not concerned and I'll give you several reasons why:

First off, keep in mind this is the STARTING continent. We're not even sure if the second continent will be the final one. map size =/= world size.

Second, I think for the way the game is set up it's best not to have anything crazy. You raised concerns with the density, which is a fair point, but my worries have actually been on the opposite side of the spectrum. Quite a few people I've come in contact with are at least a mayor/baron holder. This plus several other factors have actually had me concerned about in game content, density, and population. I've played games with a 20 minute travel time from one end of the map to the other, and they've felt dead either because a large proportion of players were centered in one area or spread out too far.

Third, it really doesn't matter how large a game is (and again this is a decent sized map, keep in mind gta v is just over 10km from north to south), but rather the travel time. We're not going to have cars, and many people might not even have horses. For a lot of players city-to-city travel will be the extent of their travel plans. In fact inter-kingdom, inter-duchy, and even inter-county travel might be something that many players only do once or twice throughout their whole experience in CoE. Like I said earlier, I've played games with roughly 15-30 minute travel time. A game with a potentially week long travel time seems pretty crazy to me. Even the two day travel time with a horse is crazy. Think about it, we're talking likely +30 hours of straight travel. Remember, you want the game to seem realistic enough to the point of immersion, without being bogged down by all the inconveniences of real life. If we were talking a time scale of weeks for travel, then expeditions and journey's would be way less appealing and the game would only seem that much more dead.

My final point, again, just going off that 10km scale we're given (let that sink in, the center body of water on map H can house the entirety of gta v), it seems to dwarf games like Just Cause 3, that honestly started to seem too big, even given aircraft. This is not a small, or even medium size map, just that a lot of people hyped it up to be something crazy (which arguably it still is).

11/8/2018 12:23:51 PM #2

80 km x 150 km is the dimension on map N.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

11/8/2018 1:18:40 PM #3

Posted By Balerathon at

Am I missing something?

Indeed, you do. :)

Though it is a tricky matter, the main culprit being the time scale: an elyrian day last 2.8 hours in real time, and a week is an elyrian year (with 60 elyrian days, each of the six months taking 10 of those).

Meaning that in your example of an earthling "horse day", we could be looking at a coast-to-coast round-trip lasting between one and two elyrian months (up to a third of a year).

Elyrians from sneak peek videos seems to walk and travel just fine to our earthly perception, but time is speeding up like crazy meanwhile.

An estimate based mainly on crossing relatively plane terrains, which is hard to find in most elyrian biomes, as it will largely depends on infrastructure and technology. There will also be some detours to be going around (no convenient bridges or tunnels to cross) and stops to be made (survival, providing, rest... then encounters, friendly or less).

By the way, don't expect to have an easier time going with sea travel, since it is the most unforgiving biome of all... and having no coast in sight will be as unforgiving as it was in ancient (and medieval, and renaissance... and today) times, despite the enhanced tehnology.

And yeah, since flight is not an option, a travel through the wilderness is a lot like ancient times or going through the few secluded regions still remaining on Earth, rather than going to purchase the daily milk at the nearby supermarket.

Hell, in the beginning of railroad, going past the 30km/h threshold was considering a folly! (like cruising at 200+ nowadays).

Time and travel are very relative beasts...

...imagine getting stranded in the middle of a nearby forest on a moonless night and you'll understand how to get lost for days at less than 20 km from home (or civilization as we called it once).

Kurugi [A5D079]

11/8/2018 2:12:03 PM #4

Kurugi hits the nail on the head.

If you consider that every 2.8 hours a day passes, then this 2 day trip you are referencing is already multiple days.

Now you consider that of those 2.8 hours, you will need breaks to eat and sleep, and lets say you are only actively walking 1.4 hours of the time. This doubled your trip.

Looking into the Horse km in a day example, 50 is an upper example of one finely bred horse breaking a sweat for the entire day. If you also consider that those horses could not do this for days on end, the riders would be exhausted after half a days travel at full pace, and that this pace is over flat terrain and not mountains and bogs, we have immensely added to our time.

TLDR. The travel will not be linear, we will not be able to have fresh Brudvir yak milk in the rainforest.

11/8/2018 3:22:09 PM #5

Thanks all for the replies, I just love this community :)

It's funny I forgot about the time dilation aspect given one of my earliest posts on these forums. Great point and, to me, really reorients my view on this.

Damn I can't wait to get in there and meet you all and experience the game!

11/8/2018 7:33:16 PM #6

The scale is wrong. It’s not 10 km it’s closer to 10 miles.

If you use the full resolution image of 2048 by 2048 pixels, 10km is 80 pixels (10240 meters, since an Elyrian km is defined as 1024 meters, because it’s easier to work with).

1 pixel is 4 parcels (2x2), a parcel being 64x64 meters, or roughly an acre.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

11/8/2018 11:28:24 PM #7

Hmmm fascinating. Do you have a rough estimate of how many pixels the average landmass is?

I was going based off the scale measure at the bottom of the map and rough estimating how many of them fit in to get a general idea

11/8/2018 11:40:54 PM #8

yea, the scale on the maps is wrong.

The scale says 10km is 128pixels, but actually 10km is 80pixels. thats because the picture for the scale got scaled^^

whatever... OP thinks the map is small... but compare it to any other mmo out there, and you'll find that its actually huge compared to them, as in most other mmos, you can travel through the whole landmass in an hour or something in that scale. In addition to that, the starting continent is just 28% of the total landmass and the rest is yet to be discovered after launch. Concerning player/character density, currently, modern countries have roughly 10 times the density compared what we'll see in CoE. And even in modern countries, there are areas where you wont see anyone else if you want to.

And travel times... well... 50km is really no problem for average distances for a horse. Even by foot, people made roughly 30km in medieval. Thats just walking for 6-10 hours and resting the rest of the day. Certainly doable.

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/8/2018 11:55:48 PM #9

Thanks for the input Grom, great points :)

I agree it's much bigger than many other games (is it actually larger than every other MMO by a huge amount? I don't know.)

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons why player densities in a game are not analogous to the real world. Player psychology, in game incentives, world mechanics, etc. Though I take your point, perhaps it'll be just fine, and if not I'm confident the team will pay appropriate attention to it.

Do you happen to be able to estimate the actual size based on the real scale data? I'm sadly on my phone for the rest of the day :(

11/10/2018 8:44:54 AM #10

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22498/parcels-settlements-and-counties-a-visual-representation

(idk how to do links)

This should be a good visual representation for you. If the numbers are still accurate then the starting continent should be roughly 500 times bigger then Skyrim.