COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
is that will a pay to win/play

hello,

i follow the game in a corner since few month and since last week i decided to be more involved in.

But rightnow i'm a little bit scared ! it will be a pay to play correctly ? for ornements or aesthetic things i understand. But if players have to pay to craft, be stuff it seems to be a pay to play ...

this question happened with the calendar for instance.

The mechanism in the game, economy, craff seems to be awesome but if we have to pay to be a master or more... ?

Skilpadde - Leviathan's City in Salernum

12/2/2019 12:23:17 PM #1

After release the shop will be reduced to only sparks and basic accounts.

While not everybody will start on the same footing cq some will start as nobles/aristocrats everything can be lost.

12/2/2019 12:34:06 PM #2

Hopefully not, you should be able to earn most things that high $ backers have got, but there is a bunch of early-backer and event-exclusive items that wont be available. They have said that the game isn't P2W, but its always good to be cautious of what a company tells you and do some research in to their actions rather than words first.

The team recently introduced a pseudo-lootbox system to drive up funding this Christmas which has been taken poorly by some members of the community and with praise by others; so you're best off looking through the forums and dev posts yourself to make your own opinion on P2W and other controversial aspects, as other community members will likely either defend any SBS action to the death, or make them out to be morally-barren capitalists who'll exploit you for your last penny. I know this isn't the succinct answer you were looking for but it's the most honest approach.

12/2/2019 1:01:12 PM #3

Basically you have to pay regularly for a “Spark of Life” to keep on playing and that is all you have to pay for. With a spark you are basically controlling for a set time an NPC…I think at max it was 52 RL weeks = 52 ingame years…but depending on what you are doing ingame this time can be shorter.

And as already said you should not forget that everything can be lost or destroyed. Even if you buy e.g. a wagon in the shop this just means that you will start with one…but thieves could steal it or a rockfall could destroy it on your first journey.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

12/2/2019 1:32:08 PM #4

thank you for your answers.

so i understood well. But as mentionned by Khazad there are some relevant points...

i'll wait before pledge, even some company change the rules during the process (eg archeage). it could be in agood way but also in wrong.

paying for spark it's ok, i mean it is like a subscription. but paying to have advantages....it is not what i am looking for in a game, that already exist in the real life.

Even for the title i m not feel comfortable with that...

let's see the futur.

Skilpadde - Leviathan's City in Salernum

12/2/2019 2:06:59 PM #5

Posted By Leiywen at 07:23 AM - Mon Dec 02 2019

After release the shop will be reduced to only sparks and basic accounts.

While not everybody will start on the same footing cq some will start as nobles/aristocrats everything can be lost.

While this is the currently stated financial model realize things can (and probably will) change by the time the game releases.

I expect to see more for sale post launch than what has been stated so far, it would be bad business to turn away players who want to spend more money.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

12/2/2019 2:24:25 PM #6

One thing they want to hold for the game as a core principle is the fact that after launch, everything in the world is consistent. Every item, ressource, and so on, are in the world, and you can transform things to other things, destroy things, but never spawn them out of nowhere.

Actually, in Expo we will be able to spawn a lot of things out of nowhere because it's the "Building" phase of the world. Pretty much like a creative mode in Minecraft, to help you shape the world before launch, to make it "your" creation and not only the devs'.

If they change that in the future, it would be either for something that has litterally 0 impact on the game itself (stuff to decorate your own akashuc records in the character.selection menu?) Or CoE would lose one of the things that makes it unique.

12/2/2019 2:45:57 PM #7

Pay to Build during Exposition, after a normal Low fantasy Sand box.

12/2/2019 3:33:21 PM #8

Posted By Fredef at 2:32 PM - Mon Dec 02 2019

Even for the title i m not feel comfortable with that...

Waiting is absolutely ok and just to mention it titles like mayor are not an easy way to get wealthy as these titles will have also disadvantages/obligations.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

12/2/2019 4:38:34 PM #9

Posted By Augustus_Aquila at 08:45 AM - Mon Dec 02 2019

Pay to Build during Exposition, after a normal Low fantasy Sand box.

I think this is a concise way of saying it. Agreed.

The alternative is that we all start as commoners, and SBS makes the world. Although there are trade-offs (like the OP's concerns), I "think" we'll get a more interesting world if players are allowed to make it, and that has to start somewhere, with someone having that ability, tempered by the fact those players can (and will likely) lose everything for the privilege.

Also, waiting is totally fine. No on should be criticized for that. It's not like the game won't need players to join at launch, and beyond, so no one should feel like they HAVE to participate pre-launch to have a great experience.