COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Drop your weapons [discussion]

tl;dr: how many items will/should exist in CoE? Will/Should you be able to drop them on the ground?

A while ago in one of the shinys we got to see a dungeon. In this dungeon there were barrels, tables with candles, books, cups and stuff etc. with which you couldn't interact in any way. They were ambient-objects with no real use. When seeing this I was hoping there would be more usable and movable objects in the final game, like in the elder scroll's games or in divinity:original sin for example. I believe if items are actually usable and movable objects in the world it adds a lot to the feeling of immersion, especially with the idea of consistency in Elyria and the fact that there are professions like chandler, bookbinder, basketmaker, cooper etc. and also considering that displaying lots of items and entities is one of spacialOS's streangths, which was originally planned to be used for CoE. (Note that displaying many items is also a strength of the creation engine elder scroll games use!)

Recently I thought about other online games. I noticed that in many mmorpgs for example you can't even drop items on the ground and i remembered when in diablo 2 players started to drop so many single gold coins (which don't drop on top but next to each other) until almost the entire area of act 1 where you could walk without a looading screen was covered with items so that the game eventually crashed. Usually if there's a way for players to do something like that they will do. So maybe in addition to technical restrictions there's a reason why many games decided to not allow dropping items. Towns will be filled with stuff, candles, pillows, planks, crafting materials etc - and more importantly: CONSISTENT stuff which doesn't despawn after a while.

This got me thinking. Is it good to have many usable items in CoE? Should you even be allowed to place cups, candles etc. somewhere and pick them up afterwards? How will and should dropping items be handled generally? How does the consistency-design pillar change design choices made from a gameplay perspective in regards to this?

I'd like to hear your opinions!

10/16/2019 10:22:56 AM #1
  1. Add recycling to the game.
  2. Ppl will pick the stuff up to make money.

Imgur

10/16/2019 1:47:26 PM #2

During some Q&A it was said, when someone dies their stuff will remain on the ground. If an adventurer was in a dungeon and dies, the next guy will find it. Also, they need stuff in the world for deviants, the concept of everything can be lost depends on having live objects in the world, and you will be able to disarm opponents, since they are going for a simulator, disarming will make the opponent drop their weapon.

When you ask "if it's good to have usable items" I'm assuming you mean not having a lot of items to prevent long load times? The world is so big that I doubt we will really have any tech issues. Finding a bunch of items where a war too place may be different though. How the system handles wars will be the real test.

10/16/2019 2:31:45 PM #3

Gypsie paradise

10/16/2019 3:04:02 PM #4

Littered Battlefields.

Left to the elements much will sink into the morass or decompose/breakdown. Worthless objects can just be deleted straight away or after a bit due to Elyrian time compression.

Add "elemental mites" that go around seeking trash and deleting it effectively.

Imgur