COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show Us Your Domain] - The Serpent of Sylvae

Deep in the lands of Valyria where the broadleaf forests run deep, lays the County of Sylvae. Found in the Duchy of Pinecutter Hollow (which the locals call Wessex), Sylvae is, to be frank, an ordinary land. Average in wealth and culture, in population and trade, and average in beauty and in wisdom. Nor is there anything special about its capital city of Lakus Castrum, or any of its smaller towns or villages.

The soldiers that guard its borders are quite average, as are the farmers who toil the fields, the foresters who log its trees, the game that plies its forests, and the fish that swim in its waters. Nothing about or within this placid county is worthy of note, save one thing: The Serpent of Sylvae. Within the murky waters of Lake Sylvae lives a vile creature. A serpent of notorious repute, said to venture forth on moonless nights in the spring and fall, seeking Mann or beasts to sate its endless hunger.

Every nearby lake resident has a tale to tell, of close encounters with fang, coil, or evil eye. Often the local Nerans will readily share sure-fire strategies on how to best protect one’s family or hut from a deadly encounter with this water monstrosity. It is rumored that there are even those who offer sacrifices during dark nights, seeking other-worldly blessings for their ill designs. One story even relates that during the great plague of ages past, a misguided proselytizer offered eternal glory to those plague victims hovering near death if they would only use the remainder of their pitiful lives to sicken the beast and bring it down. Thus is the story of how the ruins of Baroom came to be.

While the ancestors of the current count would often scoff at peasant stories about the beast, or worse, openly invite the servants to share stories during feasts where they would be ridiculed, the current count is kinder. Lord Azzerhoden Razeri merely asks his villeins if the news they share of sightings are recent, or if they personally know of any destruction caused by the beast. Some speculate that the Lord has himself caught glimpses of the creature, while others say the good Lord is simply showing respect for those with whom he speaks.

Needless to say, there is many a passing adventurer who sails the great lake at night for a chance at glory, armed with ballistae and trolling with live ruminants. Most who do so return, though of those who do, all are unsuccessful.

10/14/2019 6:21:33 AM #1

I think I'd go to the County of Sylvae just to watch the "ruminant trolling"!

10/14/2019 12:45:13 PM #2

Great name!

10/14/2019 4:37:29 PM #3

LOL - and here I thought I had a unique name. :D

10/14/2019 4:40:06 PM #4

Good write up Azz.

Friend Code:AA9ACA

10/14/2019 4:43:43 PM #5

Nice.