COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
NPC sexual orientation question
+2

So, I've been wondering about how NPC attraction and sexuality will work, specifically if they have a range of sexual orientations or do they sit exclusively between 1 and 2 on the Kinsey Scale (mostly straight but some gay tendencies, for obvious npc marriage and reproduction reasons)?

Obviously PCs will be whatever the player wants (straight, gay, bi, asexual, etc), but NPCs would be controlled by the soulborn engine so their sexual orientation will be determined by it.

I can see arguments for both sides. One sexuality for all NPCs would be simpler to implement and easier for players to set up their planned romances and families, though a range would be more realistic and create new and interesting storylines and dramas.

Really, though, I'd just like an answer to sate my curiosity if nothing else.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/12/2019 8:41:27 AM #1
+2

I on't know if they've changed this or not but I think they've said NPC will more or less be "fluid" in their sexual orientation as in gender isnt a reason they would refuse romantic interactions.

But I don't know, I personally think it's the best way to have NPCs lean more to straight as in among themselves they'll marry male to female but also be open to homosexual relationships but the PC would have to initiate it, as in flirt. As a gay person I would like to have the option to romantically pursue any NPC I want but also don't want to alienate straight people.

I think that's the best way to please both parties.

3/13/2019 12:32:30 AM #2
+0

Assuming NPCs will be generating most of the children that aren't already locked to a player's line and thus unavailable for anyone else to play either most will need to pair up in a m/f combo to have kids or sbs will need to make the portion that does artificially successful so they can afford enough rooms in their houses to crank out a lot of kids. Then on top of that default npc to npc behavior maybe they can layer preferences in regards to PC interaction. Maybe make the PCs work a bit harder to woo that attractive NPC that may not be super into you to start in some cases. If it's always a case of "do X points of wooing and any NPC will say yes" that gets a bit boring.

3/13/2019 12:51:02 AM #3
+0

I wouldn't have guessed there be much to do it, really just work like The Sims. Seem to be able to hook up with anyone in those games. Be the easy way to go about the whole thing.

3/13/2019 9:51:55 AM #4
+0

If they had preferences it would be really cool. Although it might also cause some difficulties for the play experience if NPCs are denying child contracts and marriages.

It could work if they were considered "bi-sexual" (to Earth standards) but had a PREFERENCE for one gender over another. That way it doesn't affect gameplay for us, but sometimes you find someone with a different preference. Everyone wins!

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

3/13/2019 5:59:32 PM #5
+2

Varying specialities would be lovely to see in game.

As someone who is a lesbian transwoman, sexuality and gender identity are things I wish to see more of in games. A little representation in CoE would be nice.

"As man seeks justice in equality, so society seeks order in anarchy"

3/13/2019 10:55:55 PM #6
+0

NPCs shouldnt be simple objects that are only there to do whatever players want. They should have their own personalities and if that makes it harder for someone to marry a specific NPC and makes him try another one, thats just more realistic and in this case in a good way. As long as non-straight NPCs are a clear minority, there isnt any issue. But yea, genderfluid is fine, too.

However, just because your target is of the other sex and straight doesnt mean you can just marry it. They should at any day totally be able and willing to deny contracts if those are not what fits their own goals.

Friend Code: 30EF47

3/13/2019 11:00:31 PM #7
+4

Does this really matter in the scheme of things for CoE? Just curious.

3/14/2019 12:33:29 AM #8

Posted By Nkrumah at 4:00 PM - Wed Mar 13 2019

Does this really matter in the scheme of things for CoE? Just curious.

Maybe to a small extent, in regards to character planning (like I play a lesbian character and try to woo a woman I took a liking to, but she's exclusively or largely straight, forcing me to find another character to woo), and conflict (a character becomes attracted to another, finds out that their orientation is incompatible, and, due to bigotry or possessiveness, decides to kill them). Perhaps even cultural (subtle to blatant signs worn on one's person, depending on local attitudes saying "I'm gay!" or "I'm bi!")

Really, though I'm just curious myself. (also, yes I do have an overactive imagination, hence the above three scenarios)

Also, judging by the fact that a dev hasn't answered yet, they either don't have an answer yet, or do but aren't willing to share yet, which I can respect.

Posted By TheCheshireDragon at 10:59 AM - Wed Mar 13 2019

Varying specialities would be lovely to see in game.

As someone who is a lesbian transwoman, sexuality and gender identity are things I wish to see more of in games. A little representation in CoE would be nice.

Not sure why this got disliked twice. Have a like from me, as even as as straight, cis man, I agree more representation for LGBT would be nice

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/14/2019 1:26:47 AM #9
+2