COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Inheritance of Pets

Hello all!

So the mechanics of 'heir' and 'children' are a bit confusing to me but for the most part I understand it. I do, however, want to ask one question: if my character dies, does my heir inherit my pet? If not, what happens to it?

I am also curious if anyone can link me to a post or page that talks of pet mechanics.

12/4/2019 1:55:31 AM #1

More important, can my pet inherit? If not, can I have my heir inherit only in trust for the benefit and maintenance of a beloved pet?

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

12/4/2019 2:13:08 AM #2

Nice to see people thinking ahead about their pets.

Posted By Beathan at 12:55 PM - Wed Dec 04 2019

More important, can my pet inherit? If not, can I have my heir inherit only in trust for the benefit and maintenance of a beloved pet?

This seems a little extreme though.

12/4/2019 2:22:18 AM #3

maybe a taming/bonding period would likely need to be required for the pet to bond with an heir? The pet would stay with the 8 year old and mother if the father (player) perma'd and ntc'd into the uncle that the pet was never around. also stealing phoenixes is likely to occur and it would likely need to be re-bonded with so that the phoenix doesn't fly away in search of its prior owner. likewise, for any pet.

12/4/2019 2:27:20 AM #4

Posted By Avastar at 6:22 PM - Tue Dec 03 2019

maybe a taming/bonding period would likely need to be required for the pet to bond with an heir? The pet would stay with the 8 year old and mother if the father (player) perma'd and ntc'd into the uncle that the pet was never around. also stealing phoenixes is likely to occur and it would likely need to be re-bonded with so that the phoenix doesn't fly away in search of its prior owner. likewise, for any pet.

I like this idea for the more exotic pets or those harder to tame. However for a pastoral farmer, rebonding with possibly 100's of pets would be awful. Maybe pets considered domestic are just inherited, but a battlecat or something wilder needs some sort of rebonding time.

Alt text - can be left blank

12/4/2019 2:47:29 AM #5

Posted By JohnnyViscerate at 7:27 PM - Tue Dec 03 2019

I like this idea for the more exotic pets or those harder to tame. However for a pastoral farmer, rebonding with possibly 100's of pets would be awful. Maybe pets considered domestic are just inherited, but a battlecat or something wilder needs some sort of rebonding time.

I'd think that it'd be assumed that a heir that grew up on the farm as a child would be bonded with all of the farmer's animals. So, sparking the child heir would not require rebonding. However, sparking the craftsman brother of the farmer that never worked on the farm then moves onto the farm, would.

12/4/2019 3:34:14 AM #6

Posted By Avastar at 6:47 PM - Tue Dec 03 2019

I'd think that it'd be assumed that a heir that grew up on the farm as a child would be bonded with all of the farmer's animals. So, sparking the child heir would not require rebonding. However, sparking the craftsman brother of the farmer that never worked on the farm then moves onto the farm, would.

This would make buying a farm pretty awful for any new players. Let's face facts, in the first 6 months you can expect many players to leave, this is just a reality of any online game. You are a player that started late, you've poured your time into buying a farm from a player that has gone AFK. If this player was relatively successful you might have over a hundred animals that you need to now bond with. I agree that with animals that aren't considered "domestic" some sort of bonding would be a cool idea. Cattle, dogs and horses shouldn't fall under the same rules. This is just punishing any probable new players, which this game needs to succeed.

12/4/2019 4:02:35 AM #7

I also think pets are different from livestock. While farmers have bonds with their livestock it is usually not the same as with a pet. For example, my father's girlfriend owns a ranch with many animals on it. She has one cow that she bottle raised herself. It has a much stronger bond with her than the other livestock do.

I think it'd be reasonable for pets/mounts to need to bond with their owners. Something along the lines of closer proximity (higher trust requirements) to each other requires stronger bonds. Such as a bonded cat snuggles vs eats what is offer but runs away when approached and a horse/giant basilisk could be mounted when bonded (or maybe just broken? and a bonded mount does more?)

12/4/2019 5:09:20 AM #8

Posted By Avastar at 8:02 PM - Tue Dec 03 2019

I also think pets are different from livestock. While farmers have bonds with their livestock it is usually not the same as with a pet. For example, my father's girlfriend owns a ranch with many animals on it. She has one cow that she bottle raised herself. It has a much stronger bond with her than the other livestock do.

I think it'd be reasonable for pets/mounts to need to bond with their owners. Something along the lines of closer proximity (higher trust requirements) to each other requires stronger bonds. Such as a bonded cat snuggles vs eats what is offer but runs away when approached and a horse/giant basilisk could be mounted when bonded (or maybe just broken? and a bonded mount does more?)

Well, you're definitely more the subject matter expert here over me. I just was bringing up difficulties depends on the animal being domestic/neutral/hostile so forth. But I would love for SBS to elaborate more if they can.

12/4/2019 5:14:33 AM #9

Same!

I especially want a pet spider. Not a tiny one. I want a big one that I raise from an egg that I bought from someone that found it after killing a huge monster spider. (i hope it's possible!!)

12/4/2019 2:36:06 PM #10

I do like the idea of a separation between pet bonds and livestock bonds etc. My main concern is that my character dies and the pet runs off before my heir has the chance to properly bond with it. Also, since there are many rare pets, I can't help but wonder about the possibility of someone trying to steal someone else's pet.

12/4/2019 4:06:10 PM #11

Posted By Avastar at 9:14 PM - Tue Dec 03 2019

Same!

I especially want a pet spider. Not a tiny one. I want a big one that I raise from an egg that I bought from someone that found it after killing a huge monster spider. (i hope it's possible!!)

Please name your spider Aragog or Shelob.

12/22/2019 8:33:46 PM #12

Any idea what a pets lifespan is? I don’t like the idea of having a pet, then seeing it die in a year.

I’d also like a giant spider...

12/22/2019 9:09:14 PM #13

Posted By Spider at 12:33 PM - Sun Dec 22 2019

Any idea what a pets lifespan is? I don’t like the idea of having a pet, then seeing it die in a year.

I’d also like a giant spider...

We dont know yet. The devs have said they want to make it realistic, but not to the extent its tedious. Its very much a thing to be figured out in testing.