COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Shiny day? Perfect time to walk in the dark!

Hail Elyrians!

It is another shiny day!

I have to admit, I didn't spend the day working with the team the way I usually would. Instead, Caspian and I have been putting our heads together to tackle a couple of tricky pre-alpha questions related to how players move through the world, and so we we were sequestered today.

To be fair, I actually spent a chunk of the day describing how folks might dead lift heavy objects, drag things around, or topple over tall heavy things... so it was less about moving through the world and more about moving things in the world, but still: It was a deep design day as we re-examined our control schemes, talked about how these actions impact the world, etc. Days like these are a double-edged sword. On the one hand (and as I've mentioned before), they're a chance to look at what we've learned as we iterate and consider what changes, if any, we need to make. On the other, it means I wasn't in the thick of things the way I usually like to be. You'll probably hear me talk about review and retrospective analysis like that a lot; as more and more of the mechanics make it into the game, that becomes the larger focus of my personal work, so it's usually some chunk of what I'm doing every day. Today was special though; today it was an all day thing and I didn't really have time for anything else.

Buuuut.... I did sneak a few minutes in to walk around a place I mayhap should not have... and Maaaaaybeee I happened to be recording video at the time... I suppose, if I did, you'd see it right here, huh?

So, enjoy that totally smuggled look into the stuff we're literally right this second working on. ;) This is the level of "jank" that's pretty normal for the gray-boxing stage of setting this stuff up. You almost always start by shoving the pieces needed to work into the world, then when they work you start putting them where they're supposed to go, then you start making them look like they belong there... and then, finally, it all works well enough to get a true sense of the feel of things. This video comes from early in that process I just described, so don't expect too much player-ready material here, just yet. ;)

Stay shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
9/27/2019 1:24:32 AM #1

Actually, I lied. That's not a rock lantern. That's made from those glowing mushrooms, I think.

• Snipehunter
9/27/2019 1:28:17 AM #2

I love the shiney today!

9/27/2019 1:29:15 AM #3

Oh my gosh yes. Great shiny. I also love the commentary so you can explain why things are the way they are.

The FPS also seems to be a lot better.

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

9/27/2019 1:30:23 AM #4

Sweet

Referral Code: 2813AC

9/27/2019 1:30:55 AM #5

:)

9/27/2019 1:31:06 AM #6

Looks good, Thanks @snipehunter

I wonder what the mechanics are regarding claiming this dungeon as my own

9/27/2019 1:31:10 AM #7

Looking good!

9/27/2019 1:31:22 AM #8

Snipe, you are awesome.

SBS...you all are doing God's work here...looking great.

Imgur

9/27/2019 1:32:10 AM #9

Lol I totally missed the book on the stand in the scriptorium; I'm sure the magic word I needed was in there. ;)

• Snipehunter
9/27/2019 1:37:57 AM #10

Awesome stuff! I love all the bio-luminescence in the environment.

Lord of Aversía, Ksana, Riftwood (NA-W). Friend code: BB89A9

9/27/2019 1:38:14 AM #11

Actually, I think there was a key in the far right crematorium bay. I saw it while you were circling around in the there.

Edit: Nevermind...it was a bone.

9/27/2019 1:41:37 AM #12

thank you looks cool

Mayor Artesian Hoaghloy : Hoaghloy Settlement

9/27/2019 1:43:38 AM #13

Great Snipe! Thanks so much. Query: Would the 'Magic Word' always be in the native language of the particular region one is exploring in?

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

9/27/2019 1:44:22 AM #14

Very nice! The cobblestone texture is a bit raw, but I do like the look of it!

Sad that the keys were a bust. Maybe one of the books in the lectern had the password to the magic door?

Also, how dare one of the others loot the dungeon before you can show it off!! xD

Personally, I really liked this version instead of the write-up. It was much more enjoyable to hear the commentary as you played than to read about it afterward (though I do enjoy reading it after, don't get me wrong!),

Thanks for showing us, Snipehunter!

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

9/27/2019 1:45:11 AM #15

Magic Mushrooms