COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show Us Your Domain] Luna->Bordweall->Weristark->Atalyn's Rest

“Atalyn rested her head on her interlocked hands as she lay on a beach gazing into the twilight of the longest night. She listened to the song created by the breeze as it whistled through blades of long green grass. As the sea ebbed and flowed across her long, tan legs, she closed her eyes and thought: 'Could it really be that I am the only one?' She recounted highlights of her unnaturally long life, hundreds of years in a single breath - each fraction of a moment feeling like an eternity to itself. 'How is this possible?'

Atalyn had spent most of her life searching for another who carried the magic of the gods. Someone whose voice could allure the most stalwart creature away from their charge and breathe water as if it was as pure as air. Now, after centuries had passed, the truth weighed heavy on her tender heart: 'I am alone.'

But she did not give in to the dark cold embrace of loneliness. Instead her heart throbbed with sadness for those that could never experience Elyria as she had. Each moment of her life was a magical gift that none other could comprehend. No one else would be able to compare the voices of the deep sea to that of the forest, or ken how underwater caverns and desert caves smell oddly similar. She lived like no other being could - unconstrained by land or water. She spent centuries experiencing everything Elyria had to offer and she desperately wanted someone with whom she could share it - someone who could understand.

She never spent too much time at any one place because there was always so much more left to see. But Elyria slowly began to run out of new creatures, new locations and new experiences. Having found no one that shared her gift, she looked towards the future wishing to find a way to experience and share the Elyria of the future with creatures yet born. Though her body remained young and strong, she nevertheless felt her spirit grow weary. She slowly stood up as the surf tugged at her feet. Walking deeper into the water, she sung one final song harmonizing with the sounds of the grasslands. As the water reached her waist, her energy and body slowly returned to Elyria. Her life returned to the world that gave her birth and imbued the surrounding waters with her memories and magical essence.”

Alariel’s audience remained speechless, enchanted by her telling of the legend of Atalyn - the first of the Sÿrens. “So it was here, in Atalyn’s Rest where people believe that she took her last breath” the Minstrel said pointing to the vast open fields of grass along the southern shores of the Duchy of Werïstärk. No one knows exactly where, but many speculate that she loved to stand half submerged in the shallow waters of Sÿren’s Call and sing to Elyria. Creatures from both land and sea would come to listen. Sÿren’s Call was named after the mystical attraction that this city has among those who visit it. Many leave the city only to find themselves drawn back to it for one reason or another.

“Did she have a mother and father” asked a little neran boy no older than 5 years of age. Alariel smiled and ruffled the boy’s red hair. “No one really knows,” she said. “some think she was the embodiment of Elyria, others believe she was a child of the gods. Nerans believe she was given life when mannkind split the world into Elyria, Haven and Karcion. Everyone has their speculation, but historians have never found anything to say she was even real.”

“But I know she is real! My mom and dad said that she is why I can be a wizard when I grow up” the boy exclaimed. “Is that right?” Alariel said smiling wryly at the boy. “Legend does say that the waters of Atalyn’s Rest contain her memories and magical essence. Those that are born here or drink from our waters sometimes find that they can wield mystical powers themselves.”

“So little Odalin, have you been blessed by Atalyn? Will we be telling tales of your adventures soon?” she asked him with a raised eyebrow. Odalin slowly stepped behind his father and stared at the ground remaining unnaturally quiet. Alariel chuckled and turned around, continuing to lead her audience north up the river to the settlement of Nathrandir.