COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
DSS Professions

Can we get a better elaboration of the professions? For instance, What is CoE's view on the difference between Guard, Officer, Constable, Soldier, Warrior, Skirmisher etc?

Also how does EP purchases (such as defensive structures) change the settlements profession's view? Can I get a Town that barely has Soldiers but place any type of defensive structure during Exposition and have them change their professions or are they picky? Will they leave but soldiers might come migrate to me? If they do change professions, Are they hindered because its not their main focus? (weaker soldiers)

Taalgrimm County - County of the FireWolves In The Hrothi Mines Arming Armies Since The Beginning Of Time.

8/20/2019 4:45:40 AM #1

You should watch the live-stream from today. It basically answers most of what you're asking here.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32473/special-livestream-today-819?page=2#16

8/20/2019 5:14:36 AM #2

Posted By Steveburger at 12:45 AM - Tue Aug 20 2019

You should watch the live-stream from today. It basically answers most of what you're asking here.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/32473/special-livestream-today-819?page=2#16

Nope I just watched the whole 1 hour 20 minute video, they didn't go over professions and the differences between such similar roles. All they talk about is the map, resources and layout.

Taalgrimm County - County of the FireWolves In The Hrothi Mines Arming Armies Since The Beginning Of Time.

8/20/2019 11:53:10 AM #3

At some point they did talk about professions a bit. That they can select different jobs and some jobs have overlap. Just because they choose a specific job doesn't mean that's the only job they can do well, it's just the job that made the most sense given the choices made by the algorithm.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/20/2019 1:13:53 PM #4

They "discuss" jobs, but theres nothing of much substance on the topic in that live stream

8/20/2019 2:05:19 PM #5

I concur, a list of professions and their duties/roles would be useful for all roles of the game. It's been awhile since we've seen some design journals so I would not be surprised if there were some in the pipeline. Some of your other questions might be answered else were. I imagine you could conscript in an emergency. Their should be a write up about the AI that talks about the hierarchy of needs. Basically if you provide a place for solders to work and there's a lot of solders without work they'll come to you.

8/20/2019 6:39:28 PM #6

Posted By Beric at

Can we get a better elaboration of the professions? For instance, What is CoE's view on the difference between Guard, Officer, Constable, Soldier, Warrior, Skirmisher etc?

Happy answer questions when I have time like these, but we've got a lot going on in terms of development, and putting together a mini-DJ on professions, which is what explaining them all will take, is probably a larger time sink than we can justify right now.

But:

• A Guard is not an officer of the law, but rather hired security. Think a rent-a-cop in modern life, or a body guard, or the security of a nightclub.

• A Constable is essentially a policemann. They are charged with keeping the peace in a settlement and are generally responsible for things like crime prevention, riot quelling, investigating murders in a settlement, etc. In America we'd call a constable a "beat cop."

• An Officer is an agent of the government related to security or law enforcement in a senior role. They might be a mid-ranked Constable with some leadership duties and/or specialized investigation skills, or the commander of a squad or larger group of soldiers in the military.

• A soldier is a fighter of some sort charged with the duty of defending the realm as a member of its standing army. Soldiers can have further specializations like Footman or Archer or Cavalry. A soldier is assumed to have no command responsibility by default.

• A Warrior is a fighter of some sort, who has pledged themselves to the defense of the realm, should the need arises, but they are not a member of any sort of standing army. They are essentially regular citizens with combat prowess who can act as a sort of local militia if the need arises. They are generally considered elite fighters with superior skills to your average soldier, but often lack a nuanced understanding of strategy.

• A Skirmisher is an elite fighter in the Waerd culture. Like Warriors, Skirmishers aren't exactly members of a standing army. However, unlike Warriors, Skirmishers are dedicated to the defense of their realm full time, similar to a soldier. They spend their time roaming the realm, looking for threats, training locals to better defend themselves, and maintaining their combat readiness. When a true threat enters their territory, Skirmishers will come together to form small squads or bands, to harass, harry, ambush, distract, and ultimately whittle away an enemy force until that force is routed or is reduced in strength enough that they can be defeated by local defenders with the Skirmishers' help.

Also how does EP purchases (such as defensive structures) change the settlements profession's view? Can I get a Town that barely has Soldiers but place any type of defensive structure during Exposition and have them change their professions or are they picky? Will they leave but soldiers might come migrate to me? If they do change professions, Are they hindered because its not their main focus? (weaker soldiers)

Building new structures doesn't, by itself, change professions. It's possible, for example, to build walls and a garrison, but not have any guards, constables, or soldiers for those defenses because you never hired any. As a Mayor, you'll be in charge of a town's budget, which means you'll have to decide what jobs you're willing to pay for, and how much you'll compensate folks for taking them. That will determine both the availability of jobs of this type and, based on pay, how desirable those jobs will be for the NPCs and players in your settlement.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/21/2019 12:00:13 AM #7

"Soldiers can have further specializations like Footman or Archer or Calvary."

I think you mean Cavalry. Calvary is a place in Israel.

8/21/2019 12:45:45 AM #8

lol yep

• Snipehunter
8/21/2019 6:32:27 AM #9

What do these Top and Notable professions in each area mean?

"Top professions" is stated (in the map mouse-over tips) as "most inhabitant pursing this profession". I suppose it means that NPC:s in that area want that profession and have such skills. Or does it also mean that PC:s looking for such profession will succeed better in that area? Or should PC:s actually look for some other area, since there are already so many NPC:s with same interest?

And what does "Notable professions" then mean? The tip says "remarkable or less common". How should that be interpreted? That there are very few NPC:s with such profession and/or some NPC:s are remarkably skilled in such profession? Kinda confusing.... And what would that mean to PC:s?

8/21/2019 11:49:35 AM #10

Thank you, very helpful and looking forward to the DJ!!!!

8/21/2019 1:14:22 PM #11

Posted By Kurko at 02:32 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

What do these Top and Notable professions in each area mean?

"Top professions" is stated (in the map mouse-over tips) as "most inhabitant pursing this profession". I suppose it means that NPC:s in that area want that profession and have such skills. Or does it also mean that PC:s looking for such profession will succeed better in that area? Or should PC:s actually look for some other area, since there are already so many NPC:s with same interest?

And what does "Notable professions" then mean? The tip says "remarkable or less common". How should that be interpreted? That there are very few NPC:s with such profession and/or some NPC:s are remarkably skilled in such profession? Kinda confusing.... And what would that mean to PC:s?

Well top professions are the professions that are currently the most used, and since there are no PCs yet, that would be NPCs. So if you look at the dialog and Farming is most abundant, then the top professions list farmer as number 1 you can infer a lot of NPCs are farmers.

Notable I'm not so clear on, but it seems SBS intends for notable to indicate different or uncommon professions some of the NPCs have.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

8/21/2019 1:46:44 PM #12

What I’m not certain about is whether notable is in general or just for that region.

Some like brightsmiths, diplomats, politicians etc are probably notable wherever but some of the notable professions I’ve seen (animal herder) seem like they’d be much more commonplace in some regions than others.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/21/2019 2:41:41 PM #13

Notable is a profession that is not that common in the rest of the region, or in general. It's something that settlement (or county/duchy) is known for.

It's usually jobs that do not require a large amount of people per settlement to have that job (such as astronomers, writers. glassmakers, judges) because a single or a couple of persons with that job can serve a large group of people.

Other jobs may be very situational and require other jobs to exist in that area, or some resource. (Miners for example require something to mine, while blacksmiths require miners, officers require a squad to lead, vintners require some sort of storage so either potters or coopers or glassmakers).

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/22/2019 6:28:04 AM #14

Posted By Kurko at 11:32 PM - Tue Aug 20 2019

>

In case your question wasn't answered yet.

To my understanding, the remarkable or less common professions are something worth noting that the town has. For example, if the town has a dungeoneer, but there isn't any dungeons nearby as they are in a forest. That's curious? They could only be in town for a short while on a contract or maybe passing through to a new town with more dungeons to crawl. Spies are another profession to note for D&SS for obvious reasons ;)

A lot of different things can be learned from each profession so knowing who is in town is very important to people learning new skills or intending to improve their home, town, and country.

And, like snipehunter said throughout the stream, this map is particularly structured for D&SS. It may be completely useless to me as I don't have anything to claim, but it certainly is helpful for those that are managing a kingdom or domain.

Edit: Zimmah has some great points as well!

"Change, or know your fate.." - Elijah Sozo

8/23/2019 12:53:33 AM #15

In your example Dungeoneer is just passing through but ive found some with no caves even in a whole dutchy and the dungeoneer is in the very center thats quite a ways in to just be passing through. any thoughts?

Friend Code: 6DEF22