COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Creating a settlememt

Hello!

Two part question. First, if I buy the tale of 2 Hamlets package and become a mayor, does that come with the land to make my own town or do I have to buy the required parcels with EP? Second, how many parcels are required to upgrade from hamlet to village, town, city etc.?

Dragonviir of Dragons Keep

Kingdom of Vornair

"Forged by Fire"

4/12/2019 3:41:30 AM #1

villages are 9 parcels, +6 from a hamlet

towns have 25 parcels

cities are known to have 49 parcels

capitals follow at 81 parcels

first part: comes with at least 3 parcels, but you get to pick if you lock it all in by April 22nd and so you could have 9 or more (possibly) - no EP parcel buying required.

A Simple Mayor of the humble city of...

4/12/2019 4:30:18 AM #2

Mayors claim an existing settlement. That settlement has a size, and as part of your mayorship, you will have partial ownership of the land in that town. Your ownership share will be larger than any others, but not necessarily a majority.

The settlement will not be a hamlet unless you choose a very small one. In order to have a mayor, it must be at least a town. As there should be plenty of places that are at least that large on the map, you are unlikely to need to choose a smaller settlement unless there is a particular reason that you decide that you need a very specific location on the map.

You can then use EP to add things to your settlement, such as bulldings, more land, crafting stations, etc. This is for customizing your area, but the baseline settlement you start with should already be at least minimally self-sufficient without extra expenditure.

Countess DeBrume, Brume Harrow, Blackthorn Vale, Mytharbor, Free Kingdom of Alesia (NA-E)

4/12/2019 11:59:00 AM #3

Okay I'm still a bit confused...the tale of two hamlets package says it comes with blueprints and resources to build your own settlement, will I just be choosing an empty plot of land? Also with the mayor title does it automatically come with land or do I have to hope I get 25 parcels?

Kingdom of Vornair

"Forged by Fire"

4/12/2019 12:26:38 PM #4

On the second question, with a.Mayor title, you pick an existing settlement when d&ss rolls around (later this month) and your turn comes up (next month), so you'll have a pre-existing settlement for your mayor title.

The settlement selection will tell you what the selected settlement's size, economic focus, etc. are before you commit to a choice. Feel free to poke around before your turn after d&ss starts (I sure will) to find something you like in the area you're interested in

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

4/12/2019 3:13:42 PM #5

Okay so are some settlements bigger then others? It just seems kind of wierd to buy the mayor title and not be garunteed at least 25 parcels for a town. Me and my friend were hoping to get 25 parcels beside eachother so our towns will work together. Now I'm not sure how probable that will be.

Also could we potentially combine the two towns for 50 parcels and be one city?

Kingdom of Vornair

"Forged by Fire"

4/12/2019 3:29:58 PM #6

It is unlikely that you will find two towns close enough to each other that you'll easily be able to combine them into one settlement through urban expansion. Instead, it would be best for your friend to give you their Mayor title (or for you to give yours to them) so you can use the double-title to expand a single town instead.

Having two titles gives you extra parcels of land centered on the same settlement, after all.

4/12/2019 3:48:36 PM #7

Posted By Makaize at 4:13 PM - Fri Apr 12 2019

Okay so are some settlements bigger then others?

Yes, settlements range from tiny hamlets of three parcels to sprawling capitals of 81 parcels or more.

It just seems kind of wierd to buy the mayor title and not be garunteed at least 25 parcels for a town.

The title guarantees the right to start in control of a settlement. In all probability given the sheer number of settlements available you're unlikely to be condemned to anything smaller than a village (10 parcels) unless you're looking for a niche experience

Me and my friend were hoping to get 25 parcels beside eachother so our towns will work together. Now I'm not sure how probable that will be.

How close your settlements are, geographically, depends on the pre-generated settlements in DSS, it is unlikely they'll directly border each other without at least some wilderness in between. Nothing prevents you from working together however and the monument from the tale of 2 hamlets encourages such co-operation mechanically.

Also could we potentially combine the two towns for 50 parcels and be one city?

If you choose one of you to hold both mayoral titles an additional 9 parcels will be added to the pre-generated settlement you select.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/12/2019 3:51:33 PM #8

Also remember that you can BUY more parcels either during exposition or after it. With effort you can grow a tiny hamlet into a city, eventually.

You also don't need to personally own every parcel of land for it to count towards the size of your settlement, so you can encourage your rich citizens to buy land too.

4/12/2019 3:53:38 PM #9

Yes, some settlements will be bigger than others. There will be a range from capitals, which will be few in number, to villages, which will be much greater in number, and possibly hamlets as well. At the hamlet level, mayors are not getting something remotely worth the cost of the title they paid for.

The likelihood of you and your friend having settlements close to each other depends on the location. In some counties (where there exists much competition), it will definitely not be possible without the IP (influence) to guarantee a high pick order.

You can also build your own settlements during Expo, if you like, but you can only use your mayor title on pre-generated settlements, which will be available for selection later this month.

4/12/2019 4:38:33 PM #10

So just so I understand this...if I combine the titles then I will get 9 parcels as well as whatever settlement I choose?

Kingdom of Vornair

"Forged by Fire"

4/12/2019 4:39:19 PM #11

That's correct, yes.

4/12/2019 4:56:41 PM #12

Posted By Makaize at 5:38 PM - Fri Apr 12 2019

So just so I understand this...if I combine the titles then I will get 9 parcels as well as whatever settlement I choose?

The settlement you choose will grow by 9 parcels - you don't 'own' all the parcels in the settlement

Coming Soon(tm)

4/12/2019 6:15:42 PM #13

If you have a Mayor title, you will start the game as a Mayor with a pre-built town to govern. This town is one you will be selecting in D&SS. It is unlikely that you will get a City sized settlement(49+ parcels) and if you have low IP it will be further unlikely that you will get a Town sized settlement(25+ parcels). most mayors will initially govern Village sized settlements(9+ parcels). Having extra mayor titles will increase your settlement size by 9 parcels, however, even though you are a mayor of the town, you do not own every little bit of the town. People are free to come in during exposition and purchase land within your settlement to do with as they please. Some NPC's will also own land within your settlement. Having 2 towns in such a close proximity that you could merge them will not happen. Towns are built and placed according to natural resources in the area, given this, towns will not be so close together as to be able to merge them.

4/12/2019 7:18:56 PM #14

What's considered low IP? I will have about 5000 after purchases

Kingdom of Vornair

"Forged by Fire"

4/12/2019 7:20:03 PM #15

From what I’ve heard, that’s pretty average amount but ultimately, we don’t really know how much IP people have.