COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show Us Your Domain] Village of Asturias

Resist and Bite

My eyes snap open. My heart beating out my chest, my face and neck covered in sweat, the horrors of war fill my nightmares. Every nook and crevice filled with screams of anger and anguish, clashing steel on clashing steel. The pandemonium was all consuming, until I woke.

Silence.

I sigh; I am safe. I have been safe for many years. My room is simple, and it is best left that way. I put on my clothes and go for a walk.

Immediately, I am greeted by the night sky. Beautiful and spacious, Luna seems to wink at me.

I wink back.

My pace is slow. Everything here is only a decade or so old. Before the war I lived here. Everything was destroyed. Burnt to the ground by Xeilian troops. My- no, our valley was desecrated by that tainted fire. My hand clenched in anger; I look at the night sky.

I no longer feel like winking.

All is quiet now, but Angelica brings souls of all walks of life together in a rough harmony of yelling, talking, and working. That harmony took almost a decade to restore, under my leadership. In my youth, I never imagined I would have any place leading others.

War changes us all.

I find myself at the river. It cuts a jagged scar through the valley, its source a magnificent waterfall and its terminus a pristine freshwater lake. The river bubbles and churns, giving life to the dead night.

This river is called the Esla by our people, after the great Nomad who founded the late settlement of Astyria. Chieftess Esla, after wandering many years, came upon this valley. She made a new life for them with her bare hands and a strong will, a will that I can only hope to emulate.

Her people, called the Astyr, the children of Esla, lived here for centuries in peace. Only the Chosen, an Order I had almost joined in my foolish youth, would fight.

I smiled. The Chosen were proud warriors, the heaviest cavalry of their time. They were always greeted with respect, their prowess unmatched. They always repelled invaders, never allowing any enemies into our home.

Xeilias was the first enemy in this valley for almost 500 years.

Damn it. Everything I think about comes back to the war. I must pray.

I turn sharply, walking quickly down the street. My eyes point forward, focused, but my mind is on the plains of Dawn, as I shove my spear into-

A magnificently simple building rises before me. I shove open the doors, my breathing labored by exhaustion and memories. I find myself a pew, quickly kneel, and close my eyes.

My thoughts slow, turning first to sludge, then to nothing. Relieved, I calmly open my eyes.

The church built here is new, an abhorrence in the eyes of my ancestors, no doubt. The war, despite my success, brought me great pain. I thought rebuilding my home would bring me peace. I was wrong.

The Virtori, an enemy to my people for centuries, became my greatest ally. Whenever I pray to the Virtues, my soul is at ease. So, I built this place of worship, encouraging my people to abandon the Old Gods.

The Basilica’s central nave seems to reach to the heavens: wide colorful windows filtering moonlight and coloring the empty pews. The side aisles have statues of the Virtues, each having at least flowers at their feet. Crimson and Blue banners hang before the altar at the far side of the church.

Suddenly, a door opens from the basement. A mann walks out and groggily rubs his eyes. He focuses on me, and smiles.

“Are you here again, Deric?”

I smile wryly.

“Yes, Pelayo. You know the night is difficult on me.”

“Well, your prayers are waking the Virtues,” He chuckles, “and you should let them get their rest as well.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

Pelayo is the leader of the reinstated Chosen, and an old friend. With no place to rest, the basement of the Basilica is their stronghold. They don’t seem to mind. Perhaps this is a good thing.

Like in the time of my youth, the Chosen protect their people once more.

I say my goodbyes, and head out. This place has changed. It is no longer the Astyria of my youth.

I smile at Luna.

It is now Asturias, the bastion of the Astyr.

When hard times come, we will be ready this time.

I can guarantee it.

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8