COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mayor Packages Explained

Hi everyone!

I've seen quite a few threads from folks with mayor packages recently expressing some confusion about what the mayor package means and what sort of settlement you are supposed to pick, so I wanted to try to clarify that for you, if I can.

Here's how the mayor title works: When a mayor title holder selects a settlement, regardless of its size, they will become the chief executive of that settlement. This means that they will control the majority vote in settlements with voting arrangements, or they will hold the right to administrate the settlement if it uses a different system.

Many seem to think that a mayor must choose a town or they will lose something from their package. The confusion here comes from the fact that the name of the title is "Mayor" and there is also an honorific in the game that uses the same word. The difference is that the honorific "Mayor" is only applied to the chief executive of a town, while the mayor title applies to any player that purchased the right to govern a settlement.

So in that sense it's true that the elders of a hamlet or village aren't called "mayors," but that also means the "mayor" honorific doesn't apply to city or capital level settlement chief executives either, since settlements of those sizes use different honorifics as well. If we were to say that Mayor title holders could only be "Mayors" it would mean that mayor titles could only pick towns, which we certainly never wanted.

In other words, it was never our intention that the mayor title in your inventory would explicitly apply only to towns. You can see this in the description of the title in your inventory:

As that screenshot shows you, what you gain with the mayor title is explicitly stated:

• You will name and govern a settlement
  • You will receive a cloak showing your status as a mayor title holder and your family crest
  • you will gain access to the crest making tool when it is available.

None of that changes no matter which size settlement you settle in. If you settle in a hamlet or village, you will become a elder with the majority vote in the settlement's council, giving you control over the settlement's political decisions. If you settle in a town you will become its "mayor" also giving you control over the settlement's political decisions. If you settle in a city you will become its magistrate, but again you will find yourself in control of the settlement's political decisions. And, finally, if you settle in a capital you will become its governor with, as you can probably guess at this point, control over its political decisions.

Each of these honorifics specify the same thing: You are governing the settlement.

However, while your personal benefits don't change based on the size of the settlement, the different settlement sizes do have different features associated with them. For example, the land management table is a feature of a town or larger sized settlement, so a mayor title holder that settles in a village or a hamlet will need to grow their settlement into a town to enable that feature.

What all of this boils down to in Domain and Settlement Selection is that a mayor can pick any sized settlement without losing anything from their package. There is, however, one rule that will restrict your choices: If the county you are picking your settlement from doesn't yet have a count you cannot pick the last Town+ sized settlement in the county. This does mean that in a county with two settlements, one town and one hamlet, a mayor could only pick the hamlet. But, on the other hand, it also means that in a county with a capital, a town, and 3 hamlets, nothing is stopping a mayor from picking the capital, and leaving the town for a potential count.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
... ...
8/26/2019 12:27:02 AM #61

Posted By Scorus at 8:00 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Would it be possible to not implement the 'no picking a lone town+ by a mayor' until the server is actually down to the number of outstanding count titles? In some biomes you will be closing off a very large number of towns when you may not have that many counts that haven't chosen.

This is going to heavily impact a large number of players so that you do not inconvenience what I expect will be a very few number of players. They number of counts that do not show up during their week but then do come in to pick before the end of D&SS will not be many at all. In areas like Tidal and Salt Marsh, this will mean that whole counties could go unpicked as they are only one town and a hamlet or two!

This keeps coming up, the idea that SBS designed it this way to not inconvenience Count level PCs. People keep forgetting that every County WILL have a count, whether that's a PC or an NPC and being a Count requires the infrastructure of a Town as they have to manage the buying and selling of parcels of land throughout the County. If a Mayor picks the only Town+ settlement left then SBS would then have to alter a smaller settlement to allow for the Count to be able to function (a function that every landowner needs them to have) in EVERY county where this occurs, which given how much everyone wants a Town would basically be every County that wasn't picked during the initial Count selection.

The more SBS has to manually change, the more things start to unravel with the game world. Point and case, this current situation with so many 1 Town+ settlement counties is almost certainly due to the 24 County per Duchy constraint the Community at large pressured SBS into making. The downstream effects of what you are asking for will also have similarly disruptive results down the line. Now it's true that the auction might require a few instances of this manual meddling, but that's a far cry from how much they'd have to do if they followed this suggestion.

Look, I am a Mayor as well. In fact, I got the Governor package to boot and so I can empathize with the frustration of those that didn't realize that having a Mayor tier wasn't a guarantee of a Town or greater settlement. Hells, I would have more grounds to feel entitled to a large town or city given the Governor tier, but I don't, because I looked past the basic description and focused on what the package listed as the actual benefits (what Snipe pointed out in his post). The reality of the situation is that we are ALL getting the ability to control a settlement. The size might vary, but we get one along with a fancy cloak and coat of arms signifying that we are in charge (at least initially).

8/26/2019 12:28:28 AM #62

Posted By odd fella at 3:33 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

For those who laugh at the frustration Mayors feel, you will have your day too.

Then the community's favourite, Snipehunter, will be left to pick up the pieces Caspian left with his discord comments.

I AM a mayor lmao, I just understand what I'm getting out of my purchase

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

8/26/2019 1:01:17 AM #63

Thing that I am seeing here is the same people defending against the same people who feel they have been offended.

I've complained at this very point because no matter what all the white knights say SBS sold it as a mayor package with a mayor title. If your tribe doesn't call it a mayor it's a mute point because they will have an equivalent.

Simplest way to solve this would have been to offer all mayor's that selected a hamlet or village ep equivalent to the difference in parcels and buildings to enable them to improve their settlement.

Instead what they did was bring in an upgrade that costs $375 and doesn't actually take into account what level of package you have already. Case and point, I'm baron my package cost me 250 during Kickstarter, my friend has a magistrate pack that was a hell of a lot more. We both need $375 to upgrade.

What this stinks of is a money grab against the existing community who have already out millions of dollars into the game.

Tldr SBS could have put in a simple solution of ep rewards, instead they chose to fleece backers for more money.

8/26/2019 1:15:49 AM #64

For those that think I haven't purchased a town as my reward using my Kickstarter pledge...

Clearly states town there

8/26/2019 1:24:00 AM #65

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 6:15 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

For those that think I haven't purchased a town as my reward using my Kickstarter pledge...

Strange,link isn't working again...

https://imgur.com/a/k8WY1Do

I guess I'll repeat myself

1. It wasn't until Snipehunter clarified this in the past few days, that "Mayor" as title meant chief executive of a town

2. They didnt even have the concept of settlement sizes during kickstarter, so town/stronghold meant Settlement/barony

so, no, you can't cherry pick things like that to fuel your outrage, at least make a valid argument

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

8/26/2019 1:26:40 AM #66

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 9:01 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Thing that I am seeing here is the same people defending against the same people who feel they have been offended.

I've complained at this very point because no matter what all the white knights say SBS sold it as a mayor package with a mayor title. If your tribe doesn't call it a mayor it's a mute point because they will have an equivalent.

Simplest way to solve this would have been to offer all mayor's that selected a hamlet or village ep equivalent to the difference in parcels and buildings to enable them to improve their settlement.

Instead what they did was bring in an upgrade that costs $375 and doesn't actually take into account what level of package you have already. Case and point, I'm baron my package cost me 250 during Kickstarter, my friend has a magistrate pack that was a hell of a lot more. We both need $375 to upgrade.

What this stinks of is a money grab against the existing community who have already out millions of dollars into the game.

Tldr SBS could have put in a simple solution of ep rewards, instead they chose to fleece backers for more money.

The upgrade also makes you a Count. It's not intended for a Mayor who just wants a better settlement, it's for those that were considering upgrading during the Dutch Auction and would have been put in an awkward position if they had already chosen a village or Hamlet during the Mayor selection period.

It's actually a bit of a discount for a Count upgrade, but yeah I wouldn't recommend someone buying that just to up their settlement. You'd then be saddled with a bunch of extra responsibilities.

8/26/2019 1:40:52 AM #67

Posted By NightTarot at 02:24 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

1. It wasn't until Snipehunter clarified this in the past few days, that "Mayor" as title meant chief executive of a town

2. They didnt even have the concept of settlement sizes during kickstarter, so town/stronghold meant Settlement/barony

so, no, you can't cherry pick things like that to fuel your outrage, at least make a valid argument

Right so I'm going to assume you wasn't around 1) pre kickstarter 2) during kickstarter 3) post Kickstarter (until 2018) and that's why your being stupid.

So I believe Kickstarter was May 2016, they also released a Design journal 2 weeks later. That design journal was based off a 4000 page document about settlements and in it quite clearly each town separation is mentioned.

So what your saying is that 2 weeks earlier no settlement breakdown existed, but in 2 weeks the designers had designed the whole settlement breakdown and wrote a 4000 word document on it?

Finally in that said design journal is this snippet of information

"The person "in charge" of the town is the Mayor and everyone else are members of the Town Council."

So at this point mayor's are in charge of towns. If this changed so that the baron (mayor) package no longer included the town then an update should have gone out. But it didn't, an update a few days ago is not a prepurchase update and so SBS is bound by their previous wording.

The very least they should offer is ep so a mayor can upgrade the settlement they are stuck with to a town if they so want.

Tldr I have actually had chance to read through all the information available today as I'm not out with the family, maybe you should too

8/26/2019 1:44:01 AM #68

Posted By Drunva at 02:26 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

The upgrade also makes you a Count. It's not intended for a Mayor who just wants a better settlement, it's for those that were considering upgrading during the Dutch Auction and would have been put in an awkward position if they had already chosen a village or Hamlet during the Mayor selection period.

It's actually a bit of a discount for a Count upgrade, but yeah I wouldn't recommend someone buying that just to up their settlement. You'd then be saddled with a bunch of extra responsibilities.

I'm aware it's an upgrade to count. But as an upgrade can you tell me why my baron package upgrade is the same as a magistrate package upgrade when I paid $250 and he paid $700 or so ( not 100% on his package cost but he said something like that)

Ps It's also not a 45% discount like what should be available during the Dutch auction.

8/26/2019 2:19:37 AM #69

PSA: Please remember to keep your replies civil and respectful. Attacking others for having a different opinion is NOT ok. This is a volatile topic. If you want to keep discussing and replying to this thread then you need to dial back the attacks and offer solutions or state your concerns in a constructive manner. Thank you for understanding. -Focii-

Divide et Impera

8/26/2019 2:40:26 AM #70

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 6:44 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

I'm aware it's an upgrade to count. But as an upgrade can you tell me why my baron package upgrade is the same as a magistrate package upgrade when I paid $250 and he paid $700 or so ( not 100% on his package cost but he said something like that)

Ps It's also not a 45% discount like what should be available during the Dutch auction.

The dutch auction is set to start at a small discount and lower throughout the even if no one buys territory nearby. The 45% discount only happens if the area is unpopular and no one buys domains nearby.

Basically, the longer the domains nearby remain un-bought, the lower the discount will get. However, if a domain nearby does get bought, the value of the domain you may be keeping your eye on will begin to rise.

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

8/26/2019 3:01:07 AM #71

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 6:40 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Posted By NightTarot at 02:24 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

Right so I'm going to assume you wasn't around 1) pre kickstarter 2) during kickstarter 3) post Kickstarter (until 2018) and that's why your being stupid.

So I believe Kickstarter was May 2016, they also released a Design journal 2 weeks later. That design journal was based off a 4000 page document about settlements and in it quite clearly each town separation is mentioned.

So what your saying is that 2 weeks earlier no settlement breakdown existed, but in 2 weeks the designers had designed the whole settlement breakdown and wrote a 4000 word document on it?

Finally in that said design journal is this snippet of information

"The person "in charge" of the town is the Mayor and everyone else are members of the Town Council."

So at this point mayor's are in charge of towns. If this changed so that the baron (mayor) package no longer included the town then an update should have gone out. But it didn't, an update a few days ago is not a prepurchase update and so SBS is bound by their previous wording.

The very least they should offer is ep so a mayor can upgrade the settlement they are stuck with to a town if they so want.

Tldr I have actually had chance to read through all the information available today as I'm not out with the family, maybe you should too

Sir_Skylos is right. Caspian did talk about the various settlements even before the KS ended when he was interviewed by BicycleWalrus on his DM21 Gaming channel. So he knew at that time that there would be various settlement sizes and he didn't at any point during those interviews say that the Mayor Title meant a chief executive of a "town" which could be anything from a Hamlet to a Capital. That was 3 yrs ago and only now that the maps are out and people are realizing that they aren't getting what they may have paid for "and been promised in writing according to the KS page" have they suddenly changed what a Mayor title means.

Now I Understand that Caspian may have had other ideas of what Mayor meant 3 yrs ago, but he didn't mention it in the Dev Journal or the interviews even once. So honestly it's understandable why people are getting pissed off now that the terminology is being changed to fit SBS's DSS maps.

SnipeHunter I don't envy you having to be the voice of SBS in this matter.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

8/26/2019 3:09:13 AM #72

Want to be a “mayor” and not a “village elder?” Pass a village rule that henceforth the “elder” will be called “mayor.” Problem solved.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/26/2019 3:19:45 AM #73

Posted By Beathan at 10:09 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Want to be a “mayor” and not a “village elder?” Pass a village rule that henceforth the “elder” will be called “mayor.” Problem solved.

Except for the lack of the mayor mechanics that you miss while being an elder. Unless they've added in the same zoning, land management table, and autonomy that a mayor would have that an elder lacks now that we have "chief executive" players at all levels of a settlement.

8/26/2019 3:34:19 AM #74

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 9:44 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Posted By Drunva at 02:26 AM - Mon Aug 26 2019

The packages of Mayor, Magistrate and Governor are all the same "Tier." Having an Governor package doesn't mean you're closer to being a Count in terms of responsibility or real power. Those packages did come with MORE STUFF though which is what you're friend was paying for. So to answer your question the reason the upgrade costs the same for both of you is because it's giving both of you the same thing. Your domain expands from a single settlement to an entire county. It won't make your friend more of a Count than you if you both got it, so the cost should be the same. He does still keep all of the goodies form his Magistrate package though and you won't receive any of those benefits so everything is square.

8/26/2019 4:17:25 AM #75

Posted By Drunva at 6:26 PM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Well. That’s exactly why I upgraded. The county where I wanted to be didn’t have enough towns for all mayors. I plan to get a one town county and possibly shed a lot of it in the Sedecim.

... ...