COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will there be a spreadsheet of map information?

It occurred to me as I was looking through maps for specific kinds of things in or available to settlements that it would be much easier if I had a database or spreadsheet I could select or sort on what I was looking for.

Will something like this be available, or is it likely to make searching too easy?

I'm thinking that something of the sort must be a requirement for character creation, because it is supposed to be possible to select a family of a particular tribe in a particular profession. Professions do not definitely indicate the presence of a resource, but they at least hint at it, because (for example) one is unlikely to find a miner where there are no minerals.

Of course it's going to be large. I figure it would be on the order of 10,000 rows and a hundred columns for an entire server's worth of information. I've dealt with worse.

8/21/2019 8:03:19 AM #1

Shouldn't be too hard for SBS to do a DB query to pull out everything into a excel/google docs format. Maybe 10-15mins? Much easier than community manually entering values (hours and hours).

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

8/21/2019 8:21:18 AM #2

No, well yes, but no it shouldn't be in a specific spreadsheet format -- it should just be a csv so that anyone can use it however they want, not limit it to a specific application.

8/21/2019 8:55:07 AM #3

No it should be Json for python query

8/21/2019 9:33:34 AM #4

We had one, community made, but it was removed i believe.

8/21/2019 10:28:07 AM #5

Posted By Enjgine at 09:55 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

May I ask why? That seems incredibly restrictive for the vast majority of people -- no non-technical person would be able to do anything in it, or likely have access to anything that could import it without assistance.

If SBS were to provide this data, it would likely be simple enough that it wouldn't need to be in a format capable of supporting a complex structure -- I don't see any benefit to using json.

8/21/2019 2:45:22 PM #6

Posted By Enjgine at 10:55 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

technically you can work with csv in python too, but json is probably easier.

Posted By Xaar at 12:28 PM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Posted By Enjgine at 09:55 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

May I ask why? That seems incredibly restrictive for the vast majority of people -- no non-technical person would be able to do anything in it, or likely have access to anything that could import it without assistance.

If SBS were to provide this data, it would likely be simple enough that it wouldn't need to be in a format capable of supporting a complex structure -- I don't see any benefit to using json.

JSON is easy to import into anything, apps, scripts, and spreadsheets. There's really no downside to it. You can even convert json to csv fairly easily, but the opposite is a bit more complex (it can be done, it just takes more effort).

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/22/2019 4:21:47 AM #7

If such a thing were offered, it should be in a format that can be imported directly into at least one commonly available application with no programming required. People shouldn't be forced into learning Python or any other textual language in order to access the data. That was my original idea, anyways.