COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show Us Your Domain] Bhaile Sàmhchair

“Are you ready son?” my father asked. This was my first time to visit Bhaile Sàmhchair, the city where our count resides. We walk up to the cave that would lead us to the top of the mesa. At the entrance stands a statue to either side. The one on the right is new and seems to be forever changing. This is the statue of the current count. However, the statue on the left is old. No one knows how old it is, but they say it is the Waerd who founded this city.

I am surprised when I enter the cave. I expect it to be dark, however this is not the case. Inside it is lit up, and the climb up the slope is easier than I expect. Along the walls are different murals. Some depict the Waerd history, including the Breaking, the Second Godswar, and the resulting falling out. There is also the emergence of the Two-Fold Queen, and what seems to be her leading them to this city specifically. Along the other wall are depictions of trade, hunting of desert game, and the constellations even. All the murals are beautiful beyond imagine.

After we exit the cave there is an open gate. It looks like it hasn’t been closed in decades. A symbol of the peace and prosperity the city offers. We pass the guards and enter the city. As we walk down the main road, I glance about at the different people. I have never seen so many Neran in one place. I can’t believe they feel so at home here in the desert. In fact, I believe I see more Neran than I do Waerd.

“Father, are there really more Neran here than Waerd? I can’t believe this to be so,” I asked my father.

He laughs heartily. “No son, but there are almost as many. Here on the outskirts you are more likely to find Neran than Waerd. But further into the heart of the city you will see a better balance. The wealthiest sections of the city, you will find nary a Neran at all,” my father assures me. Even with this explanation, I am still surprised by the number of non-Waerd I see here at all.

As we walk toward the heart of the city, the trade square, my father and I must crowd together a little more. This city is surprisingly bustling. Once we reach the trade district, my father speaks to a man at a counter in the window of a building. The sign above reads, “City Management”. “Alright. I got our permit to set up a booth. We will be over here,” my father tells me.

As I follow my father, I look around at the other booths set up. I believe I catch a glimpse of people I’ve never seen before. I see tall figures, standing almost a foot higher than the Waerd, covered in cloth from head to toe. I see short figures dashing about underfoot. They seem extremely agile, which matches their size. “Father, who are these other tribes of people? I have never seen them in the desert before,” I ask.

“The tall ones are the Dras. They live to the south of the desert. Besides the Neran, they are our best trading partners. However, they burn easily in our sun, so they must cover themselves with heavy cloth to avoid it. The short things you see running around are Kypiq. Ignore them for the most part. They tend to be mischievous and nothing but trouble,” my father explains. “Now hurry up and help me set up our booth. We must sell our goods as quick as possible. I don’t want to stay too many nights here in the city.”

I know exactly why my father hates coming to this city. He has a bad habit of losing money at one of the many Neads Peacadh, dens of sin. The Neads Peacadh are one of the things that the city is famous for. People will travel from all across the desert for the chance to win money. And though most people lose their money, they have a great deal of fun. And many of the Neads Peacadh have great shows and top-notch food. Of course, father forbids me from entering them. I am not old enough he says. Too many temptations in them he tells me.

Next year, I will be old enough to sell my own wares at the market though.