COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
NPC sexual orientation question

So, I've been wondering about how NPC attraction and sexuality will work, specifically if they have a range of sexual orientations or do they sit exclusively between 1 and 2 on the Kinsey Scale (mostly straight but some gay tendencies, for obvious npc marriage and reproduction reasons)?

Obviously PCs will be whatever the player wants (straight, gay, bi, asexual, etc), but NPCs would be controlled by the soulborn engine so their sexual orientation will be determined by it.

I can see arguments for both sides. One sexuality for all NPCs would be simpler to implement and easier for players to set up their planned romances and families, though a range would be more realistic and create new and interesting storylines and dramas.

Really, though, I'd just like an answer to sate my curiosity if nothing else.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/12/2019 8:41:27 AM #1

I on't know if they've changed this or not but I think they've said NPC will more or less be "fluid" in their sexual orientation as in gender isnt a reason they would refuse romantic interactions.

But I don't know, I personally think it's the best way to have NPCs lean more to straight as in among themselves they'll marry male to female but also be open to homosexual relationships but the PC would have to initiate it, as in flirt. As a gay person I would like to have the option to romantically pursue any NPC I want but also don't want to alienate straight people.

I think that's the best way to please both parties.

3/13/2019 12:32:30 AM #2

Assuming NPCs will be generating most of the children that aren't already locked to a player's line and thus unavailable for anyone else to play either most will need to pair up in a m/f combo to have kids or sbs will need to make the portion that does artificially successful so they can afford enough rooms in their houses to crank out a lot of kids. Then on top of that default npc to npc behavior maybe they can layer preferences in regards to PC interaction. Maybe make the PCs work a bit harder to woo that attractive NPC that may not be super into you to start in some cases. If it's always a case of "do X points of wooing and any NPC will say yes" that gets a bit boring.

3/13/2019 12:51:02 AM #3

I wouldn't have guessed there be much to do it, really just work like The Sims. Seem to be able to hook up with anyone in those games. Be the easy way to go about the whole thing.

3/13/2019 9:51:55 AM #4

If they had preferences it would be really cool. Although it might also cause some difficulties for the play experience if NPCs are denying child contracts and marriages.

It could work if they were considered "bi-sexual" (to Earth standards) but had a PREFERENCE for one gender over another. That way it doesn't affect gameplay for us, but sometimes you find someone with a different preference. Everyone wins!

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

3/13/2019 5:59:32 PM #5

Varying specialities would be lovely to see in game.

As someone who is a lesbian transwoman, sexuality and gender identity are things I wish to see more of in games. A little representation in CoE would be nice.

3/13/2019 10:55:55 PM #6

NPCs shouldnt be simple objects that are only there to do whatever players want. They should have their own personalities and if that makes it harder for someone to marry a specific NPC and makes him try another one, thats just more realistic and in this case in a good way. As long as non-straight NPCs are a clear minority, there isnt any issue. But yea, genderfluid is fine, too.

However, just because your target is of the other sex and straight doesnt mean you can just marry it. They should at any day totally be able and willing to deny contracts if those are not what fits their own goals.

Friend Code: 30EF47

3/13/2019 11:00:31 PM #7

Does this really matter in the scheme of things for CoE? Just curious.

3/14/2019 12:33:29 AM #8

Posted By Nkrumah at 4:00 PM - Wed Mar 13 2019

Does this really matter in the scheme of things for CoE? Just curious.

Maybe to a small extent, in regards to character planning (like I play a lesbian character and try to woo a woman I took a liking to, but she's exclusively or largely straight, forcing me to find another character to woo), and conflict (a character becomes attracted to another, finds out that their orientation is incompatible, and, due to bigotry or possessiveness, decides to kill them). Perhaps even cultural (subtle to blatant signs worn on one's person, depending on local attitudes saying "I'm gay!" or "I'm bi!")

Really, though I'm just curious myself. (also, yes I do have an overactive imagination, hence the above three scenarios)

Also, judging by the fact that a dev hasn't answered yet, they either don't have an answer yet, or do but aren't willing to share yet, which I can respect.

Posted By TheCheshireDragon at 10:59 AM - Wed Mar 13 2019

Varying specialities would be lovely to see in game.

As someone who is a lesbian transwoman, sexuality and gender identity are things I wish to see more of in games. A little representation in CoE would be nice.

Not sure why this got disliked twice. Have a like from me, as even as as straight, cis man, I agree more representation for LGBT would be nice

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

11/26/2019 9:45:15 PM #9

This thread and talk of reproduction made me think about that Star Trek episode where a race of aliens had 3 genders, the male, female and then a 3rd gender and the male and female if they wanted a child had to impregnate the 3rd gender and the 3rd gender was the one who carried and had the child. Can you imagine how fantastical that would be if implemented in Elyria across the entire board, all players would effectively require a surrogate. lol

Anyway, I don't personally see any need for same sex relationships/marriage/childbirth in the game when it comes to NPC on NPC. The NPC are there as a function of the world and one of the functions is increasing the world population besides the players. Allowing players to have same sex relationship/marriage/childbirth is a requirement because it gives players the freedom of choice, the NPC don't really need that because they'll do what they're programmed to do and they're not real people, they'll meet someone and produce an NPC offspring, having an NPC couple require a surrogate isn't a real requirement as the NPC do not require freedom of choice therefore it would only really be for show to sate gamers.

If there are things in the game other than childbirth that NPC's achieve by having same sex relationships however then i'll stand corrected and it should be in the game. Ultimately I think the question is when it comes to NPC is it a requirement for NPC to have same sex relationships other than for the benefit of gamers wanting to see it happen.

Further still, if all NPC are created Bisexual, what ratio should the soulborne engine generate same sex relationships and how would that effect the need for surrogates and thus affect population growth. It adds extra levels of complexity to the equations.

11/26/2019 9:47:18 PM #10

Quote removed due to being in violation of CoC & ToS.

Erm, as far as I know, it also isn't a non-LGBT game. And, considering that the player's demagraphic will represent... yah know, the world we live in.... which has the LGBT community in it... Also, the way someone identifies doesn't translate into a "sex game" as children are made through a contract. Really, marriage is more of a shared assets. dynasty building, etc.
That being said, while I am not against devs adding npc samesex pairing, I also am not hoping for it. I just want to kill monsters, lead armies, and privateer a bit. But, while doing this, if I find out my neighbor's heir was created through someone signing a contract with someone of the same gender instead of the opposite gender... well... to me, that isn't exactly a game changer. And if they do implement any of this and you don't like it, there are plenty of games out there that don't have those things... =)

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

11/26/2019 9:49:20 PM #11

Well they aren't adding same-sex baby contract making so that isn't an issue. Same-sex marriage is a thing. I believe the commentators just want more diversity in the gender situation for in-game.

11/26/2019 11:11:30 PM #12

Four real life things I "dislike" when discussing games:

1) Religion

2) Politics

3) Sexual orientation

4) Sports

😁

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/26/2019 11:30:54 PM #13

Posted By Kyleran at 4:11 PM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Four real life things I "dislike" when discussing games:

1) Religion

2) Politics

3) Sexual orientation

4) Sports

😁

LOL a game about politics, that has some dev hushhush secrets about religion, includes procreation contracts, and has the sport of jousting...

11/26/2019 11:31:28 PM #14

Thoughts

There are people here pro this way ,and others who are very much con to this stuff.

Games are Games.

Whatever SbS decides whichever way is fine. It is a game there mechanics work how they'll want them to.

I feel like whatever they end up deciding whether your pro or con. Look at the game as being a game ,and all of it's mechanics ,and not get hung up on one of many mechanics like this one. I'm sure CoE will have people who dislike certain things ,and others might love ,but look at the whole picture of CoE ,and just enjoy it.

If there isnt any mechanics like this in game done scream out loud about it.

If there is dont scream around about it.

Just let SbS design the game world ,and mechanics the way they want too is what I say.

11/27/2019 5:28:16 PM #15

I mean, like I said, I am not begging for it to happen- I don't really care for that aspect of the game play- when I am making contracts or wooing npcs, it will be a means to an end. I doubt it will be nearly as in-depth and fun as seducing half of the kingdom like CK2, so I am focusing on other areas. However, for some people, the wooing of npcs may be half the fun. And in that regard, I get that some people would want their own genders and sexual identities represented. Just like some people are going to be really into being a blacksmith. And they would probably want it to be as close to real as possible- for role playing and immersion. It may play no part in your game- but for them, it totally would! I am thinking that it won't be added- for the simple fact that some countries/cultures aren't super open to it and at the end of the day, they want their game played by as many people as they can, but I can totally sympathize with wanting it.

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish